Beatstep pro + Sub 37

Everything Sub.
mesa

Re: Beatstep pro + Sub 37

Post by mesa » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:48 pm

I see :)

you can set it to C-2 but you cant set it to stop at C3 so if I was to go over that with the seq then it would mess with the firmware again on the moog right?

I just haven't got it in me again to try it out as it took me 4 days to fix the slim last time, it would be faster to fix now as I know what I need to do but maybe it could cause a bigger problem this time.

When you say start from c-2 the seq needs to pitch up and also pitch down so it sort of needs to be set (if I am not getting this totally wrong) for the start point to be at 2.5 volts
Moog Slim phatty, Moog Sub 37, Moog Minataur, Dave Smith Tetra, Win10 64bit, Ableton Live 9.6, Ableton Push, Focusrite Scarlet 6I6, Arturia Beatstep Pro.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:28 pm

If you want to go up and down then that is fine, if you set the Beatstep to start at C-2 still but start your sequence, say, at C-1 you can go up and down as long as you limit your upper notes at C3 you will not exceed 5 volts into the Moog.

So as long as you keep your notes within :-
C-2 = 0 volts
C-1 = 1 volts
C0 = 2 volts
C1 = 3 volts
C2 = 4 volts
C3 = 5 volts

you will be okay

Don't forget that the C-2 to C3 range will be offset by the starting Octave/Footage of the Moog and not the absolute note value

If you want to write a sequence that spans more than 5 octaves then I don't think you can use a Moog

I'll play with my Beatstep Pro later and see what I get

R.

mesa

Post by mesa » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:06 pm

Let me know how you get on later

Thing I will get lost with is when I come to use the scales I will be lost what keys I can go upto :)
Moog Slim phatty, Moog Sub 37, Moog Minataur, Dave Smith Tetra, Win10 64bit, Ableton Live 9.6, Ableton Push, Focusrite Scarlet 6I6, Arturia Beatstep Pro.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:12 pm

If you want to write a sequence that spans more than 5 octaves then I don't think you can use a Moog
I just want to point out that while this might be true if you are using CVs you certainly can do many more octaves using MIDI. Just in case someone comes in during the middle of this conversation :)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:12 pm

And... It's important to understand that the BeatStep Pro (which I like a lot) is delineated by half steps regardless of whether you're using CV or MIDI. If you want sequences to use notes from the 12-Note Western Tuning scale (and your synth receives MIDI), it's just better to go with MIDI and save yourself the headaches of calibration, scaling, etc.

But, if you're the type of synthesist who likes analog sequencers specifically because they can be set to ANY value (within their range) for every sequence step, then the BeatStep Pro isn't for you. For etherial sequences that don't necessarily use only "piano" notes, you'll want a true analog sequencer like:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SequencerCBM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DarkTimeRD

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SequencerPM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8StepProg

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SQ1
(In Linear mode)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:50 pm

ha ha .. I nearly posted something along the lines of ..."Dan will be along in a minute to make sense..." :D

I set up my Beatstep Pro using the sequence editor in Midi Control Centre and can set all 16 notes to C-2 and, sure enough the CV output sits down and 0 volts but as soon as I rotate a control knob that note leaps to C0 and will not go lower and that step then produces 2 volts.

I haven't found a way yet to make the knobs start down at C-2

R.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-10-27 20.50.46.png

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:36 pm

Have any of you BSP users noticed a horrible midi latency when routing through ableton? If I go midi out of the BSP to a hardware synth, it clocks fine. If I go midi in to ableton, and then out to hardware synths... There is a half beat delay. Not latency in the hardware, but a half beat of midi data. Regardless of tempo. It's strange, and frustrating. I have to bypass ableton from a midi standpoint, which is a shame.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:04 pm

I haven't tried that configuration... I have Ableton so I will give it a go in a day or two

R.

shaygan

Post by shaygan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Ha well I guess my link was deleted by moderation, just google KOMA ATTENUATOR CABLE and you'll find the gear I was pointed to. It's just a suggestion from them. It looks like the good answer to that problem what do you think? Just be aware that it's a 3,5 input / output so you'd need also an adapter to 6.35 for the output to plug into the sub 37 (annd something else added to the list.. midi might not be that bad after all..;))

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:45 pm

I prefer mine hooked up via midi. But I actually run a combination. It sends midi and CV concurrently. I have my synths and drum machine hooked up via midi, and they get all of the pitch, gate and velocity info they need...

Then I take the velocity CV outputs of each sequence and use them to control/modulate other things. Using the custom CV mapping on the newer moogs, you can create some pretty dynamic stuff. If you have the filter modulating by velocity (over midi) then have the CV velocity pattern routed to something like "beat frequency" or "VCA Release", you can get an extra CV step sequencer out of the modulation.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

sjurick

Post by sjurick » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi. I can't really seem to find any information on my question but after reading some posts in this particular thread, seems there might be some folks that can help me out.

I have a Sub 37 and a Beatstep Pro. I want to control my S37 with my BSP and use the BSP as the clock source (i.e. turn the temp knob on my BSP and the arpeggiation on the S37 acts accordingly). Currently I cannot get this to work, the S37's ARP tempo seems to still work independently of the BSP.

I have the BSP's MIDI DIN out connected to the S37 MIDI IN. I get sounds, just tempo is not controllable with BSP.

I've played around with various settings on S37's panel GLOBAL, MIDI, etc. but nothing is making a difference.

Any suggestions?

mikeh11

Post by mikeh11 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Maybe try turning on the ARP "Sync".
According to the manual, that tells the ARP to listen to MIDI clock messages.
Good luck!
(wish I had a BSP!)
MBP 2012 | OS X 10.11.6 | Sub 37 #6768

sjurick

Post by sjurick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:22 am

That seems to be it, turning on Arp Sync. I was expecting the ARP LED on the S37 to move in time with the BSP, but it doesn't. The LFO LEDs on the S37 do however change when I change tempo on the BSP. So something is happening.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Jurick

OSX 10.11.3
Studio One 3.2 64bit
Logic Pro X 64bit
Steinberg UR-22
Allen & Heath Zedi 10FX
Moog Minitaur
Moog Sub 37
Access Virus TI2 61 keyboard
Yamaha Motif ES-8
Arturia Beatstep Pro

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:00 am

That's correct. Solid "arp sync" button means it's midi sync'd. The sync buttons on the LFO flash in time.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

braddo

Post by braddo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Just booked up the Sub37 to an external midi clock for the first time this weekend and I deed, pushing the sync button makes it sync. What's interesting is that the arp speed knob still works, if you set it to somewhere near the bpm it will sound at the tempo but if you turn it up it will do dotted and double and triplet style pulses. It's cool!