Sub 37 - External sync & LFO

Everything Sub.
alcolmx

Sub 37 - External sync & LFO

Post by alcolmx » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm trying to sync MOD 2 to an external clock (either CV or MIDI, doesn't matter), but I want MOD 2 to affect the ARP speed. Is this possible? If the MOD 2 sync button is on it's trying to sync to the thing that it's trying affect... right? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

gian77

Re: Sub 37 - External sync & LFO

Post by gian77 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:54 am

Hello Alcomx,

Actually, ARP tempo is the Sub37's master tempo.
When other SYNC buttons (MOD 1, MOD 2 and ENVELOPPEs) are engaged, they will follow the ARP clock (internal or synced to external tempo by MIDI or CV).

Hope this could help.
Sub 37 (FW 1.2.0 / 1.0.1), Minitaur (FW 2.2.2 / 3.3.0), MF-Drive & MF-Delay
Ableton Live 11 on macOS Big Sur v11.2.3

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:21 am

I have the sme / similar question.

I want LFO 1 rate to sync to external midi clock. I'm hoping there's a quick and dirty way to do this?

:oops: :idea: :oops:

I should say the sync button gave me really weird response... Twisting the Arp rate knob, I seemed to be getting much faster and a doubling up of rhythms, I wish there were a record of the sub 37 presets so I knew how they were built... Would help!

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:37 am

Yes you can only affect arp speed if it is internal (not synced). You can then change it using mod1/mod2 or a pedal assigned to it.

If it is synced externally you cannot modify the rate with any controls other than the arp rate ... which will base the new tempo on a variation of the synced clock input (eg. double the rate, half the rate).

As already mentioned previously ... you can sync the mods and envelopes with the arp rate.

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:47 pm

I can't find how to get the moog to sync externally, in the manual it's almost like they're saying, just plug in an external line. It must be something really obvious because I can't see it in the midi or global menus. I'm hoping it's not a per preset function again like the LP, such a pain to change each time.

I did realise later the behaviour of sync was because it decides on which multiples of clock it's going to use, so I must have had my settings too high. But I never did figure out how to go off external clock.

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:56 pm

Sorry, ini ally found it - I was doing the right thing, just hadn't realised, the sync button on the arp WILL sync to external. Sorry,dumb... Late night hams not a good idea sometimes. Hopefully this chat will remind me, the behaviour of the sync won't change unless you do actually plus in an external line, otherwise it will use internal clock and perform other functions.

I was trying to set it up before plugging in the external clock.

lushr

Post by lushr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:39 am

HALP!!! :x

I am having a hell of a time trying to get the Lfo clock divider and arp bpm to sync to my external source!

I'm using the machine drum, through the beat step pro, out to the sub 37.

It seems to be receiving clock, but getting the Lfo to sync to it, changing on the half beat is killing me!?

And they say music is fun :|

The closest I can get is the two knobs (arp and Lfo 1) at 12 o'clock. But it's still not quite right. My bom should be 104bpm.

The Arturia is sending 1 beat for 1 beat. The machine drum is playing 4 beats to one beat. Maybe that's the problem? But I don't know how to adjust the sub 37 accordingly, all my other gear seems intuitive.

And I've read the manual for cc messages on Lfo clock divider, but I can't say I understand it well.

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:14 pm

Assuming that the Sub 37 is receiving clock correctly via external sync, a couple of things to check.

Turning the arp rate knob will result in a tempo precisely related to the clock signal (but faster or slower). There is a Preset Edit parameter Arpeggiator ==> Clock Div which I believe is the saved value equivalent to adjusting the arp rate.

Make sure LFO sync is on. Turning the LFO rate should then be an exact division of the clock signal (with halved or same or doubled beats etc). There should be no guessing or fine tuning involved.

If you are not sure what clock is being sent try also hooking the machine drum sync directly to the Sub 37 first. If you are sending the clock from the machine drum through the BeatStep (which I am unfamiliar with) you have to make sure the clock is being passed through the midi port you are using.