Massive amounts of MIDI messages being sent

Everything Sub.
ludwig1

Massive amounts of MIDI messages being sent

Post by ludwig1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:33 pm

I have narrowed it down to the Sub 37 using MIDI OX. Please see the screenshot. This is just a fraction of the readout...there are literally thousands of these messages being sent every 30 seconds or so. I am not a MIDI expert but is this normal? When in Cubase the MIDI monitor is going crazy even when I am not pressing any keys.

A related question: because of these messages, the pitch-bend is going crazy on some presets, especially the Minor Bender (B08-P03) because the pitch will start fluctuating as soon as these messages are sent. I should mention, I am not pressing any keys and this is still happening. Please help! Is this a malfunction of the Sub 37? Thank you.
Attachments
midi-ox.png

braddo

Re: Massive amounts of MIDI messages being sent

Post by braddo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:40 am

I'm no expert but there's a setting to change if your synth should provide the clock signal or not (if say you wanted to sync a delay to your arp). That will cut down on half of those messages.

Then if you say an instrument is waggling around can you tweak the mid wheel by hand to make it go off? Maybe the wheel is slightly out of adjustment.

Space Lee

Post by Space Lee » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 am

Looks like one knob or wheel is the culprit, it is trying to decide at which value it should be.
Turn ALL knobs, reset pitchwheel and modulation wheel to their 'zero' positions and then look if it still is happening.
But if you already know which control it is, then you only have to turn one knob or wheel ofcourse :-)
Sub 37 Bob Moog Tribute Edition | Sub Phatty | Win10 pro 64bit | MOTU 828mk3 fw

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:39 am

In addition to the clock messages, there are control messages being sent. These are normally sent only while you are moving a knob, but as Space Lee said, this looks like a case where a knob on the Sub37 is sitting exactly between two values and it can't decide which it should be.

In this case, it's controller 0x76 (hexadecimal), which is 118 (decimal). According to the manual, control 118 is the FEEDBACK/EXT LEVEL knob (the bottom knob in the MIXER section). You might try nudging this knob very slightly one way or another.

This knob shouldn't have any effect on pitch, but perhaps the same thing is happening with the pitch bend wheel on your Sub37. I seem to recall other people having problems with unstable pitch bend. If that's the case, it should do it on all patches, not just certain ones, and you should contact tech support at Moog to see about getting it fixed.

Note that the Minor Bender patch has a sequence attached, so it's supposed to vary in pitch as you hold a key.

--
Moose

ludwig1

Post by ludwig1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Hello and thank you everyone for responding.

Yes, I did pinpoint (after converting from hex to decimal) the FEEDBACK/EXT LEVEL knob was showing in the readout, and after moving this knob the problem went away temporarily. But I am still getting strange pitch-bend performance at unpredictable times. I am aware that the aforementioned preset has pitch-bend in there but I can hear that the whole sequence is slowly changing pitch (for example a C-F-G sequence would eventually start playing a Eb-Ab-Bb sequence GRADUALLY. I don't believe this is normal. The only way to get the patch to sound right is to reload it.
Looks like one knob or wheel is the culprit, it is trying to decide at which value it should be.
I thought the same thing before I posted here. Isn't this a major malfunction that should warrent sending the synth in for repair?

Thanks again for all the great replies; luckily I bought a 2-year service plan through Guitar Center and they have offered to have it sent back for repairs at no cost to me.
Best,
Mike