Sub Phatty + Mother 32 vs Sub 37

Everything Sub.
CompNutation

Sub Phatty + Mother 32 vs Sub 37

Post by CompNutation » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:54 pm

Hi All

I'm new here and I'm looking for some help to buy my first (hardware) synth. I'll be taking my setup on the bus etc so portability is an issue but I will use the keys as my controller. I've narrowed my choices to either.

Sub 37 - quite large but extra octave, lots of modulation options, sequencer/arp, plenty patch storage, paraphonic, tons of knobs an buttons - just sounds like a versatile beast!

Sub Pahtty + Moog Mother 32 - should contrast with each other well (altho there doesn't seem to be any examples of this on the web - am I missing something?), easier to carry (mother in my interface bag) less octaves, mother seems to have that fat, rich warm sound that Sub 37 an SubPhatty don't quite seem to get to + CV routing to Phatty : )

If anybody has any experience of mother an Phatty together your thoughts would be appreciated? Or just any general advice.
How are the editors - specifically can I use the Phatty editor live - load new presets an tweak hidden parameters? Is the sub 37 heavy/awkward in a gig bag? Both setups would work out about the same price. Veering to the Sub 37.

Aggghhhh my heads gonna explode : )

Thanks for any help you can offer!

paul_sub37

Re: Sub Phatty + Mother 32 vs Sub 37

Post by paul_sub37 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:56 am

mother seems to have that fat, rich warm sound that Sub 37 an SubPhatty don't quite seem to get to
the 37 has multidrive, a feedback circuit(which sounds very different to just routing headphones to the external audio in), and oscillator overdrive/distortion, and 4 filter slopes to choose from - so there's a lot of scope to get fat, warm bass and fill in lost lower frequencies when resonance is pushed up.

I recall nick @ sonicstate talking about the mother 32 filter and it sounded like he was disappointed compared to the 37 - I think it was in one of the sonictalks before christmas.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

CompNutation

Post by CompNutation » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:28 am

I recall nick @ sonicstate talking about the mother 32 filter and it sounded like he was disappointed compared to the 37 - I think it was in one of the sonictalks before christmas.
Thanks for chipping in! I think I might have watched this about 3000 videos ago! I guess there's something in the mother sound that is more akin to the slim and little phattys, at least in my limited synth knowledge and the vids I've watched.

Do you have any experience of using the sub phatty editor? I'm thinking if it works well as a plugin and I can manipulate the hidden functions and swap patches on the fly in a live situation, then I may be best saving some money on the 37 and getting the Sub.
Cheers

CompNutation

Post by CompNutation » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:04 pm

My posts are taking hours to appear and I start to doubt I've even written them...so apologies if I repeat myself! Thanks for your input. Nick did indeed seem pretty taken with the sub 37 tho.
I seen a deal on an ex-demo sub 37 and just went for it. It seems to have a much wider sonic palette than the sub and the way it's self contained will suit my workflow better than too many units, I think.
Cancelled all plans for the next 6 months.
EXCITED :mrgreen:

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:17 am

Sorry, no experience with the sub phatty or its editor - just the sub 37 and its pre-release editor, which is great.

The mod possibilities on the 37 are pretty staggering - you can use things like filter envelope looping to create strong bell sounds! I hope you like yours as much as I do.

When you first start posting on the forum, it seems the folks at Moog moderate a few of the initial posts. so they can take a while to show up. Even weirder, they can show up mid thread as their position is based on when typed, not when approved!

I don't know how many posts it takes to get it to real-time unmoderated, but it's only a handful at most.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

CompNutation

Post by CompNutation » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:38 am

the mod possibilities on the 37 are pretty staggering
I've been reading and watching loads and confident I've made the right choice. My synth programming is basic and restricted to software. Reason has awesome CV routing capabilities but I'm sure the real thing is tons more fun. The quick access mod destination function and the improved sequencer settings look great fun.

Hah well by the time my posts were up I had already bought the thing!! Guess I just needed to write it down.

It wasn't really in my budget but - I could be dead tomorrow and today I want to play a Moog 8)

Thanks for your help!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Your posts take time to appear since you're in your first ones on the forum. It will last few, don't worry.
Welcome, then :)

I think you did the right choice: don't bother with cables, enjoy the all integrated stuff and buy a M32 later if you miss it then.

Tenderosa

Post by Tenderosa » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:40 pm

I'd make an argument for the Sub Phatty & Mother rather than the 37 just for flexibility sake. There is two complete synth voices there that sound quite different and can be sequenced and processed/played independently. While there is more modulation on the 37 vs Sub the Sub voice is pretty similar to the 37 and there is a lot of modulation coming out of the Mother patch points you can run to the Sub as well as having the sequencer from the 37 in the M32. You'd be giving up the paraphonic duo function on the 37 but getting two completely separate voices and a more complex adaptable system I'd argue.

I run a Sub plus a Doepfer Dark Energy which is similar to the M32 functionality wise minus the sequencer and find it very versatile having two synths rather than one. I think the Sub editor is great but I've never tried loading patches on the fly in a live situation, the 16 on board memories have been enough. I'd imagine though that the DAW you are running the editor in could send those per song on the fly.

------------------------
(edit) Sorry I just noticed you'd said you already ordered the 37! Forget all that, but if a 37 is in your future you'll have an even more flexible system!

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:03 pm

I still say a Sub P paired wit the Sub 37 is pretty awesome... Can get a Sub P at a good price.

CompNutation

Post by CompNutation » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:45 pm

I received my Sub 37 on Friday and have been down the bottom of a soundhole ever since! This things awesome. Spent hours getting lost in each section. The envelopes are really dynamic. I managed to get a couple of patches going using duo mode to play bass and melody with the osc 1 & 2 but I have read on here people have managed a makeshift keyboard spli hmmmm???
Welcome, then :)
I'd make an argument for the Sub Phatty & Mother rather than the 37 just for flexibility sake.
This was initially what I thought and would agree with you that it would be more flexible. As I will be integrating with my DAW and soft synths I felt that having 2 hardware synths would probably end up melting my brain!!! Probably best to learn 1 at a time.

Thanks for the input!

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:15 pm

I really, and I mean REALLY love having both a Little Phatty and a Sub37. They go together beautifully. I even forget my Voyager when jamming with this delicious pair.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

CompNutation

Post by CompNutation » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:24 am

I really, and I mean REALLY love having both a Little Phatty and a Sub37
Sounds like an awesome combo. Hah, I may have to wait sometime before I can get away with another big purchase tho!
paul_sub37 wrote:
Ahh it was your post I was reading about the duo patch. I just watched your video and it was really helpful thanks! I suppose if you really wanted to go to town you could setup your DAW to split and process the bass and melody for further diversity. Sounds very well defined with the split you've made.....maybe adding some delay in my DAW to just the melody would be really cool!
Work is really getting in the way of my new toy....... :evil: