Beatstep pro + Sub 37

Everything Sub.
captainkidd

Re: Beatstep pro + Sub 37

Post by captainkidd » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Sorry coming in a little late to the party. I am also pretty new to Synths but have a big case of GAS with first getting a SUB 37, then Werkstatt, Mother-32 on great sale and Minitaur on same sale. I just picked up a Beatstep Pro and have been pursuing the Interwebs about this high voltage issue with it on the CV’s. From reading this thread most recommendation is to use MIDI instead of CV but there still might some case in which CV might be preferable. Especially when it comes to the Werkstatt. But I’ve also read in a couple places that the Werkstatt may or may not be affected by over voltage with the CV but I haven’t seen anything official either way on that one. In fact one person said that when he did attenuate it for the Werkstatt that he couldn’t get it to trigger.

So I’ve also have tried to see if there is a good suggestion on Attenuating the CV output and the answers have been all over the board. A simple DIY would be great but I’m not opposed to a fairly uncomplicated commercial solution. I saw the kind of work around mentioned in this thread but it seems like it’s not exactly full proof either.

This kind of leads me to a tangent in that I have a couple old Tama Techstar drum modules that I’ve had stuffed away for about 30 years. I recently pulled them out and have hooked them up to my little Synthrotek 8 step sequencer using the gate inputs on the modules. That worked fine but I thought it would be nice to be able to trigger a them with a little more melodic sequence rather that trigger one, then the next, then the next in a regular 8 step sequence. Hence I looked into the Beatstep Pro which seems like it will fit the bill.

Ok so with that though I also found out that the gate voltage is either 10v or 12v, I’ve seen it stated either way. Now I don’t know if that much voltage, especially in a gate would case any issues in the long run (at least as far as the Techstar is concerned) but I think the 8 step only put’s out 5v gate and it was triggering fine with that. So what about attenuating the gate outputs of the Beatstep Pro, would that be pretty easy to do? Plus how do you actually measure a gate output? Wouldn’t it be hard to capture?

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:52 pm

Just use the koma electronic attentuator cables.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:50 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:Just use the koma electronic attentuator cables.
I thought about that, and it is a pretty simple solution but it will be $65.00+ for the minimum of (8) that I need if I want to use them on a gate and $90.00+ if I want to use
them the gates and CV's. And although that isn't going to break the bank I would think there would be some DIY that I could do cheaper or buy. Just my thoughts.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Sure. Spend an evening with your soldering iron and you can make whatever you want. I love DIY synth stuff.

Get an aluminum project box from and electronics store, and one 1/8, 1/4, and a potentiometer for each of the outputs on the beatstep pro. So with 3 each on the 2 sequencer lanes, and ten gates on the drums, that's 16 sets. Plus knobs. Moog style knobs go for around 1-2$ each. So for a project box, wire, 16 of 1/8, and 1/4 jacks, plus potentiometers. And you need 16 1/8 to 1/8 cables to connect the BSP to this attenuator box, then 18 1/4 to 1/4 cables to connect the other side to your gear.... You'll spend approximately $150. Plus 4-6 hours drilling and soldering and testing.

So yes, you can DIY something, if you have experience and time, or the desire to learn. One advantage of doing it this way, even though it's more expensive, is the input and output cables can be easily replaced locally if you get a short, rather than ordering replacement cables from Germany. And you can build in some useful things like a few sets of mults into the box, assuming you have space.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:54 pm

jsharpphoto I understand where you’re coming from and you have perfectly valid points. I am just looking at possible alternatives, partly in that I do like the simplicity of the attenuator cables but also to me (and I am speaking about me) it seems a little like you don’t have exact control on how much attenuating you are doing with the slider. I mean maybe there is an easy way to measure it (again I am not sure how you would measure gate output) and be able to just set them in one spot where it would keep you from going over the maximum voltage one is looking for. I am just thinking building your own device that you can calibrate and set might be a little more accurate.

