Sub 37 Filter Cutoff: First Batch vs. Revised Batch

Everything Sub.
Gametime

Re: Sub 37 Filter Cutoff: First Batch vs. Revised Batch

Post by Gametime » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Great post subber ! I totaly agree i aspect moog to reply on this topic.

I still think ( and want ) moog need to give a lifime warranty for the filter knob.

But like subber said the first 5000xxx lost value so for me personaly i only accept a replacement of the board with the metal knob.

I will give it another 2 weeks before i send mine in.

Subber37

Post by Subber37 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. My ramblings usually get me nothing but attacks on other forums. :roll:

Anyway - small update to my 'volume pot' issue, it appears to have sorted itself out so I guess it just needed a little more use and have been testing it the last week (often changing volume pot position for various reasons) and it's cleared up, I guess they are self cleaning pots if sealed? and just needed a bit of good use. Just to stop any paranoia spreading.

On top of this the Sub 37 continues to make me smile, and I appreciate it more and more each time I use it. :mrgreen:

> Yeah, I hope Moog do step up on the filter knob issue and put owner's minds at rest.

I remember buying a SECOND HAND novation rack a few years back (nothing special) and one of the pots on it was bad (encoder), it was out of warranty by years, I wasn't the original owner even but I contacted novation about it and they sent me a brand new pot *for free* no q's asked!! and I just soldered it in :) So... I'm thinking Moog would do the same even OOW (at least with the current sealed pot - a whole board with new metal, maybe not so generous as to do that OOW but sure some of us would appreciate that). The only thing I worry about with having to fit a new pot every year or so (IF it was that bad) is the damage to the PCB with the constant soldering, could lift the pads.... so better to sort it with a proper fix in the long term I think

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:47 am

@subber37, Lexicon sent me their very last copy of the EPROM to convert a front panel version of their model 300 to the type that used a remote; gratis. Blue microphones sold me, at cost, several of their older mic mounts; they were out of production, but had extaordinarily small foot print. Find the right person, and magic happens :-)
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

Nyarlothep

Post by Nyarlothep » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:26 pm

First time Moog buyer here and I got turned on to the plastic / metal debate whilst trying to get information about my faulty pitch shift wheel on this forum. I had only had the unit SN 04324 for about 3 weeks when it stopped staying in tune. The wheel was faulty then it failed completely allowing the sub to play in tune; it has been replaced after two weeks out of commission. Now I was under the impression from years of watching keyboardists rave about Moog for being rock solid (bass player here), these things were supposed to be tanks; on my fist outing I stand corrected. Now with my track record I am pretty sure I'll have issues with the filter sooner or later; the question is how will Moog ease my mind? Hasn't my experience already tarnished their track record? I personally agree with the life time warranty for the plastic pots on early adopters units, in fact I think a default factory sanctioned replacement needs to be issued considering the reprinted board and its effects on the perceived value of these synths. To put it in perspective its like Fodera letting a run of basses out of the shop with warped necks due to a dry room malfunction then fixing the issue and saying "hey your neck hasn't warped yet!" to the fist batch owners. Correct me if I am wrong isn't the cutoff filter the heart and soul of this thing? This should be a matter of prestige for Moog. Also, as a side note the guy who told me about the filter pot debacle via this forum also had a faulty pitch wheel how do you like them apples?
Last edited by Nyarlothep on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

bujo

Post by bujo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:05 pm

The last day of my warranty is tomorrow... I noticed about the flimsy filter knob for quite a long time but I played it like this anyway. It never jumped like some reported though. But now that the warranty is about to expire I'm freakin... So I just wrote to Moog and asked them to change the board with a revised one. Let's see what's gonna happen :)

My SN is 46X so it is pretty in the first batches. I guess that worse issues would have happened soon or later?

Iliek

Post by Iliek » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:24 am

MoogProg wrote:
paramnesia wrote:the synth has digital control, no audio passes thru the filter pot
^ :? Hmmm, I thought that pot was different than the others because audio passes through the filter pot, and that it is an analog pot not a digital encoder. e.g. we can hear stair-stepping if we slowly move the Filter via MIDI CC, but not if we slowly sweep using the pot or a footpedal.

Anyone know the facts?
The cutoff filter as well as most other pots have a digital control resolution of 16,384. That's why you hear no stepping when sweeping the filter.

gian77

Post by gian77 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:36 am

Hi,

Got my Sub37 back yesterday (after 2 weeks 1/2) :D
My local store sent it to the french distributor (MESI) who made the repair.

Working now, but still have a plastic pot ... I would have imagined it was replaced by a metal one :roll:
Is there some people with a plactic pot replacement who had the same problem after ?

Hope it's for good ...
Sub 37 (FW 1.2.0 / 1.0.1), Minitaur (FW 2.2.2 / 3.3.0), MF-Drive & MF-Delay
Ableton Live 11 on macOS Big Sur v11.2.3

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:42 am

disappointing to hear this. It certainly should have been replaced with the metal knob. Did you request this to be the case specifically?

perhaps because it was not repaired by Moog in the USA but your local distributor is why this happened?

i sure would not accept this. But thats just me....You will just experience the same fault again sooner or later....

thomsk

Post by thomsk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:45 pm

Ok this might be what Iam looking for my filter cutoff has stopped works Ng has anyone any ideas please

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Hello ,i got Mine back After two weeks and they chance the cutoff Platine .now i have the metal cutoff poti.
I live in Germany ,and got IT from Music Store.

Phaedrum

Post by Phaedrum » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:56 pm

I am the original owner of an original Sub 37. After all these years the filter issue reared its head yesterday. I suspect there will be more to come from other longtime owners.