New member with new Sub 37...problems :(

Everything Sub.
Blueshound

New member with new Sub 37...problems :(

Post by Blueshound » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi everybody,

I have just taken delivery of my first new Moog a Sub 37. However when I started using it I encountered some problems. I was hoping that I could get some advice from the good people here. The first problem I encountered was a loss of output volume accompanied by some crackling noise, the first time this happened I switched the synth off and on and this seemed to cure it. Unfortunately a short while later the same thing happened again (twice), but, on these occasions the sound could still be heard albeit VERY faint. After a while it seemed to stop doing this. Then, the first time I put it into 'panel' mode I got not no sound out of it whatsoever. At this point I hadn't touched any of the controls (apart from the volume) as I was only going through the presets. All of the mixer pots were on full and the 2 oscillator and sub lights were on. I couldn't get anything out of the synth at all, until I started turning the controls in the mixer section down?!?!?! Anyhoo, I turned the synth off for an hour or so and tried it briefly before going to bed, it seemed fine. I have tried it again today after work (briefly) and it seems ok... When I took delivery the synth was COLD, it had been in the couriers van all day, so could the problems I experienced be due to this? My worry is that this unit has issues and may exhibit further problems in the future, despite seeming ok now, so should I return this one, or should it be ok? I'm not used to electronic equipment with a fault suddenly getting better!!!! :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Blueshound

franklinstower

Re: New member with new Sub 37...problems :(

Post by franklinstower » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:23 am

How is it now? Any more problems?

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:32 am

sounds like a faulty or dirty volume knob...did you give it a good twist back and forth?

Blueshound

Post by Blueshound » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:17 am

franklinstower wrote:How is it now? Any more problems?
Hi,

I was away for a few days over Christmas, and I have only tried it briefly since I got back yesterday. The initial problems I encountered don't seem to be present, but I did notice that the bank seemed to be changing rather than the preset (without the bank button being pressed). I am going to speak to the dealer (again) today as I don't have any confidence in this particular unit, also the display is not straight, had everything else been ok I probably would have not bothered about this. To be honest this experience is making me question whether or not I should even try another 37 or if I might be better off looking elsewhere. Despite being a guitarist I've been playing around with synths for the last 35 years or so (my first album was all synth based). I have owned many synths over the years and I have never had one with any issues from new, let alone as many as this particular one seems to have. :(

B

Blueshound

Post by Blueshound » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:22 am

Blackout wrote:sounds like a faulty or dirty volume knob...did you give it a good twist back and forth?
Hi,

Sadly, I don't think so, as all signal was lost switching into 'panel' mode, but it did sound like it could have been that sort of issue when just playing the presets.

B

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:41 am

I hear you about the problems with your sub 37. Some other people have had problems also but one thing to mention is that Moog will make it right with you and the sub 37 is a hell of a synth. I've had mine about a year and it is just growing on me more and more over time. It is not a disappointing synth at all.

Blueshound

Post by Blueshound » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:21 pm

franklinstower wrote:I hear you about the problems with your sub 37. Some other people have had problems also but one thing to mention is that Moog will make it right with you and the sub 37 is a hell of a synth. I've had mine about a year and it is just growing on me more and more over time. It is not a disappointing synth at all.
Thanks, I've returned it to the dealer. They will have had it back by now, so I'm going to ring them tomorrow. I've already told them that I don't want that particular one back, but they're saying that they have to check it out first. I'm concerned as all of the faults seem to be intermittant, but I'll have to wait to see what they say. As the purchase was made over the phone I have 14 days to return anyway. However if they can't find a fault then they may want to charge me for the return courier. If this is the case I will have to swallow it, but I won't be taking a replacement. I will then have a rethink, if they're ok I will get a replacement, we shall see. Thanks for your input.

B

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Where are you located and what dealer are you using?
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Blueshound

Post by Blueshound » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:32 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:Where are you located and what dealer are you using?
I'm in the UK, using GAK (Guitar Amp & Keyboard) in Brighton.

Blueshound

Post by Blueshound » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:44 am

Well, looks like good news. They are sending me a brand new replacement. It should be with me tomorrow. :)

StarskyCarr

Post by StarskyCarr » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:28 pm

That's good news.

FYI I bought one from Thomann and had to send it back as the keys were misaligned and had to be 'clicked' into place. Some continued to make a clicking noise when playing. I returned it and got a brand new replacement from them.

... it's perfect :)
Mac Pro 2008
OSX 10.9.5
Logic 10.1.1
MIDI via USB

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:40 pm

Blueshound wrote:Well, looks like good news. They are sending me a brand new replacement. It should be with me tomorrow. :)

I am really glad to hear that. I don't think you will be disappointed at all with it. I play in an improvisational jam band that also plays some gospel songs and folk tunes and also enters into chanting and toning improvs. I play bass on the Moog Sub 37 along with an acoustic violin player, two world drummers and an electric guitar. The Sub can do so much, it can play such smooth pure sounding bass that it sounds perfect in all of the beautiful folk songs we do and it can enter into really deep improvisational waters for the jam parts of our playing (it goes exceptionally well with the violin- like we are dancing) and it can go into deep drones for the rest of the band to play over the top of.

So much range on this thing. I hope you are happy with it once you get it and that you post on this thread once you have formed an opinion.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:02 am

Blueshound, I hope the new one is serving you well.

Was the cracklkng in the earphone or line out? I had the same issue with intermittent crackling in the earphone jack from the one I bought in November and so did they other people on this thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24075 Based on the date on the underside, mine had been made in October and so maybe Moog had a bad batch of headphone amps that week?

Regardless, I was able to exchange mine at the dealer for a new one (made in December) and couldn't be happier!
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

Blueshound

Post by Blueshound » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Well, the new 37 has arrived. None of the issues I had with the first one, but..... one of the preset buttons was hanging out, after pushing it back in and giving it a wiggle it seems to be ok, also another one of the preset buttons needs to be pressed MUCH harder than the others to make it work. I know it's a small thing but, when I pay over £1000 for something, I don't expect ANY faults, no matter how small. As a brand Moog presents itself as a premium brand, selling quality products along with a price tag to match. So, I have to make a decision, whether or not to 'put up' with the problem or maybe give up on owning a Moog. I've had quite a few different synths over the years, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Sequential Circuits (remember them?) and, maybe I've been lucky, but no problems. I've bought new, second hand from shops, even off of ebay...... I'll see tomorrow :(

Blueshound

Post by Blueshound » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:21 am

MaxFerency wrote:Blueshound, I hope the new one is serving you well.

Was the cracklkng in the earphone or line out? I had the same issue with intermittent crackling in the earphone jack from the one I bought in November and so did they other people on this thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24075 Based on the date on the underside, mine had been made in October and so maybe Moog had a bad batch of headphone amps that week?

Regardless, I was able to exchange mine at the dealer for a new one (made in December) and couldn't be happier!
Yes, the crackling was on the headphone out, and mine was also an October model, my replacement was made in November.