I know I might be talking out of the rear end on some of this because I fully admit I am just learning about CV’s and Gates and all this. But as far as spending time on building something it isn’t a big deal. Lately I’ve been spending many hours soldering together Eurorack modules from kits which although you are following a set recipe and basically putting together all the components on PCB’s there is a bit of skill involved in doing so. I am not necessarily looking for a Eurorack sized solution so having an extra enclose somewhere else isn’t out of the question. And the idea of mults in the box might be pretty beneficial.

I did just come across a diagram for basically what you said inputs, Potentiometers and outputs on the MFOS website where it shows using 100k potentiometers. They also have a diagram just for a device called a 12V to 5V gate reducer which also looks like it might be the ticket for at least the drum gate aspect. I know there is more than one way to skin a cat but I am just searching for data and ideas of what I might be able to do or purchase to get to where I am going. Again I am still trying to find out if there is a threshold on the gate input of the Techstars. I’ve posted some questions and sent emails to
some people who’ve dealt with the Techstars but haven’t received any response back yet.

As popular as the Beatstep is I would think there would be some other solutions delineated for at least the CV voltages to use on Moogs but even on the Arturia forums I haven’t seen anything nailed down.

Thank you

pb21

Re: Beatstep pro + Sub 37 or korg sq1

Post by pb21 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:23 am

Can the Beat step pro be used with the sub 37 with CV?

I am guessing it cannot unless I buy an attenuator cable?

I do have an SQ1 but same question applies.

I clearly am no expert on cv control but would like to dabble

i dont want to spend 250 euros and find it the BSP cannot be used, I would rather use that 250 towards an elektron A4

jsharpphoto

Re: Beatstep pro + Sub 37 or korg sq1

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:56 am

pb21 wrote:Can the Beat step pro be used with the sub 37 with CV?

I am guessing it cannot unless I buy an attenuator cable?

I do have an SQ1 but same question applies.

I clearly am no expert on cv control but would like to dabble

i dont want to spend 250 euros and find it the BSP cannot be used, I would rather use that 250 towards an elektron A4
The SQ-1 can be used with any modern Moog via CV without special hardware, since the output range of the SQ-1 can be limited to either 2v or 5v, or 8v (Eurorack)
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

ebowen4221

Post by ebowen4221 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:44 pm

I will be building a box using a zener diode regulator, so 0 to +5 Volts will pass, but anything beyond +5 won't. This will allow octaves to stay the same and not fry the S37. I will report back with my findings in the next few weeks.

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:02 pm

ebowen4221 wrote:I will be building a box using a zener diode regulator, so 0 to +5 Volts will pass, but anything beyond +5 won't. This will allow octaves to stay the same and not fry the S37. I will report back with my findings in the next few weeks.
That would be cool, I did pick up a couple Pots and sockets to mess around with building a little box. I also did get (3) attenuating cables too since there is a place in town, Control Voltage, that sells them. I figured either way I can see what works best. I will be interested to see how your idea works out too.

ebowen4221

Post by ebowen4221 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:19 pm

captainkidd wrote:
ebowen4221 wrote:I will be building a box using a zener diode regulator, so 0 to +5 Volts will pass, but anything beyond +5 won't. This will allow octaves to stay the same and not fry the S37. I will report back with my findings in the next few weeks.
That would be cool, I did pick up a couple Pots and sockets to mess around with building a little box. I also did get (3) attenuating cables too since there is a place in town, Control Voltage, that sells them. I figured either way I can see what works best. I will be interested to see how your idea works out too.

So I scrapped this before it even started. I've decided to just sell some extra gear and go with a modular setup to run sequences off of the BSP, and use the Sub37 for solo lines over the top.

My buddy who is a post doctoral electrical engineer tells me that a zener diode regulator would work exactly how I described above. So even though me building a box for it and trying it out, it would work.

hmikelson

Post by hmikelson » Sun May 15, 2016 9:55 pm

I designed a board for the Werkstatt that uses trimmers for VCA, VCF, and LFO and a zener on the VCO Exp. This plugs into the header with Molex pins. Another board for interfacing to my Little Phatty and the Beatstep pro with trimmers on the volume and gate controls and a zener on the pitch just to be safe. 3.5 jacks for the connections since 3.5 to 1/4" adapters are easy to find.
Hans Mikelson