Saving Sub 37 Patches to a computer

Everything Sub.
wallace1977

Saving Sub 37 Patches to a computer

Post by wallace1977 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I got a Sub 37 in the spring and I love it. I use it mainly for music production. One thing that would be helpful for me is to be able to save every moog patch to my computer in a subfolder of the session I'm working on. That I'll be able to recall that patch later by opening it from the computer. I tried using Sys Ex (http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/) and I was able to save a patch to the computer, however, I wasn't able to send the preset back to the moog. Does anybody know of a good way to save presets to the computer? Furthermore, is there a good library management software that I can change titles and re-organize the presets in the moog from the computer? My one criticism of this piece of gear is that the UI is a little clunky.

Thanks so much!
Kevin

GregVDS

Re: Saving Sub 37 Patches to a computer

Post by GregVDS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:50 am

Soon, Moog should release an editor for Moog Sub37 presets with nice gui. I do hope this editor will let the user reorganise/rename/download/upload presets to her/his content. I think it won't be a vst/au plugin, nor a virtual Sub37.

I for my part achieved to put back preset syx files to the Sub37 current slot preset by simply reading the file in sysex librarian, with the Sub37 connected through USB directly quite obviously. reading the file emits it to the instrument connected, and the Sub37 recognises what it receives and use it. I think I remember I needed to save the preset on the slot where I was to have it written in the Sub37 memory. Dan, can you confirm this?

All the best,

Greg

wallace1977

Post by wallace1977 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:30 am

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give your method a try and see if I can get it to work. An editor would be great! Thanks for taking the time to write 8)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 am

Hi Kevin,

It's important to send the correct SysEx dump for a specific situation because that determines how the data will later be received by the Sub 37.

I'll paste the v1.1 Manual at the end for reference, but here's the short version:

{NOTE: These behaviors have changed for version 1.1. Be sure you're at least at v1.1.}

BUFFER SEND
Sends your current edit (not what's stored at that Preset #, but how it's currently tweaked).
{Unless you haven't tweaked it, then it's the same as what's saved in that location.}
The really useful part of sending a Preset as BUFFER SEND is that it comes back to the Sub 37's edit buffer. In other words:
You'll see and hear it, but it's not actually saved anywhere yet. Change Presets and (phwooo!) it's gone.

CURRENT PRESET
Sends your current *saved* Preset (no recent tweaks, if they're not saved). The double-edged sword of this method is that, when you send it back to the Sub 37, it will be saved to the Preset # you're currently on, even if you already have something there. Useful if you need to send the Preset to an exact location, and don't want to have to Save after you've done it... But dangerous if you get a file from someone else and have no idea that it's about to overwrite the Preset you're currently on..

So... as a rule, it is proper Sub 37 etiquette to always dump single Presets as BUFFER SEND if you're going to share the SysEx files with others (or if you don't want it to be saved to a specific location until you decide to do so).

_DemonDan_

SYSEX (MIDI MENU 3.5)
Highlight SYSEX >> and press the CURSOR button to enter the SYSEX sub menu.
NOTE: During a SysEx dump the MIDI button will blink red until the transmission is finished.

BUFFER SEND
This command will send a MIDI SysEx Dump of the edit buffer’s current settings (this is the preset or newly created sound as you have currently edited it, not the stored preset). To send the buffer’s settings, press the CURSOR button highlighting the SEND parameter, and then press either of the   buttons to start the MIDI dump.

NOTE: When you send this type of SysEx file into a Sub 37, the data will go into its edit buffer,
but not yet be stored into a Preset location. You will still have go through the SAVE procedure
as outlined on page 13, which allows you to choose where you want to save this newly loaded Preset.

SEQUENCE SEND
This command will send a MIDI SysEx Dump of the edit buffer’s current sequence data (this
is the sequence as you have currently edited it, not the stored sequence). To send the buffer’s sequence data, press the CURSOR button highlighting the SEND parameter, and then press either of the   buttons to start the MIDI dump.

NOTE: When you send this type of SyEex file into a Sub 37, the data will go into its edit buffer, but not yet be stored into a Preset location. You will still have go through the SAVE procedure as outlined on page 13. The advantage of this is that you can send Sequence dumps to any preset without overwriting the saved preset’s sequence. To permanently save the sequence, just save the preset.

CURRENT PRESET
This command will send a MIDI SysEx Dump of the currently selected Preset’s settings. To send the current Preset’s settings, press the CURSOR button highlighting the SEND parameter, and then press either of the buttons to send the MIDI data.

WARNING: When you send this type of SysEx file into any Sub 37 the Preset will automatically be stored to the current Preset location. Loading a SysEx file like this WILL overwrite the Preset in that particular location. Always back up your Presets before loading others’ SysEx files.

ALL PRESETS
This command will send a MIDI SysEx Dump containing the settings of all 256 of the Sub 37’s onboard Presets. To send all Presets, press the CURSOR button highlighting the SEND parameter, and then press either of the   buttons to send the MIDI data.

WARNING: When you send this type of SysEx file into any Sub 37 the Presets will automatically be stored to all of the locations they were at when the SysEx was originally dumped. Loading a SysEx file like this WILL overwrite any Presets at those particular locations. Always back up your Presets before loading others’ SysEx files.

BULK DUMP
This command will send a MIDI SysEx Dump containing the settings of everything in the Sub 37, including presets, MIDI, and global settings. To send all data, press the CURSOR button highlighting the SEND parameter, and then press either of the buttons to send the MIDI data.

NOTE: When you send this type of SysEx file into any Sub 37, all existing MIDI MENU and GLOBAL MENU settings will be overwritten by the settings contained in this SysEx file, and all Presets will be stored in the locations they were at when the SysEx was originally dumped. Always back up your Presets and system settings before loading others’ SysEx files.
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:21 pm

I actually logged on today to ask more or less the same. I had my Sub 37 back from repair last week, before I sent it off I sent all presets as a sys ex and all data as a sys ex to the computer. When I got it back I'm sure they've put a lot of presets back to factory presets. I connected the Sub 37 via USB and sys ex librarian picks up the Sub 37, I then picked the sysex I wanted to send back in and just click send?

The midi light does blink red while its sending which would suggest it's receiving something(?) but then when it finishes nothing really happens. Is there something I'm doing wrong?