what are you doing with your Sub 37?

Everything Sub.
ziggomatic

what are you doing with your Sub 37?

Post by ziggomatic » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm curious to know how everyone use this great synth!

In my case i created around 50 patches to this day and i'm really into experimental stuff with it (hello modulation!). Surprisingly i haven't created a bass patch yet hehe

GregVDS

Re: what are you doing with your Sub 37?

Post by GregVDS » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:05 am

Hi,

At first, I went for patch creation, some being rather extreme and experimental, with a lot of modulation. Then I had my Sunday Experimental Recordings period, during which I made a few tracks dubbing myself. Fun to do, I'll come back to that everytime I have a good idea. Currently, I play arpeggiated chords with rather simple patches, through Strymon BigSky Stratus setting and MF-104M and loose myself in a kind of rather hypnotic trance-ambient. So relaxing late at night in my new house and small studio config where I can at last put the Sub37 at a proper playing height, just between the Yamaha monitors. I wash my head and ears with good sounds. I revisit my patches too, but it seems already my Sub37 is an old friend so much its knobs are easily found. Achieving what you want is easy, going further on unknown territories is just a next step, easily taken, and that's rather amazing.

Every time I try some full red other brand stuff, I don't understand a sh*t what to do, what I did and how I did it. Clutterred interface, too many apparent possibilities, I don't know. Moog Sub37 is amazingly well thought!

All the best,

Greg

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:44 am

First thing I did with the Sub37 was to dial up a classic Tangerine Dream ambient-type sound and 'arp out' for the evening. Second thing I did was to re-create Voyager sounds from the Worldline albums, and take the Sub37 to band practice where it was awesome and huge sounding. Like Greg above, I have just relocated to a new city, new house, new studio set-up, and no band. Currently the Sub37 is working as Master Controller Keyboard for the humble home studio, and it does a nice job in that role (fun to control the Slim Phatty from the Sub37 front panel).

But, I'm thinking about not joining a band up here, at least not as a keyboard player. Be nice to go back to my acoustic roots, walk to gigs and such. Also thinking about recording a mini-epic suite of synth instrumentals. In the late '80s I recorded something similar using only a Moog Rogue and a four-track cassette. Would be fun to do something like that again, this time using the Sub37, the Slim Phatty, and the digital 8-track.

Toine

Post by Toine » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:54 am

I tweak sounds and build sounds from scratch. The bass and lead parts in my home recordings are nowadays mostly Sub37 patches.
I also use the Sub37 in combination with an TC Electronic Flashback in one of my bands (Deep Purple covers) for some solo work. The sub37 is a perfect companion for my other gear (Hammond XK3 with Leslie 760, Nord Stage2, Yamaha Motif ES) :-)

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:10 pm

I use mine alongside my MS-20m (no keyboard). I have the korg 16 step sequencer running the ms-20, and play complimentary parts on the moog. I will run an extra out of the sequencer to the filter cutoff of the moog, so there is a rhythmic component to the moog that is always in time with the korg.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:16 pm

At the moment I'm learning the lead parts for Pink Floyds "Have a Cigar" and I have to say the S37 is really doing a great job of it, admittedly I wasn't a Floyd fan to begin with (a bit young and it wasn't what my parents listened to) but since being exposed to their work I get why the name has lasted... certainly I find it a lot more engaging than The Beetles for example..
I actually prefer the lead tone I'm getting out of the S37 to what they pulled from the Model D on the album.. with a bit of drive the resonance tail has a lot more character I think.

When I'm at home I run everything to a mixer with some Drawmer outboard, sync to Ableton and make progressive/psychedelic trance. mostly around 136-140bpm with offbeat 8ths lately.

I think it says a lot about how well featured the S37 is that it can manage something with quite specific, modern demands like psy-trance bass in the studio during the day and later that night go out to a pub and do vintage style Pink Floyd lead stuff.

The S37 is a great live instrument I think, the knob per function layout just begs for it... if I had a complaint, it would be that there is no MIDI-thru.
I think that'd be handy when you're trying to get units sync'd on stage without having to bring too much extra equipment.
But there are plenty of ways around it I guess, hardly a deal breaker.

breun

Post by breun » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:18 pm

psynthetic wrote:if I had a complaint, it would be that there is no MIDI-thru.
According to the manual you can use the MIDI output as a MIDI THRU. The MIDI MENU PARAMETERS section on page 36 of the Sub 37 1.1 manual says:
ECHO DIN IN (MIDI MENU 2.3)
This parameter takes incoming MIDI data from the 5-pin DIN MIDI Input jack and merges it with the data being sent from the Sub 37 to the selected MIDI OUT port(s). This allows the MIDI Output (5-pin DIN and/or USB) to also act as a MIDI THRU. The choices are OFF (default), DIN, USB, or BOTH.

ECHO USB IN (MIDI MENU 2.4)
This parameter takes incoming MIDI data from the USB PORT and merges it with the data being sent from the Sub 37 to the selected MIDI OUT port(s). This allows the MIDI Output (5-pin DIN and/or USB) to also act as a MIDI Merge. The choices are OFF (default), DIN, USB, or BOTH.

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Oh cool! Thanks for that.
No need to send parameter feedback to the DAW on stage, I just wanted it to pass on sync so this will actually give the best of both worlds.. Excellent. :D

aspi17

Post by aspi17 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:23 pm

I got my Sub 37 a week ago, and I've been spending most of my time with it playing with the sequencer. I usually record a 64 step sequence then spent hours overdubbing in REC mode.

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Well I am still learning how to coax more sounds out of it ... but I have to admit now that I have a Pro 2 beside it and a drum machine ... I really love just playing bass on it. That filter with a pedal .... pure awesome! :lol: Ok well you can't blame me for that ... I am a bass player :)