Sub 37 precise tempo on screen

Everything Sub.
umami

Re: Sub 37 precise tempo on screen

Post by umami » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Finally discovered this thread after not believing my eyes. So basically the tempo control for the arp/sequencer is totally imprecise without an external clock. I don't know how this slipped by QC, but jeeeeez. Among being able to see the numerical settings for all the front panel knobs, at the very least we should have precise control over the tempo. C'mon Moog!

breun

Post by breun » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:10 am

If you need the tempo to match the tempo of something else, you need to run both devices using the same clock, or you'll always end up with slight tempo mismatches.

eltho

Post by eltho » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:40 am

any update on this?

Montfrooij

Post by Montfrooij » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:38 am

I really think this dates back to the 'analog' way Moog works.
That is never very precise, but that does make the sound so great.
Now when you are jamming with a band, it is not the biggest deal. If they hear your tempo, they can adjust.
But for any other scenario where you are not synced to an external clock this is critical.

Then again, these days most people will have their s37 sinced to some midi clock I think. So than it is less of an issue.
You use the internal clock when jamming, creating something (exact BPM is not that critical) and hook up the daw (or whatever) when you are happy with what you hear.

Still I agree, a precise BPM adjustment + monitoring option would be the best for flexibility.
Plus it should not be that hard (not hindered by any inside knowledge this is easy to write....)

jonspace

Post by jonspace » Thu May 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Any updates on this? The Sub/Subsequent 37 synthesizers do not respond well to clocks from DAW or other sources. A work around would be to have a BPM readout on the instrument, which would make it possible to arrange it in time on a DAW after recording it. The software editor has numerical (non BPM) values on the Rate/BPM section, but it is not a linear relationship to BPM. Therefore, even if you plot values at various increments to get a ratio - its far too imprecise to make it usable.

Montfrooij

Post by Montfrooij » Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 am

I have to say it works good with my daw clock.
Took me a while to figure it out with Reason, but it works now.
Even sending the clock via midi cable to my effects pedal to sync the delay works (set echo DIN to USB and remember to disable other usb messages, otherwise the pedal will change parameters when I use the S37 knobs :) ) .

I wish it had the BPM value on the display indeed, but the external daw clock works good for me.