Sub 37 Gap in case

Everything Sub.
wickett

Sub 37 Gap in case

Post by wickett » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi, I have noticed a gap between the left side of the main panel and the wooden side piece.(See Attachment)
is this normal?
Attachments
moog.jpg

Ankaret

Re: Sub 37 Gap in case

Post by Ankaret » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 pm

I have something very similar, only mine is on the left side. To the point where some of the glow of the screen bleeds out of the gap.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:08 pm

That 'detail' has been noted several times already here, more often noticed on the left side, because of the mentioned backlit screen that leaks sometimes a bit of light.

This is due to the fact that the aluminium extruded back is cut maybe one millimeter longer than the front panel and other parts (bottom plate...). I must say I noticed it only because I read about it here. I think Moog distributes some kind of foam sticker to block light coming out for those too heavily blinded (gentle pun here).

I was quite ana* about that kind of details a long time ago, about Leica Cameras, about photo bags stitching, about Hi-End, about knifes edge. Slowly and tediously, my shrink helps me out of this kind of nitpicking stuff. My Sub37 has a wonderful sound, amazing abilities. Sometimes, I hit a chord in ARP on, dial a bit of slow filtering oscillation, and just listen to the sequence evolves on its own. Yestereve, I recorded a few tracks in dub, the first being bass line, and the trace in Live9 was gently wobbling, but in a non repetitive pattern that was quite intriguing, offering a kind of life to it, rather than an electronic combination of strict waves.

You got my point, my Sub37 is much more about its sound and possibilities these days than about its look, its perfection of built and other stuff like that. As long as it is solidly built, has no electronically/mechanical problems, I try to keep myself off these 'details' I know too well for having been their sad victim for a much too long time now.

Try to enjoy what you do, not what you own or buy. It's difficult, but it's the only way to be truly happy :-).

And don't forget Moog is a minute company (maybe 30 people?), and with such a small staff to do and produce what they do is amazing. Try to see these ''details' as some kind of touching manual (and loving) work signs, not intolerable defects.

My two cents, truly, I was not trying to preach anything, hope it helps you and answer to your question (and some, sorry, I like to write).

Greg

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:06 pm

I agree with Greg, from what I've heard/read this issue is quite common. Just forget about it, and enjoy your Sub 37.

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:11 pm

yep mine's the same on the left. it's a bit like the nice clothes my mrs buys from monsoon which all come with a tag saying that the material is hand made and not mass produced and as such may have some irregularities which should be considered as part of the charm of the garment.

Meneer Vincent

Post by Meneer Vincent » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:55 am

I don't agree at all.
I don't see these gaps as details nor has it anything to do cause it's a small company. There are many small company's (like Vermona or even Nord,for example) that make excellent robust stuff.
Whats wrong with a final check before a product leaves the factory. Moog products are fine and I love my SubPhatty but please be realistic in this.

pedrofloyd

Post by pedrofloyd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:08 am

Meneer Vincent wrote:I don't agree at all.
I don't see these gaps as details nor has it anything to do cause it's a small company. There are many small company's (like Vermona or even Nord,for example) that make excellent robust stuff.
Whats wrong with a final check before a product leaves the factory. Moog products are fine and I love my SubPhatty but please be realistic in this.
I complete agree with you.
Hi,
here are some infos:
notebooks: thoshiba and Dell both dual core
Audio interface: Echo firewire

OS (inc. 32/64 bit), DAWs, moog equipment and audio interfaces used in your setup.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:07 pm

its called "character"...which Moog synths have Bucketloads of...unlike other manufacturers stale, digital servings!

thats what i put the Sub37's keyboard "hinge holes" at the top of the keys that is showing as well down to, so it doesnt drive me completely bonkers....character.

(i learnt to live with things like this many years ago with my first car hehe)

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:06 pm

just listen to the thing and you'll see where all the effort has gone.... it's still built like a tank even with the odd bit of "character" :-)

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Just curious, can anyone name another current synth manufacturer that has design flaws like this?

I can't help but think that the Sub37 was perhaps pushed out the door too soon due to high demand before it was ready. I don't see this kind of design flaw (character?) in any other Moog products, do any of you?

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:11 am

i hear you, but you also have to think about this....the Sub37 is built like a Tank. just look at some of the other shiny, plastic flimsy offerings by other companies.

so yes its a small problem but its overall built to last through Armageddon and i think this is the tradeoff. so few ppl complain.

Subber37

Post by Subber37 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:17 am

I have the gap but it really doesn't bother me. Left side light shines through. Think we all have it pretty much. It is a shame it wasn't sorted before release but as others have said, the rest of the main casing etc is built very well and it's solid, heavy and puts most other new synths to shame (the mass produced ones) as far as material quality (the wood, the ally, the detailing, the feel of the knobs etc - all 1st class to me)

HOWEVER - my only real annoyance is the lower portion. The keybed mainly (uneven, hinge holes on show, wonky keys - basically cheap chinese keybed formed from the cheapest plastic known to man it seems - also the black keys seem to have the same strength springs as the white which means the blacks are very tough to press FAST sometimes with just a tip of the finger when noodling quick lines, some of my keys even have rough front edges like they were chucked in a parts bin then pulled out and fitted!!). Not happy about the keybed tbh and it does make me leave the cover on it more than I should because I find it slightly depressing for the £1200 I paid :( I'm not even sure how.. or if I could sort this (Andy at moog did offer to send me a key but am still waiting on a promised parcel from 3 months ago not related to that so doubt anything would arrive) and as I'm in the UK it's not as easy to just to/fro the moog factory (I'm aware they have UK workshops etc). What I'd ideally like is to be able to just swap my entire keybed assembly out for a replacement that sits straight and works evenly. I have photos but that's for the other keybed thread.. I'm just ranting here a bit cos tired :)

Also the pitch bend does go off centre a bit when pushed up (not very strong mounting) and the pitch bend panel is slightly wonky so the line/gap between it and the upper control panel isn't straight. Small things but they do occasionally make me sigh, it's a moog, it was quite expensive for a mono... I shouldn't have to feel that way.. should I?

Thankfully it sounds great, it has awesome features, it's lovely to work with and has a lot of time and care put into the O.S and the interface.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:02 am

yes, the "hinge holes on show" drives me bananas. a major manufacturing/design flaw. i dunno how they let that one go....its so obvious.

quite a few ppl have a problem where some individual white keys sit up higher than others. i have a feeling that the felt that is a "stopper" underneath gets compressed more for that key for whatever reason, possibly heavy pressure or abuse, and the key sits deeper into the felt when it comes to a "stop" and sits higher.

wickett

Post by wickett » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:13 am

Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to know if I had a defective unit. I haven't noticed it since. Just having fun twiddling. I don't understand how the different modules interact but it sure sounds great whatever knobs I tweak.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:28 am

Blackout wrote:yes, the "hinge holes on show" drives me bananas. a major manufacturing/design flaw.
Just curious...

In your design flaw rating system, if "hinge holes on show" is rated as a "major manufacturing/design flaw", what rating would a design flaw get if it electrocuted the customer?

It just seems like your rating scale is skewed oddly. :wink:
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _