`OMG` it is amazing.

Everything Sub.
Glynbo

`OMG` it is amazing.

Post by Glynbo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi all, my Sub 37 TE arrived this afternoon and all I can say is `WOW`. Instant gratification straight out of the box. I have had my Pro 2 since April and still I have not connected with it, yet a few hours and I already feel at home with the Sub 37, the filter is fatter than me :lol: and thats saying something. Its like the last time I owned a Moog back in the early eighties with my MiniMoog :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Cheers Glynbo.

jtyrer

Re: `OMG` it is amazing.

Post by jtyrer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:43 pm

yeah it is amazing indeed glynbo and i had the same thing as you with the PRO 2(i actually sold that to fund the sub37)...as soon as you turn it on it just rolls out quality,sound,knob function,user friendly,just everything is outstanding on this synth...best moog ive had

now for the editor.......

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:47 pm

I can attest to this - goodness just pours out of it :D

Had my buddy over this weekend for some jamming, and the Sub 37 was put through its paces. We got one amazing, pleasant sound after another, and we got something beautiful to rest our eyes on. It's a very inspiring instrument for sure. Can it even be made to sound anything but excellent? :P

Glynbo

Post by Glynbo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks guys, it`s really a lovely instrument, very tactile, very user friendly and very rewarding, it has quality running through its veins. I am now looking forward to tomorrow to program some `Redshift` style sequences into it. Cheers Glyn.

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:16 pm

I got my Sub 37 last spring and then followed with a Pro 2 for greater variety of sounds. I have to admit that even though the Pro 2 does have more sound design capabilities and is good for pads, the Sub 37 is becoming my favourite instrument. It just sounds and feels good in most settings and gives me a warm glow every time I hear it's warm earthy tones :D

dmodhotr

Post by dmodhotr » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Glynbo wrote:Its like the last time I owned a Moog back in the early eighties with my MiniMoog :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Cheers Glynbo.
It's amazing to hear how many people say it reminds them of 'classic' Moog synths. Having never owned a classic Moog, only the modern offerings, I can't fully relate.
But there was something about it when I first saw the SUBs, more so the Sub 37 that just appeals to me in a modern/vintage way. It looks and sounds like an instant classic.
I knew I wanted the Sub 37 from the first time I laid eyes on it. The demos I heard of presets didn't do it justice. It sounds so thick and juicy. You can get insane with it quick or get sounds you thought would never come from a Moog. Sounds that you would think should be coming from a Eurorack modular.

Btw, I was leaning Pro 2 as well at one point based on it's specs. Could not justify it though with the overlap of the Prophet 12 I have. The Sub 37 is a keeper for sure and instant gratifaction.
It was everything we wanted the Little Phatty to be but wasn't. :wink:

Greenbacker

Post by Greenbacker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:19 pm

I sold my Pro 2, bought the 37. Couldn't be happier.

For some reason I still want my Sub Phatty back too though. :)

Frenzies

Post by Frenzies » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Ive never had an instrument with such an inspiring arpeggiator / sequencer section. Love it.

goodweather

Post by goodweather » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Interesting topic and nice to read all fellings about Sub37 and Pro2!
I just got myself a Pro2 and find it fantastic. I like almost 50% of the presets and I'm eager to play with all params and the sequencer.
I have the Sub37 since several months and never got that enthusiasm... Don't like so much the sound of the presets (many seems quite detuned).
Now I hooked it up to a multi-effect and with good delay and reverb it starts getting interesting.

All depends of what ones like like as sound...héhé...

So, I'm curious to hear what you are doing with your Sub37 and what kind of sounds you are using it for?
You can refer to presets to give some kind of reference.
I was planning to use it for bass lines and for drones.
So, what about you?

ziggomatic

Post by ziggomatic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Since Amos said that the Sub 37 is a "modular synth in a convenient package" i always try to make some "modular" sounds with it. i really like it for textures, atmospheres and subtle leads. i owned it for a year and i haven't made a bass sound with it yet hehe

with reverb and delay this synth is $%#Y$% awesome! :D

Targetdrew

Post by Targetdrew » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Sub 37 is the phattest synth I have played with period. I did a Init Patch test before buying it and did the VS. with the Virus TI2. As soon as I ran the Bass test, the FDBK and Multidrive did something that I couldnt get out of anything I had played with in the past. I love hooking this thing up to External FX as the tones are so nice. Can get some great results for any sound you want. I have this, EMU 6400 and Roland Fantom X. I always go to the Moog for bass and synths and everything else follows it's lead. I'm not sure if anyone had ran into the AC Hum on the 37. I did and it drove me nuts when recording. I have a MOTU 896 MK3 Hybrid and when I connected it instant hum. I could deal with it if I changed my channel to "Pad" mode which cuts the amount of dB that runs through the channel but I picked up this :

http://www.amazon.ca/Ebtech-HE-2-XLR-El ... B00101WA4C

and it killed all the noise that the connection created then I could put the amp mode off of "Pad" on the Motu and it's golden.

That is my 2 cents. This machine does things I don't think other Moog's can do as well.

Enjoy!

ziggomatic

Post by ziggomatic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:38 pm

maybe it's the audio interface because mine is hooked to an Universal Audio Apollo Twin and it's fine. personally i always put the volume of my patches at 50% and it's enough with compression/EQ

goodweather

Post by goodweather » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:23 pm

@Ziggomatic: would you agree to share some of your texttures/atmosphere sounds (.syx files for example) or point to a soundcloud link I could listen to? Thx!

HicoMe

Post by HicoMe » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:09 am

Hello together,
goodweather wrote:Interesting topic and nice to read all fellings about Sub37 and Pro2! ...
I have the Sub37 since several months and never got that enthusiasm... Don't like so much the sound of the presets ...
I own the Sub 37 since September 2014 and I really like it, but as far as I remember, I didn´t liked any of the Moog-factorypresets ... They just gave me a little "overview" about the possibilities of soundcreation with that little machine. But as I said, I mean to remember, that there is no factorypreset inside, that I really liked as it was programmed from the Moog-guys - too much grandstanding in my opinion ... Normally I take an init-sound for creating my own sounds "from scratch".

Best regards and good hands on your Moogs ... Have a good start into 2016
Heiko
My current Moogs: Sub 37
My former Moogs: Minimoog Model D, heavily selfmodified Prodigy, Satellite, Etherwave Theremin

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:55 am

With factory presets you always have to consider that they were done on prototype units. Some of the parameters were not fully baked, others were radically changing, and some of the programming possibilities that were learned over time had not been exploited yet.

Since the Sub 37's presets can be saved as a single file, I recommend backing it up and then filling the unit entirely with INIT PRESETs.

Then create 256 of your own presets. You won't regret it (and, if you do, you can always put the factory presets back).
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _