Sub 37 Expansion Options?

Everything Sub.
DaveBee

Sub 37 Expansion Options?

Post by DaveBee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:27 pm

Hi all. I have had my Sub 37 for almost a year now and still loving it and I am trying to think of some additional sound expansion options.

My original thought was to order 2 Mother-32s to use a stand alone pair of voices (already on order). So I guess my question is whether to continue with this plan or possibly modify it.

Issue #1 is bass. Problem is I love the bass sound so much I tend to always use it for that sound and I would really like to have that bass sound available while exploring other sounds at the same time. One consideration is a Minitaur for dedicated bass. Second option is a Mother 32 for (mostly) bass. Third is a Sub Phatty for bass. I do have an available 2 octave midi keyboard already waiting.

Issue #2 Sub 37 sound expansion. Primary consideration is adding a Mother-32 as a third voice with midi connection from Sub 37. Also wondering about adding a mooger fooger Ring Modulator (or some other mooger fooger). If I am triggering with the Sub 37 then I would want gear that enhanced and expanded on the already existing Sub 37 sounds for use in lead/pad type sounds.

Appreciate any perspectives, especially from people who have already gone down these paths.

Thanks, Dave

breun

Re: Sub 37 Expansion Options?

Post by breun » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:31 pm

The first things I like to add to a synthesizer is reverb and delay. Do you already have those ready to go?

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:38 pm

I don't have a dedicated reverb/delay. However I do have 3 Strymon pedals I share with all my synths using a mixer send/return. Mobius, Timeline and Big Sky. Would love to have a dedicated MF104M delay for the Sub 37 but that's fairly pricy.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:48 pm

if you are talking bass how about a Minitaur?

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Yes I specifically mentioned the Minitaur. I don't know sound and feature wise it compares bass wise to the Sub 37 or to the Mother-32 however. That's what I am hoping to gain some clarification on from experienced users.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:13 pm

I bought two minitaurs to use with my sub37. They are great independently OR polychained to the sub37.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DUBMCT

Post by DUBMCT » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:18 pm

with my 37 i found myself typically locked into an arp/bass line then i felt the need to be able to play on top of it - my subphatty or micro did this but then mother came home.
So now the 32 is connected midi to the 37, and the arpeggios i used to use, have devolved into single notes bouncing up/down an octave, and the 32 has had almost all the knob twisting/patching- so much so i think the 37 is feeling a bit envious.
I run them all thru a mixer and add delay mostly to the 32 via aux's
With the 37 running the 32 via midi you can still manually play the mini keyboard on it and get some interesting results. The phatty and micro are collecting dust these days.

So, i think when your 32's show up you will have your hands full, and preconceived ideas of what you think you will be doing will go out the window as the sonic palate is incredible. I know they did for me.
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:19 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:I bought two minitaurs to use with my sub37. They are great independently OR polychained to the sub37.
Nice. How would you say the bass of a minitaur compares to a Sub 37 in terms of sound shaping? Any limitations? I do like the idea of putting an expression pedal on the filter for bass also, that works really well on the Sub 37.

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:26 pm

DUBMCT wrote:with my 37 i found myself typically locked into an arp/bass line then i felt the need to be able to play on top of it - my subphatty or micro did this but then mother came home.
Yes that is precisely what I am feeling currently.
DUBMCT wrote: So now the 32 is connected midi to the 37, and the arpeggios i used to use, have devolved into single notes bouncing up/down an octave, and the 32 has had almost all the knob twisting/patching- so much so i think the 37 is feeling a bit envious.
I run them all thru a mixer and add delay mostly to the 32 via aux's
With the 37 running the 32 via midi you can still manually play the mini keyboard on it and get some interesting results. The phatty and micro are collecting dust these days.
Sounds great!
DUBMCT wrote: So, i think when your 32's show up you will have your hands full, and preconceived ideas of what you think you will be doing will go out the window as the sonic palate is incredible. I know they did for me.
Cool. I think I was concerned that I would end up wanting to use two mothers together for new sounds ... but then still want a dedicated bass synth (I think 2 units of anything is my budget limit). I suppose I could choose to play one as a separate bass, and one as Sub 37 expander, or together as a pair depending on my current musical mood. Thanks for the feedback.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Yes now I see you mentioned the Minitaur. That will teach me to reply to anything before my morning coffee.

I owned a LP for a couple of years, I own a S37,a Minitaur and Werkstatts. My favorite for overall sound is the Minitaur. I find the sound to be more alive with more of ripping kind of growl to it ( I hate describing sound). If Moog made a full range synth with the Minitaur synth engine I'd be all over it. If I'm missing something on the S37 please let me know Because I've not found it. Don't get me wrong love the S37 but it's not my fave of the bunch. I've not heard M32 in person so I can't compare. Good luck