Sub 37 rumors/new features wishlist

Everything Sub.
Puredrums

Re: Sub 37 rumors/new features wishlist

Post by Puredrums » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:20 pm

ObtuseMoose wrote:
lvdtsimulator wrote:option to turn off the arp and LFO blinking LEDs -- I've placed my Sub 37 off to the right of my main keyboard and those blinking lights are a bit distracting on the periphery.
Yes, yes, yes! I've put a piece of masking tape over the arp LED because it's so freaking bright. The LFO lights are less distracting to me because they're (usually) slower and/or not hard on/off, but that arp LED blinking at a 2 Hz rate is almost seizure inducing. A visual metronome is useful in some cases, but I'd love the ability to adjust the brightness of it.

--
Moose
Glad I'm not the only one! I have two issues with the arp LED:

1.) The relative brightness of that LED when lit, feels intense/disorienting compared to the rest of the more passive LEDs in the system.
2.) The 100% on/off cycling of the LED is quite hard on the eyes. The LED timing/quality of the LFO LEDs is much better in comparison.

If I'm working in a brightly lit room, LED stuff isn't nearly as noticeable but when I'm writing and recording I much prefer being in a "cave" or some other more mood lit space.
Windows 10 / Cubase 8.5 64 / Minitaur / Animoog / Model 15 / Filtatron

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:22 am

My somewhat pie in the sky wish is for another instance of the mod buses, or alternatively a few src/dest/offset/amount modulation routing slots. As it is, e.g. using a whole mod bus just to get mod wheel to filter cutoff seems a "waste" of that glorious module (unless we had a couple more of them). And hey, how about another instance of the envelopes too while we're at it... :P

Apart from that, here's the not so far out list:
  • Display for knob vs preset values, e.g.: showing a scale with a marker at the preset setting and a marker for the current knob position. When the knob has caught up with the preset value according to the Pot Mode, a symbol indicates that the knob value is now in effect. Numeric values with physical units would also be good (or an alternative to a scale). Edit: The Voyager has this...
  • Using the keyboard for naming presets (thanks to Bernard for the idea!). The upper F#, G# and A# could select upper/lower/numeric, the upper G and A could could be insert and delete and the upper B and C could move the cursor left and right. Edit: I just read the Voyager manual, and it has this feature(!)
  • LOOP button in the envelope sections flashing each time the corresponding envelope (re)starts. Particularly useful when editing looping envelopes.
  • LFO fade in and out times in the mod menus, with a switch to let legato playing not reset the fade.
Last edited by DrJustice on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

braddo

Post by braddo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Yeah, second the ability to sequence another instrument while playing the Sub 37

I would like to be able to put different voices in one sequence. Actually I thought this before buying and seems crazy not to be able to. I would use this to create a rhythm sequence, understanding that you can't have two voices.

Second a dimmer for the LEDs. In a dim room I can't see any of the knobs from the blinding LEDs without a separate light.

I would like the option to rout the external input straight to the out, I.e. a mini mix. Then I can play along with a drum track (recorded as above).

I don't understand why the headphone volume is slaved to the main volume but that may be a hardware thing.

Is there a midi start/all ability on this keyboard? Was hoping to use it as a master.

aroom

Post by aroom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:04 pm

arpeggiator on button = midi start

mckayallday

Post by mckayallday » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Currently, the Pitch CV input is mappable in the Global parameters page to most any mod destination including pitch up or pitch down, but this is for controlling the overall RANGE of the pitch wheel. My feature request is to have the Pitch CV input (or Volume CV input) mappable to mirror the actual Pitch Bend wheel/ data which would also be sent out of the MIDI output. I'd love to be able to use my Moog CV pedal to control the pitch bend on the Sub 37 AND have that pitch bend performance recorded in my DAW via MIDI :-)

That said, I realize this is analog voltage and have not tested if these other mod destinations send their data out via MIDI when modulated by the CV ins.

goodweather

Post by goodweather » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:35 pm

And another vote on parameter display!
When turning/pushing a button, show at the same time the value from the preset and the current value.
I have done this in my Ctrlr based Sub37 editor.
Would be much better than only showing *** around the preset name (no misunderstanding, the *** is also needed to see that the preset has been modified).

As we are busy dreaming, why not also the envelope curve when turning any of the DAHDSR knobs?

But as other said, this synth is very much achieved for a mono-timbral analog! Very good job done, Moog guy's!

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:21 pm

goodweather wrote:And another vote on parameter display!
When turning/pushing a button, show at the same time the value from the preset and the current value.
I have done this in my Ctrlr based Sub37 editor.
Would be much better than only showing *** around the preset name (no misunderstanding, the *** is also needed to see that the preset has been modified).

