Sub Phatty OSC volume level & saturation question

Everything Sub.
medwaystudios

Sub Phatty OSC volume level & saturation question

Post by medwaystudios » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:33 pm

I've recently been experimenting with quite low volumes on the OSCs as up until now there was just always something about my Sub Phatty that slightly put me off.

I did find that with a three OSC setup that setting the volumes to as low as 2 seemed to really open up the sound and make it warmer, more alive. Finally it was sounding similar to my old Model-D.

Now I know the manual recommends setting the volumes at 6 or lower to avoid saturation but what about when multiple OSCs are running at once? Does each have its own saturation point or is this happening on the sum of them (I assume it is).

In other words if you've got more than one OSC going then the levels need to be actually below 6, more like 3-4 etc... to compensate?

The one drawback to having the low levels I've got now is that there is a fair amount of VCA noise present due to the OSCs not covering it up. Ideally I'd have them as loud as possible without saturating to get a better SNR. Just don't want to lose the open sound so looking for any technical knowledge on exactly how that stage works (have already run some signals through freq analyzers to see how the harmonics interplay based of saturation but it's more difficult to do when you've got multiple OSCs running).

Thanks.
Windows 7 x64 / Sub Phatty