Sub 37 pre-release Editor 0.9.25 + firmware version 1.1.13

Everything Sub.
cbright9

Re: Sub 37 pre-release Editor 0.9.25 + firmware version 1.1.

Post by cbright9 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:20 am

Has anyone used the sequencer in standalone mode yet?
Im curious to see if their head is as much a bowl of mush as mine.
Moog LP StageII, Moog Sub37, Moog Midi Murf, Arturia MiniBrute, DSI Prophet 08, Akai MPC1000 JJos128XL, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Korg MS2000.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:40 am

Not sure what you mean. I find I mostly use the editor running as a standalone app (ie non VST), and find it really unlocks the sequencer's power.

I found the interface very intuitive for all the usual note entry/editing stuff, and now that modulation and velocity values can be precisely entered, they can be easily used to create more complex patches.

Is there some specific aspect of it that you're finding hard to work with?
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

midilifestyle

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Loving this so far.

One issue I've found though is that the aftertouch seems to work in reverse. At 100%, applying aftertouch routed to filter cutoff, for example, sweeps the filter frequency down, and at -100% it sweeps it up. That's different than the hardware, no? I know that the different shaping sources interact with one another, so it might be that it's the same but I'm missing something because I'm not used to seeing all the parameters displayed.

cbright9

Post by cbright9 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:43 pm

paul_sub37 wrote: Is there some specific aspect of it that you're finding hard to work with?

Well For starters I guess I don't really know too much about programming sequences with this. I thought I did but after my failed attempt, its got me questioning myself.

I guess what my first problem is that I don't understand whats going on.
When I start a new patch I have the knob set to seq, I hold a key and I hear a note playing like I would expect it to. When I advance a step so that I have 2 identical steps all sound stops.
I haven't changed anything except adding a step. I can see in the lcd that there are now 2 steps and when the key is pressed I see the play symbol and the steps advancing to the second step but no sound, when I let go I see the pause symbol and no advancement in steps. This seems normal except there is no sound weather the key is pressed or not.
I will tell you that the pitch1 reads C-2 pitch2 reads C-2 velocity 0 modulation 128 rest / tie neither is checked nor is skip / ratchet. This is identical for step 2.
I guess I don't understand what the pitch 1 and pitch 2 are, I thought I did, again, this is kind of making me doubt what I thought I knew about sequencing. Hence my head turning to mush after a giant dose of frustration and confusion.

I hate to turn this into a tutorial on an unreleased editor but it sounds like its working for everyone else and I just don't know what I'm doing. If you would shine some light on this for me Id appreciate it. I love the sound of this machine and I could love it a bit more but I'm just not getting the operational part and I want to really badly.
Moog LP StageII, Moog Sub37, Moog Midi Murf, Arturia MiniBrute, DSI Prophet 08, Akai MPC1000 JJos128XL, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Korg MS2000.

Targetdrew

Post by Targetdrew » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:47 am

Hey guys,

This Editor is amazing! Really digging the GUI and Librarian. I haven't been able to connect at all in VST FX mode with my sequencer. I add the Moog Sub 37 Midi Instrument and then a Mono Channel with the FX on then add that to a Midi Channel as well and nothing I do allows the Moog to connect with the VST FX. I have no issues connecting it Stand Alone. I have Moog Sub 37 for In and Out and nothing on KB.

Any suggestions or anyone else encountering this?

Thanks guys.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:14 am

When I start a new patch I have the knob set to seq, I hold a key and I hear a note playing like I would expect it to. When I advance a step so that I have 2 identical steps all sound stops.
I've not got the time I'd ideally like to try and help with your situation, and am writing this without the 37 in front of me, but a few things to try are to check that you've not created a midi loop if you have a DAW open eg if your DAW is active it may be listening for midi from the 37 and outputting midi received back to the 37. When sequences play on the 37 it sends midi out for the notes played too, so the DAW would be sending those received notes back to the 37.

It might be worth entering higher pitches and cranking up the velocity too as the preset you're using could have issues with those defaults.

pitch 1 and pitch 2 are the 2 notes you would be playing in DUO mode - obviously they have no effect if you are not using a DUO mode preset.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

cbright9

Post by cbright9 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:36 pm

paul_sub37 wrote:
It might be worth entering higher pitches and cranking up the velocity too as the preset you're using could have issues with those defaults.
This was exactly my problem, as it turns out I'm not the idiot I though I was. Or am I?
So my next suggestion to moog is that the seq editors default note might be middle C? I have to scroll up pretty far to get to a note that is actually use. Maybe there's a setting that allows you to set a default note? Thanks Paul for your response.