As my edits in my posting above shows, I've now read the Voyager manual, and it has the preset and knob value display(!)
But as other said, this synth is very much achieved for a mono-timbral analog! Very good job done, Moog guy's!
I agree - it's a wonderful instrument!

However, it could be made much more user friendly with a couple of trivial firmware features. I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't put parameter display and key board patch naming in - it would have been easy peasy, done in no time flat.

F5D

Post by F5D » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:28 am

I vote for the following features:

1) Show parameter values on the display, when editing and return to show patch name after 1-2 seconds (could be set in the menu).

2) Allow direct assignment of the mod wheel to any parameter(s), for example filter cutoff or noise level, without the need to use mod busses. The mod wheel assignment could also be a small matrix, up to 4 slots where you could define the destinations with their respective amounts with +/- polarity. Should not need much power to run, as these would be direct parameters, just like turning the knobs on the panel, but simultaneously with the mod wheel with specific amounts and polarity for each of the parameters. At the moment, I have the mod wheel mostly unused, as I use both LFOs with static modulation settings, and I do not want the mod wheel to interfere with them.

modularity

Post by modularity » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Parameter value display would be nice!
Either with digits or something like the simple two LED solution of the BassStation 2.
They illuminate when the value of a parameter no longer matches the value stored for the patch.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:21 pm

it could be made much more user friendly with a couple of trivial firmware features. I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't put parameter display
I'm not so sure it would be trivial. the beta software editor shows midi values rather than the value as per the panel - and I think this is the issue with doing it in hardware too. It's easy for them to display the midi values, because those are what is being worked with - but to have more useful values that match the panel display would mean every single parameter would need to have a correlation set up.
Allow direct assignment of the mod wheel to any parameter(s),
that would certainly be nice - as would having mod wheel value as a SEQ destination so that multiple parameters could be affected at once via that, as they would be if the mod wheel itself were moved during playing.

another thing I'd like in an ideal world is OSC pitch amounts as PGM mod destinations, rather than just the pitch knobs. That would allow both oscillators to be modulated by different amounts/polarities using a single mod bus rather than requiring both mod busses for that.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

goodweather

Post by goodweather » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:53 am

I'm not so sure it would be trivial. the beta software editor shows midi values rather than the value as per the panel - and I think this is the issue with doing it in hardware too. It's easy for them to display the midi values, because those are what is being worked with - but to have more useful values that match the panel display would mean every single parameter would need to have a correlation set up.
Well, i hope they will come with actual parameter display in the editor and not always 0-127 or 0-16383 numbers...
In my Ctrlr Sub37 editor, I implemented actual parameter display instead of stupid numbers. Much better and as you say, it is just a correlation matter. There are only a few rotary buttons I didn't find the exact formula because they are non-linear (I have however a pretty good approximlation but didn't implement it).
As I did everything without any doc, it has been a pain to search and find a lot of things and with the announcement of the Moog editor, I'm not so eager to continue working on it (I'm doing a Pro2 panel instead - DSI is providing all sysex doc).
Now, Moog guys should know and must have all documentation so, providing actual values should be a breeze... If not in this beta, maybe it will be in the official version...

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:53 pm

paul_sub37 wrote:...I'm not so sure it would be trivial. the beta software editor shows midi values rather than the value as per the panel - and I think this is the issue with doing it in hardware too. It's easy for them to display the midi values, because those are what is being worked with - but to have more useful values that match the panel display would mean every single parameter would need to have a correlation set up.
I'm wording it to make a point :) However, e.g. a parameter display should be possible to prototype within a few hours, with a day or three to make the required mappings for display as physical/logical values and add some polish (I'm speculating of course, but I've been a programmer all my working life...). The parameter display is so frequently requested, as well as "obviously missing", that I'd just do it.

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:04 pm

As Dr.J says (and as a programmer all my professional life) conversion of the MIDI maps to their actual values is no big deal providing you know what the values represent. I'm guessing the guys at Moog who designed the unit and understand how the firmware works know and understand those conversions. I was surprised when the values themselves didn't show up but rather the MIDI values did.

This being beta software we can't expect all the features to be present but I too am hoping these values are converted before the final software release. Being given a chance to use it before release is a great thing too and I thank Amos and the Moog folks for letting us have the chance. I'm very happy and impressed with what they've done so far!

Now chant with me folks; BPM.... BPM.... BPM :wink:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:15 pm

^ I was thinking about the display on the synth itself. It would be good to have it in both the editor and the synth, of course.

And I guess that would include displaying a BPM value :D
Last edited by DrJustice on Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:19 pm

DrJustice wrote:^ I was thinking about the display on the synth itself. It would be good to have it in both the editor an the synth
YES!
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart