Sub 37 as MIDI controller (beat step pro or maschine)

Everything Sub.
braddo

Sub 37 as MIDI controller (beat step pro or maschine)

Post by braddo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm nuts for the moog sound and have pretty much decided on getting the Sub 37.

However, I would also like to pick up a sequencer (/sampler) like the beat step pro (/maschine) and I'm wondering how easy it will be to use the Sub 37 as a *midi controller* for either of these devices, I guess primarily to associate pitch events to sounds/samples. First, will it actually work, second will I need any intermediate midi patching gear or software? It would be so great to not have a computer staring me in the face as that's already pretty much always the case at work.

I think there have also been a few posts on this board about actually controlling the Sub 37/Phatty from sequencers which seems hit or miss, hopefully fixed in firmware?

Main thing is I'd like to have as little actual gear on the desk as possible but without major compromise in sonic possibilities.

I have an m-audio oxygen25 laying around (and considered using it with say a minitaur or slim phatty) but thought it would be better to get the full dial bonanza and beauty of the Sub 37.

So, net, will I be able to just plug a usb from the Sub 37 to beat step pro or maschine and use it as a midi controller in addition to the awesome instrument it already is?

Thanks!

mmarsh100

Re: Sub 37 as MIDI controller (beat step pro or maschine)

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:09 am

Maschine will not work without a computer. The beatstep will hook to the Sub 37 via MIDI so you can use it's sequencer and tools to drive the Sub. Using the Sub to control the beatstep doesn't really make sense since the beatstep is not a sound source.

All that said, the Sub by itself has a terrific sequencer on board and an arpeggiator to boot. The Sub can be used to control other MIDI devices either through a computer or directly, depending on the device. The Sub has a much better and bigger keyboard than the Oxygen and it has aftertouch and velocity. It's a great keyboard (though some on this forum disagree) and makes a terrific master controller.

Hope that helps!

*EDIT* - one more comment: most of the posts about syncing the Sub to a DAW or hardware sequencer have been due to pilot error. The Sub has no problems syncing that I am aware of.

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:50 am

I have used the Sub37 as a MIDI controller with Maschine. Works fine - works like any other MIDI controller keyboard basically.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

braddo

Post by braddo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:40 am

Thanks folks. Since posting I discovered what you mentioned, that the Machine only works with a computer, especially the sampling function which was the primary attraction of the Machine unit.

I mentioned but didn't make it clear I have a nice Roland board with lots of other sounds including drum kits to use in the I terim. While waiting to figure out what to do for sampler I can use it for polyphonic sounds and can trigger from the Sub it sounds like. Of course I could also use the Roland itself.

I got the Sub last night and it's very beautiful. Was reading the manual to understand how I might use the Subs sequencer for external stuff. I guess I knew you could use it to drive one external track but did suspect only one versus multiple tracks as one might typically do with a sequencer.

The last question for this thread is about that sampling. Would love a new generation "old school" sampler that could just record and play a bunch of samples but seems that type of unit is out of vogue. Worst case maybe an iPad/android type thing for minimalist setup.

Thanks again!

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:07 pm

My Maschine requires a computer. Doesn't yours?

Rbwduece

Post by Rbwduece » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:48 pm

As far as a sampler and sequencer in standalone, I love the Maschine. However, I haven't been too impressed with it's ability to send MIDI to my Sub 37 or my Slims. It seems to cause stuck notes quite frequently and, occasionally, I'm not able to clear them using the panic shortcut and am forced to restart the Maschine software as well as my audio interface. It does the same thing on my Microkorg, as well, so I know it isn't a Moog issue. After doing some research, I found this to be a common issue with Maschine. Don't get me wrong, I love my Maschine, but it lacks in the "MIDI send" department. If you're playing live, go with the Beatstep.