Sub37 - Resonance knob failure

Everything Sub.
jkspost

Sub37 - Resonance knob failure

Post by jkspost » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi,

The Resonance knob/pot seems to have gone bad on my Sub37 - I Bought my Sub in February and got in April and it has worked just fine until yesterday. It has never left my home since I got it and is stil in mint condition.

The problem is - when I turn the filter resonance knob, the value randomly jumps between full and back when turning the knob around 10-12 o'clock. If I apply some pressure the knob while turning it, it sweeps fine most of the time - but this is clearly not a solution.
The knob is not loose or feeling any different than it used, but my unqualified guess is, it is a defect in the pot meter?

Anyway, as I'm in Denmark I'll probably have to sort this out with my local dealer, but I would like some advise here regarding wether I should get the filter PCB changed while I'm at it, as mine is of an earlier production? (My Sub37 is from March 2015, sn: 0467x)

Any advice on this?

Toine

Re: Sub37 - Resonance knob failure

Post by Toine » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 am

Yes, the advice is to contact Andy from Moog about this... [email protected]

Subber37

Post by Subber37 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:09 am

Volume pot on mine IS still playing up afterall. So it's def gonna need replacing at some point. Filter pot is still ok (touch wood) and haven't heard any res pot probs (yet).

Moog have been very helpful with another issue, VERY helpful so I can't fault their service so go easy on them - they'll sort you out.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:11 am

wow this is disappointing to hear. i havent had any other pots fail other than the filter cutoff which most others have had a problem with also, i suspect its only because this is the most-used pot so its failed first. but i have always been worried that the others will fail shortly afterwards, the order of pot failure from highest used downwards. The res would be next in line and then probably the volume for me also....i hope in 2 or 3 years we are all not going to be experiencing blanket pot failure all over the place...hmmm

jkspost

Post by jkspost » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply's :-)

Saturday morning I tried to pull off the plastic cap on the Res knob just to see if I could spot any hair or dust stuck underneath it.
Though, I was not succesfull in pulling off the cap as it is sitting really tight compared to the Cutoff cap that slides off easily, I gave up upon doing so .
However, after my failed attempt to pull off the cap, the problem has now gone! :D

I've played with it many hours over the weekend, tweaking the Res knob and all the others and I haven't had a single problem with anything so far.
And it is stil fine today. I cannot, for now atleast, reproduce the error.
Crossing my fingers. So far so good.

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:15 am

The advice I got from tech support was to wrap a piece of ribbon around the knob a couple of times then pull it away from the synth gently. Takes the knob cap off easily without stressing the board or pot. Apparently this is how they do it in the factory...

paramnesia

Post by paramnesia » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:32 am

Car Audio Dash Removal Plastic Pry Tool - 2 Piece

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Dash-Remova ... B0057DHMFG
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:48 am

Hello Everyone,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here!

For assistance with any issues like this please contact us directly for support:

Andy Hughes, Service Manager
[email protected]
828-251-0090 xt 221

Nate Marino
[email protected]
xt. 204

Taylor Mott
[email protected]
xt. 217

Thanks!
Andy Hughes
Moog Music, Inc.