Targetdrew

Post by Targetdrew » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:27 pm

Hey guys. I am using Windows 10 and now have the VST FX Editor for Moog running perfectly. Now I can't use the Knobs, Mod & Pitch Wheel to automate my EMU 6400 Ultra or VST Synths using the Sub 37 as a controller. Anyone else run into this issue? I've been through each setting possible in combination with MIDI, USB, using my Midisport 4x4 and unhooking it.

Thank you

Targetdrew

Post by Targetdrew » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:40 pm

I also notice that the Moog doesn't record the automation for the VST FX Editor but I can with my mouse. That tells me that the Moog can't control knobs from VST anymore or automate. Only keys record. When I had everythong going on Windows 7, I couldn't get the VST FX to connect but I could control more with the Moog for Midi / VST Instruments / FX. I'm sure this is being worked on.

TVPC

Post by TVPC » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:21 pm

I'm having some trouble in Ableton 9.5 and it doesn't have anything to do with the editor. I set it up correctly as an external instrument and when I play, viola! It controls the Sub 37 output. The problem is after I record said patch to an audio track (waveform and everything looks great, nothing weird here) the MIDI from the external instrument (sub 37) is still being triggered NO MATTER WHAT. I have even turned the midi track off and soloed the audio channel with the recorded patch and no matter what the hell I do that channel still triggers the MIDI sending to the synth even if only the audio track is soloed, and they both play together and it sounds awful and phasey... it is very confusing, frustrating and limiting as well.

I cannot have more than one instance of a sub 37 track controlling MIDI in this configuration either, as Ableton doesn't know which track to play and they all trigger at the same time not matter what. Obviously, the sub 37 only reads one channel of MIDI at a time and is a monophonic synth, so in this configuration it is utterly useless to me and my workflow. Before the editor I just used a MIDI track sending MIDI to the sub 37 and could have as many instances of this with different MIDI data/notes as I wanted with no problem, as long as the MIDI tracks were turned off obviously. When the tracks were turned off they were not triggered and all I would hear is the recorded audio from the synth (which is the way it should be) if the said audio channel was on.

Not sure what the problem here is, but it must be an issue with with ableton's "external instrument" plugin. I know if only the editor could work on the latter MIDI channel configuration I mentioned then there would be no issue, but this is not the case for whatever reason. Is anybody else having this issue with Ableton's "external instrument"? Please help!!

Targetdrew

Post by Targetdrew » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:34 pm

I am not sure if the Sub 37 is meant to be a Multi Synth with 16 channels. Let me know if you figure out a way to run this synth with multiple channels at once.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:46 pm

You can set the midi channel to 1-16 or ALL via the midi menu - but this just determines which channel(s) the device listens to.

It sounds like you think the sub 37 can play different things on different channels, which it can't.

TVPC

Post by TVPC » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:38 pm

I must have not stated my problem properly. I know I can't run more than one channel of MIDI at a time with the moog, it is a monophonic synth afterall :D my problem lies in creating separate instances of an external instrument rack. Say I made 3 instances of the sub 37 with the "external instrument" rack all with different presets, I would only have one channel enabled at a time (of course), but it allows me to keep the patch I make as a reference just in case I want to alter something after I bounce it to audio without changing the original patch. The problem is even if I turn off ALL of the instances, the first track I made is STILL triggering the sub 37... it is quite frustrating, especially when there is bounced audio playing too, because then phasing and unwanted gain boosting occurs because of the audio and the MIDI track playing together. I don't want to/shouldn't have to unplug the sub 37's output and remake a patch inside my DAW everytime I want to playback bounced audio and make a new patch. I don't have this issue in Ableton when I make a MIDI track with no instrument rack (how I was working it before the editor was out), but then I can't use the sub 37 editor and save my patch, just the MIDI notes and automation are saved. It seems that this problem seems to be Ableton specific, and specifically with Ableton's "external instrument" rack. Has anyone had any troubles/experience with this? The problem is not with the editor, but because the editor only works with a an "external instrument" rack, I am having this issue. I just wish that the editor would work for a normal MIDI track as a standalone without the need for the external instrument rack in Ableton, because as it stands this is he only way to run the editor. Please help! :D

braddo

Post by braddo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:42 pm

I know the editor has been long in coming but anyone know when it will go to production?

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:31 am

Has anyone had any troubles/experience with this? The problem is not with the editor, but because the editor only works with a an "external instrument" rack, I am having this issue.
I just tried to duplicate your issue and set up a midi monitor on it and ended up going down a different rabbit-hole regarding midi loops being caused on preset changes (which I've reported separately), but I see what you mean about ableton's external instruments working regardless of the host track settings - you can disable the external instruments themselves though using the round yellow "device activator" button at the top left of each unwanted external instrument device.