Recording Pot Tweaking's MIDI data in DAW

Everything Sub.
Libertine Lush

Recording Pot Tweaking's MIDI data in DAW

Post by Libertine Lush » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:07 pm

I have a couple questions on recording the MIDI data from the manipulation of the various Sub 37 pots in a DAW (Logic in my case).

1) After some googling, I found I could use the Automation Mode button in the channel strip to achieve what I'd like with software synths. Is this the right approach for software and hardware synths? It seems like it may not be for hardware, as I've been told by someone that Logic Environment may be the right way, however, that's a particularly frightening area of the DAW for a beginner.
2) Using the same approach as above, I could not get the same result with a hardware synth (Moog Sub 37--it does transmit MIDI on its pots) I tried. Instead, what happens is that while the track region shows the pots being tweaked, when I open the Automation subtracks, it only shows Volume and Pan, when I had actually tweaked Filter Cutoff, Resonance and Multidrive, which is represented by the three "bumps" in the track region of the below screenshot. Is this simply a limitation of not being a software instrument or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for any help.