Do I need a Sub37??

Everything Sub.
J-P-G

Do I need a Sub37??

Post by J-P-G » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:55 pm

First a big Hi to all of you, my Name is Jan from Germany and (don´t Panic) I´m normally a six string man....
(duck and cover) :)

Recently I got into the music style of the Black Keys. So I think they use a sort of analog Synthesizer and here is where the story starts.
To be honest, I only find some Sound examples of the Sub37 in the direction of "modern" electronic Music but nothing in the direction I wane use it.
So I come to the conclusion to ask the Pro´s on this one.

My plan: buy a Moog Sub 37 (awful cool analog Machine), than misuse it for some cool sounds like the Black Keys (eg. el camino "gold on the ceiling" or "lonely Boy") + use it with a DAW (Cubase 8) to record the Synth parts and Play for example the drums for recording on the Sub via midi.
Next plan is to use it in Connection with a Fender Princeton…

So big question is??? Is the Sub 37 the machine for me or is it the wrong direction??
It´s not the cheapest investment, so I need a bit feedback if possible :)

Greetings

Jan

(sorry for the english typing, I´m a littlebit rusty)

seanpark

Re: Do I need a Sub37??

Post by seanpark » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:18 am

Do you have a synthesizer now? Or will the Sub 37 be your first?

Sub 37 is an excellent choice but it is "advanced" or "complicated". It also works as a simple, uncomplicated bass synth.

You might choose a simpler (and cheaper!) monosynth to begin with. Or use software synths with your DAW.

pb21

Post by pb21 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:29 am

You could always buy it use it, learn more about it. look after it and find its worth a fortune in the future.

I am no synth expert but I grabbed one almost by accident due to another customer cancellation and never regretted it since it sounds beautiful and has a very wide sonic palette but like anything it needs time with you to embed it in your work flow.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:08 am

If you think you might have an interest in delving deeper into synthesis then I think the sub 37 is a great choice.

It comes with lots of presets and has a huge array of parameter/modulation options to give both classic and modern mono-synth sounds - plus it has a velocity/aftertouch sensitive keyboard, and multiple expression pedal input options, for more expressive playing.

With so many options it's something you can grow in to - not out of.

Most importantly, it sounds great - both dry and with effects.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

Toine

Post by Toine » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:56 am

Be aware that the sub 37 is monophonic/paraphonic so if you want to play synthparts with chords than the Sub37 may not be a good decision for you...

J-P-G

Post by J-P-G » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:10 am

Hi, thank you for the reply
First thinks first, it’s my first Synth. So I’ve got no experience....
I had a Midikeyboard once... to play the drums in the DAW but for me it’s not a solution.
That thing sucks (cheep plastic)
So what’s the task on hand:
- Play via Midi the VST Drums in Cubase
- Play some Synth parts like Black Keys ( El Camino Album)
- Play via Amp and Most important... stay as much as possible analog!!

I’ve got some cool analog guitar effects especially from Moog so I was looking for a analog
Synth from Moog.
As mentioned before... Can I get the sound I need??
It's a basic rule: buy cheep ... buy twice. So it's only the task at Hand which has to be fulfilled, pricing is not the main object.
Next thing is to learn more about playing Synth and therefore I don’t want a Synth which I have to change in a few Years ;-)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:10 am

I would absolutely recommend the sub37 for this. I'm not sure what synth the black keys used, as I'm not really a fan, but I would extremely shocked if you couldn't replicate those sounds with the sub37. If you're familiar with the band The Rentals, they used a pair of sub37's on their last tour, and their synth sound is built around classic moog bass and leads. They actually used a sub37 to replace a vintage moog source that died a few days before the tour.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:47 am

J-P-G wrote:Next plan is to use it in Connection with a Fender Princeton…
:shock:

Please don't blow-out your Princeton! A silver-faced Princeton was my first real guitar amp, and I know from experience you do not want to run keys through this small box.

Rhodes + Princeton vs. Drummer = Unhappy Princeton :(

Edit to add: I really like the Way Huge Swollen Pickle as a 'dirt box' for synths, and maybe using something like that to severely limit the signal might work well into the PR. YMMV, right?

