Any Sub 37 & Propellerhead Reason Users?

Everything Sub.
CompNutation

Any Sub 37 & Propellerhead Reason Users?

Post by CompNutation » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:13 am

Hi, I have been integrating my Sub 37 with Reason 8 and I thought it would be good to have a thread for people to document/discuss any problems that they encounter. If there are any other Reason & Sub 37 users on the forum that is......?

I've been using several instances of the EMI instrument to record and playback Midi through the Sub 37. I have found that the Sub 37 loses connection with Reason. Sometimes I get hanging notes that will only be reset by using the Panic function on the Sub 37. Other times I lose connection entirely, especially when I'm switching between different EMI's. The only way I've found to resolve this is by changing the EMI midi port to something different and then back to Sub 37.

The hanging notes is a real bummer and has killed a few jams.

I'm just curious how other Reason users are getting on?

CompNutation

Re: Any Sub 37 & Propellerhead Reason Users?

Post by CompNutation » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 am

*Bump!
Am I the only Reason & Sub 37 user or am I the only one having issues???

fwilleke

Post by fwilleke » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm using Reason for most of my recordings.
Didn't try yet to record MIDI data, I have to admit. I usually play it "live" and record the audio.

But I can try to reproduce it. Are you on Windows or OSX?

Cheers,
Frank
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

15" late 2013 MacBook Pro
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

CompNutation

Post by CompNutation » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:23 am

Hi Frank
Thanks for the response - starting to think everybody was using Ableton!
Ahh ok I have been using the Sub 37 and Reason as a kind of multitrack looper. I find it's good to save the midi file so I can go back and add layers or tweak parameters. To be fair I aint the best keys player!

I'm on OSX. If you can be bothered testing it that would be really helpful. The hanging notes hasn't occurred very often but the EMI losing connection happens fairly frequently. I had two EMI's open and switching midi input between the two and other Reason devices seems to trigger the loss of sync and notes being transmitted.
Ta

fwilleke

Post by fwilleke » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Hehe, I guess there are more Ableton users than Reason users. But for pure recording and mixing, I still prefer Reason. And I'm not a great player either. I'll test it some time this week ;-)
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

fwilleke

Post by fwilleke » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Hm, I did some recording yesterday. I simultaneously used an M-Audio Oxygen 49 (USB), Korg MicroKorg (DIN MIDI) and the Sub 37 (USB) to record MIDI notes, and also let the synths play back recorded MIDI data. Nothing strange happened.
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:56 am

Reason user with sub phatty and sub 37, no major issues with my workflow so far, which is to get a midi sequence that works for me and then record it to audio, and move on. This way I don't have multiple EMI occurrences. The only disclaimer is that the past few month, I have been hosting live jams, and reason has not been used for sequencing, only for audio capturing and track arrangement.

fwilleke

Post by fwilleke » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 am

The only thing that really sucks about Reason is that it can only send MIDI clock to one MIDI interface at a time. Syncing multiple synths and drum machines on multiple MIDI Outs like in Ableton is not possible.

Apart from that, I love that program.
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

CompNutation

Post by CompNutation » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:52 am

Great thanks for the feedback. I think that having multiple EMI's could be the route of my problem. I will experiment with just 1. Definitely having serious issues at times and have to power off the Sub 37.

Yeah the Midi Clock output to 1 source only is a pain. Doesn't seem like it would be a huge deal to duplicate the output.

I love Reason it's great fun to use. The Sub 37 really compliments it very well, fills out tracks and just makes your mixes sound much fuller. Loving the combination.

Cheers for the input : )

friday

Post by friday » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi There,

can someone help me to get the sub37 (sequencer, arp) synced to Reason. If Reason runs and i press the Arp->SYNC button on sub37, the Arp stops to work? Do i have to configure something in the MIDI settings? I can send MIDI Note Data to the sub37 without a problem, but not sync. I have choosen the sub37 in the Reason settings under midi clock out!

Would be nice to get some help!
Thanks

CompNutation

Post by CompNutation » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi

You need to go to the options menu and select sync and then select send midi clock. Its a pain as you have to set it everytime!!

Cheers.