Sub37 won't sync to MachineDrum or anything else

Everything Sub.
lushr

Sub37 won't sync to MachineDrum or anything else

Post by lushr » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:38 am

Hey guys I'm in need of help.

I've been working on this ages, initially trying to use midi din from Arturia Beat Step Pro to send external clock to sub37. And regardless of preset, I'm expecting the sub37 to sync.
This worked on and off. I decided the BSP is so buggy I have to take it out of the chain.

So I'm directly midi din from elektron MachineDrum to Sub37.
Machine drum is set to
base channel- all (though I've also tried option 1-4 with no luck)
Sync-temp out - on
Sync control out - off (because I don't want the sequencer keys sending notes to sub 37)

Am I missing another setting somewhere?

Sub 37 setting
The arpeggiation rate button has a sync button, I'm sure I read in the manual this had to be on to sync to external clock. But when it is on, it stops playing altogether.
There's nothing I can see in the global or midi menus that would affect anything,

I've got midi din and USBlistening
I've got the midi channel set to 1 not that that is relevant with clock...

I've gotten the microbrute working with
* the BSP,
* the Machine Drum
* and the Machine drum clocking through the BSP!

So it seems to be something I'm missing in the sub37. I'm going batty :oops: :twisted: :roll:
Last edited by lushr on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_DemonDan_

Re: Sub37 won't sync to MachineDrum or anything else

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:41 am

lushr wrote:Sub 37 setting
The arpeggiation rate button has a sync button, I'm sure I read in the manual this had to be on to sync to external clock. But when it is on, it stops playing altogether.
Have you used a MIDI monitoring app (MIDI Monitor/Mac, MidiOx/PC) on your computer to actually look to see what kind of messages are being sent to the Sub 37?

The fact that lighting the Sub 37's Arp SYNC button makes the Arp stop makes me think that MIDI Clock is not actually getting to the Sub 37 for some reason.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:15 pm

I have my Sub37 synced to an Analog Rytm. With SYNC on it will only play when a pattern runs on the Rytm by pressing start. When the Rytm is stopped no sound will play at all from the Sub37. A key also needs to be pressed on the Sub37 if the AR pattern is already running and SYNC is pressed. Not sure if this is your issue but seems to be how it is designed to work.

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:13 pm

I have a patch which is latched to sequencer.
So the minute you hit a keys (without holding), it starts playing.

The machinedrum always sends clock whether playing or not, but all my tests were with it playing.
The BSP only sends clock if it is playing.

I'll try investigating holding a key instead of latch? That would seem to be a bug if that's the difference.

@demondan do I plug the sub37 into the PC with USB to monitor this app?

I did think I was having some success with a preset written by Moog "the longest drive" or something similar, and the BSP, where the Lfo is controlling the rhythm of the sound, so I hit sync on the Lfo and the arp,

it seemed to sort of work, except that the arp knob which controls division of beats seemed weird it never seemed right, it kinda drove me bonkers. But it WAS responding to the BSPs clock for that patch (perhaps I was pressing down a key rather than relying on latch?)
Last edited by lushr on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:25 pm

:twisted: ok, I realised this morning, that when I tested with the BSP last night I was using the wrong midi cable,

So I tried again this morning and got it working.

But then I switched back to direct with machine drum and it worked too, even though it DEFINITELY wasn't working last night....

There's the possibility I had the midi cable plugged into Thru rather than out... Anything is possible, but I've done extremely thorough testing on video for Moog support and it hasn't worked. So now I'm.... Waiting for it to stop working again.

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:39 pm

glad to hear you are making progress. Couple of other things ... MIDI Out only worked on the Rytm ... not MIDI Thru. To send clock to more than one device I needed to buy a MIDI Thru extension device. And a final "gotcha" I forgot about ... since it was hard to see my MIDI connections on the Sub37 I was referring to the manual (1.0) as to which was input and output. After a lot of frustration I finally pulled the synth out so I could see the labels and the MIDI input / output were documented incorrectly (reversed) in the manual. Fun times haha. :lol:

lushr

Post by lushr » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:28 pm

Well it's good to know I'm not the only one that has trouble with basic midi connections!? I swear, over the three solid hours I spent on this issue over the past week or so I must have had something wrong 86% of the time despite having checked and re checked over and over.... Yeah thru would never have worked, but it's possible that on at least one test I was using that though I've never caught it happening. And I know I had the wrong midi cable plugged in while testing the BSP.

Anyway let's assume it's FIXED!

I really appreciate the help! I was going mad drowning in my little world...