J-P-G

Post by J-P-G » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:18 pm

OMG
Princeton Killer :shock:

Just kidding, the Princetone combo is for Recording only ;-)
Presently I've got no Dummer, Thats the reason why I plan
to missuse the Sub also for Midi Drum Recording in the DAW

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 pm

I think you will find the Sub37 very versatile. But as been stated in a previous reply remember you can't play chords. Think of it as a mono synth. I use mine for more textual stuff it's not quite modular But I find it is better suited for experimental music than the Little Phatty.

I've been using mine lately with my small 5U modular system with a midi to cv module and a couple Werkstatts,. Down the road you can add a Mother 32 (or three) and you have a great 3+ osc synth with tons of room to grow.

So if you don't need to play chords buy it. :D

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:29 pm

I honestly thought it was a raspy old organ, maybe through a fuzz or low distortion pedal.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:13 pm

JPG, welcome to the forum :)
You're in a Moog enthusiastic place, so most of us here are akin to tell you Moog synths are great. However, I am not as affirmative as the others posters here. Let me explain.

First of all, as Berlotti says, that most likely is an organ that you can hear in the two Black Keys' examples you gave. I'd say a Farfisa or similar. If you're after that very sound character, then maybe an organ or organ emulation is your best bet: you can get cheap vintage ones nowadays, or some modern keyboards will do the job -I've been using a Nord Electro 3 or 4 over the last years.

Secondly, that kind of organ (look for "combo organ" or "transistor organ" on the internet) are polyphonic: you can play chords. A Sub 37 (or Sub Phatty, Little Phatty, Voyager and almost evey Moog) won't allow that. They are monophonic: one note at a time. The Sub37, as said before, has the ability of playing two though. But it's kind of a trick.
That being said, there is a member here who had his band thinking his Moog Voyager Old School was an organ :)

And last but not least, synths are synths. I mean: you may get into synthesis easily and get pleasure quick, but you may also be overwhelmed by possibilities, numerous new concepts etc that the Sub 37 -for example- offers. However the Sub 37 has a cool one-knob-one-function interface: this is great for learning.
Don't get me wrong: all I wish is you get deep into it and enjoy turning knobs :)

If I was in you shoes, if you do want a Moog, then get the Sub37. For a bit less, get a SubPhatty or a used Little Phatty: they are very enjoyable too. Otherwise, I may be interested in some "educative" synths as the Arturia Minibrute or maybe the Korg MS20 (mini or kit). They happen to be cheaper, but I'm not sure they allow to send MIDI to a DAW for controlling drumset plug-ins.

I hope that helps :)

bob_on_keys

Post by bob_on_keys » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:18 pm

correct - it's a Farfisa

J-P-G

Post by J-P-G » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:40 pm

bob_on_keys wrote:correct - it's a Farfisa
Thank you, sounds resonable. I thought I've saw a artikle about them which stated that they use an Analog Synth.... but that must not be the whole truth.
So is it possible to get the sound out of an Sub 37??
The one key (or as mentioned bevore) two key limitation is ok for me because it's for filling my sound, not playing chords, just smal melodies for intro or ferse.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:47 am

bob_on_keys wrote:correct - it's a Farfisa
Thanks for the confirmation, welcome to the forum :)
J-P-G wrote:Thank you, sounds resonable. I thought I've saw a artikle about them which stated that they use an Analog Synth.... but that must not be the whole truth.
So is it possible to get the sound out of an Sub 37??
The one key (or as mentioned bevore) two key limitation is ok for me because it's for filling my sound, not playing chords, just small melodies for intro or ferse.
Honestly thought, I would not choose a Sub37 for this usage.

The short answer would have been this: you can approach that kind of sound with many analogue 2-oscillators synths and if you need one voice only, that’s ok. As said before, a member here did so, but he had that Moog Voyager for other duties beforehand.

My answer is that if you only want to play “some little melodies to fill a bit your sound”, better get a cheaper and/or simpler instrument. This is not the cheapest investment, you said. I would go for a used combo organ or a Minibrute as I suggested you already. You would get it for 5-6 times less money.

By the way, they may be using an analogue synth in other songs, but this very one seems to be just an analogue organ :)