alternate tunings for sub phatty? arpeggiator?

Everything Sub.
newpollution

alternate tunings for sub phatty? arpeggiator?

Post by newpollution » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to decide between a sub phatty and a little phatty. I like what I've heard of both, but am leaning toward the sub phatty, mostly due to price, and also because I'd like to buy a new synth rather than a used one.

I'm wondering though, are alternate (non-Western) tunings and custom tunings possible on the sub phatty? I've heard them mentioned for the little phatty but am finding conflicting and unclear info about the sub. Anyone know?

The other thing I'm wondering about is arpeggiating... I know the little phatty has a built in arpeggiator, and the sub phatty doesn't. Has anyone found any good workarounds for this? I'm open to using apps and software but haven't found anything very promising yet.

Thanks in advance!

medwaystudios

Re: alternate tunings for sub phatty? arpeggiator?

Post by medwaystudios » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:36 am

You'd need to give a little more info on how you are planning to use these synths, like what DAW etc...

Most DAWS will allow both arpeggiation and alternate tunings via either their own built in plugins or 3rd party ones.
Windows 7 x64 / Sub Phatty

breun

Post by breun » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:03 pm

There is a download called 'Phatty Tuner - Alternate Scales Editor' on the download tab of the Moog Sub Phatty product page: http://www.moogmusic.com/products/phatt ... nloads-tab

This is the description:
For decades, Moog instruments have been used by adventurous musicians to map the sonic universe. Now they can be used to explore the more exotic reaches of our own planet. With Moog's Phatty Tuner software, musicians can retune each note of the octave and compose in scales once available only to players of hard-to-find world instruments. Indian, Chinese and Turkish scales are now easily accessible along with Meantone, Pythagorean, Just and other historic and experimental temperaments.
The download includes zip files for Windows and Mac and a PDF for each. Actually it looks like this is the same scale editor as the one for the Slim/Little Phatty.
Last edited by breun on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

newpollution

Post by newpollution » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info!

Has anyone tried that alternate tunings download for the sub phatty?

And to provide a little more info... I'm planning on using the synth mostly with Ableton Live, and possibly with Pro Tools a bit. Do you mean I'd be able to arpeggiate the sub phatty using Ableton?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Yes, Live has several arpeggiators available. I've used the alternate tunings app a lot with the SubP - it's great!

newpollution

Post by newpollution » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Glad to hear I could use Ableton's arpeggiator. I've used it before, but just with software synths within Live.

Sorry if this is obvious, but how could I go about arpeggiating the sub phatty in Ableton? Could I do it just with the sub phatty connected via a USB cable?

Thanks in advance for any tips on getting this up and running.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:09 pm

There's going to be latency if you use the SubP's keyboard. One way to do it is with another keyboard hooked to the arpeggiator and the MIDI it produces sent to the SubP.

newpollution

Post by newpollution » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks for the ideas! Will try that out soon.

dettenbach

Post by dettenbach » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:27 am

Just to add: It seems the PhattyTuner just accepts scales over 12 tones, but the collection helds scales of different lengths. If required (and you know what you do) you can adapt incompatible files by cutting them within a txt editor.

Secondly some of the files seems unable to load into the phatty tuner because of "problematic" UTF-8 encodings in the comment / title section of the file - this could be used by deleting non ASCI characters from that lines (or - if you don't know what charsets are - overwrite the text with something new and simple in "plain english").

hope that helps someone.

btw: It would be nice if future firmware versions and phatty tuner could handle other sizes as well (if the hardware allows that) - but this is just a nice to have (having "free" tunings is nicely crazy so far too ß).

many thanks.
cheers,

Niels.
((d^b))
dettenbach music fab
http://dettenbach.de

hard: MacBookPro 12.1 (late 2015)
soft: / OS 10.11.3 / Pro Tools 12.5 / Studio One 3.2