Stiff filter pot

Everything Sub.
BrokenFetus

Stiff filter pot

Post by BrokenFetus » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:00 am

Just got a new sub37, noticed the filter pot is really stiff compared to my subphatty (which is buttery smooth when turning ). The sub37's filter pot while being a lot stiffer is audible when turning as to where none of the other knobs are. When i say audible, i mean you can hear (not really loud or anything, just lightly) it while it turns without the power/sound on. I would say its like you can hear the resistance if that makes sense. I havent noticed any issues with the actual output sound at all like cutting out or anything like that. Its just stiffer to turn.

Is there something i can do (moog approved of course) myself to try to correct this versus having to send it in or exchange it? I really dont want to have to do that as this is my second one due to having to exchange the first one because of a broken preset/bank button. Plus the finish on this one is perfect compared to the first one i had to exchange :mrgreen:

DrJustice

Re: Stiff filter pot

Post by DrJustice » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:22 pm

From what you tell this appears to be a high serial number unit, the ones with the upgraded filter potentiometer. It's normal that it feels tighter/stiffer than the other pots and makes a very slight noise - that's because it's a sturdy high quality part in the newer units. It'll probably loosen up a little and become smoother with use.

seanpark

Post by seanpark » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:39 am

It's normal. Most of the pots are sealed and have a buttery smooth action but the filter pot is a classic open style, selected for it's robustness. These pots make a little noise when adjusted. It tends to become less noticeable with use. I was going to say it goes away completely but I just wiggled a bunch of knobs on my Dotcom modular and many of them made the same sound! Dotcom uses the same style pot for many of their modules.

BrokenFetus

Post by BrokenFetus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:19 am

Ok. I'd much rather have something that lasts vs issues :)

Its very usable just not as easy to spin fast.

Yes it is a higher number .... in the 8000's if i recall correctly.

I do have an ep-3 ..... when using with the subphatty i didnt seem to get the whole range of the sweep yet but i havent tinkered with it much yet either. I know there is an adjustment knob on the pedal that i probably need to adjust a little.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Subber37

Post by Subber37 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:09 am

BrokenFetus wrote:Ok. I'd much rather have something that lasts vs issues :)

Its very usable just not as easy to spin fast.

Yes it is a higher number .... in the 8000's if i recall correctly.

I do have an ep-3 ..... when using with the subphatty i didnt seem to get the whole range of the sweep yet but i havent tinkered with it much yet either. I know there is an adjustment knob on the pedal that i probably need to adjust a little.

Thanks for the replies guys!
I had read about the metal shaft pots not being as smooth/quiet as the sealed plastic, I'm due to get my dodgy plastic (board) replaced with the upgraded one soon and its a shame about losing that smoothness but like you've said, better to be robust and lasting than super smooth if you have to chose.

However, I'm interested as someone who's (plastic) volume pot has already died (crackly throughout the range) do we think all the other plastic pots on this are due to go bad in short time? single digit years instead of decades? It's not so noticeable on some of the other functions if the pot is bad but it wouldn't surprise me if the whole lot went bad based on these issues. Yes the filter pot has the larger knob and has more use but I barely touched the volume pot and that had it within weeks of buying (new). I just hope they had a bad batch of pots on early units. Gotta say it doesn't fill me with confidence that these pots are going to last as long as Roland ones from the 80s sadly. :(

Subber37

Post by Subber37 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Update. My Sub 37 is all working now, moog sent me a new (metal pot) board which I fitted, this also fixed the headphone distortion (the driver chips for headphone out are on the same board not on the mainboard thankfully).

I don't mind the slightly stiffer action of the new style filter vs my previous plastic one, there's not a lot in it for me but the new one feels a lot sturdier and with less flex (in fact I haven't felt it flex at all with the new one - which has the usual locking nut on the outside but also one on the other side of the panel to really hold it well), yes it has a slight swooosh noise that you can hear if the sound is off but nothing annoying, I mean don't the voyagers have the same metal pots? don't see people complain about that! :) My old polysix has metal (non sealed) pots too, not a problem on that.

Just thought I'd give some info as someone who's had a lot of use with the plastic pot previously and was worried the metal one would feel bad, it doesn't. I'm glad it feels so sturdy now, it inspires confidence in tweaking without worry!