Sub 37 Gap in case

Everything Sub.
Blackout

Re: Sub 37 Gap in case

Post by Blackout » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:36 am

when was the last time someone was electrocuted by using a Sub 37 man? can you give me even one example? (just to put your comments in prospective seeing as you seem to think mine are over the top...)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:43 am

Blackout wrote:when was the last time someone was electrocuted by using a Sub 37 man?
Never, that I know of. Hence the hypothetical "if".
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:03 pm

wickett wrote:Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to know if I had a defective unit. I haven't noticed it since. Just having fun twiddling. I don't understand how the different modules interact but it sure sounds great whatever knobs I tweak.
Hi wickett. Good to know the sound has grown on you to the point you no longer notice the small gap. To better understand what each module does and how they interact, I recommend to apply the little technique I gave in this thread: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23227. It's a simple way to go from simple to complex, and from one module to the next, in the sound creation chain.

I go in more details around envelope modules here: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23552

I hope this will help you.

All the best,

Greg

richardm

Post by richardm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:24 pm

By the way, Moog is correct it can be adjusted out -- you don't need to take the side panel off just loosen the top center bolt slightly on the 'tight' side, and tighten the equivalent bolt on the other side and it will pull the panel to even out that gap -- then you definitely wont notice it. The panel simply slides side to side -- I imagine those with the gap n the left had their Sub assembled right side first, those on the right opposite!

And while we're at it, no need to worry about slight sponginess on the lcd display -- its by design, ad feature of how it push-clips into the board.

- Richard.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:00 pm

My Sub 37 has a very slight gap on the right-hand side. I can live with that and I love the synth.

However, Moog is a premium brand and we pay premium prices for this gear. I expect premium quality construction for that price.

Looking closely at my Sub 37, the woodwork on the end cheeks looks less than top-notch workmanship, and I suspect that's where the problem lies.

Without taking my Sub 37 apart, I suspect the end cheeks have machined rebates (grooves) to accommodate the panels and frame, and that these are not machined deep enough to fully close up the panel to the end cheeks.

If I compare the build of my Voyager Old School to the Sub 37 the differences are significant. The VOS is built fantastically well, the fit and finish is second to none - inside and out (yes, I've had it open). I've not opened the Sub 37 yet because a) I haven't needed to, and b) I dread what I might find :)

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:47 pm

I can also see a tiny gap. I probably wouldn't have noticed without this thread, or the screen light bleeding through.

It's the kind of thing I don't remotely care about. Maybe the long-rumored stage edition will lose the wood and gain a gapless side panel design. I'll take wood with a microscopic gap.

You can also tell the keyboard specs changed or were not perfectly accounted for. You can see the hinge holes from a seated angle. And the keys seem to stick out from the front of the chassis exactly the amount that would be needed to hide the holes.

So many things change along the design and prototyping and manufacturing process. It's still fantastic object, a wonderful synth, and a true Moog in every way.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Ted3000 wrote:I can also see a tiny gap. I probably wouldn't have noticed without this thread, or the screen light bleeding through.

It's the kind of thing I don't remotely care about. Maybe the long-rumored stage edition will lose the wood and gain a gapless side panel design. I'll take wood with a microscopic gap.

You can also tell the keyboard specs changed or were not perfectly accounted for. You can see the hinge holes from a seated angle. And the keys seem to stick out from the front of the chassis exactly the amount that would be needed to hide the holes.

So many things change along the design and prototyping and manufacturing process. It's still fantastic object, a wonderful synth, and a true Moog in every way.
Agree Ted. It's still an absolutely amazing little synth - gaps and all.