Moog Sub 37 noise floor

Everything Sub.
Chemishev

Moog Sub 37 noise floor

Post by Chemishev » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:41 am

Hi guys, I've recently noticed that I've got a little bit of noise coming out from my Sub 37 from just being turned on. Is not a huge problem on its own, but when I have like 10 recordings done in the same project (even 3 or 4), the noise becomes obvious and annoying. And on all of my productions I heavily rely on synths.

Moog Sub 37 - noise floor
Moog Sub 37 noise floor
Moog Sub 37 noise floor
Elektron Analog Keys - noise floor
Elektron Analog Keys noise floor
Elektron Analog Keys noise floor
the gain level difference in terms of noise floor is non-relevant as both synths had different outputs levels at the time when the screenshots were taken.

Initially I thought it was a cable issue, then after trying a proper cable with no results I thought it was a ground loop issue, which again was proven not to be the case. The only "solution" that I've come to is to apply a Noise Gate plug-in which eliminates everything below -69dB, but that only kills the noise when the synth is not playing. While its playing the noise is still present and the Noise Gate plug-in can't do anything about it.

I am looking for a solution which would eliminate the noise once forever. Do you think a DI box could solve this problem? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks
Last edited by Chemishev on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

telemason

Re: Moog Sub 37 noise floor

Post by telemason » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 pm

I too am having an odd noise floor problem with my Sub 37 after upgrading firmware to 1.1.0. Never noticed it on the previous firmware, so maybe someone else here has had a similar experience...

I've noticed that when no notes are being played, no sound comes out of the synth, totally fine as expected. When any keys are played, there's an audible white/pink/whatever noise that comes out in combination with the oscillators. I've turned off all oscillators, and even swept the LPF to its lowest point at full counter-clockwise, which should (in theory) filter the noise out. The noise is quite audible, and becomes more audible when the volume knob is turned up... This leads me to believe the noise is coming after the filter in the signal path...

This may be similar to Chemishev's OP, or it may be something different alltogether. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Again, no noise issues before upgrading to 1.1.0

Thanks everyone!

PS: I am absolutely in LOVE with my Sub37.
MacBook Pro, 2.6Ghz i7, 16GB RAM |OS X El Cap, 10.11.3 | Live 9.6 Suite | Push2| Sub 37 | Theremini | DSI Prophet 12 | Nord Stage 2 | MOTU Traveler | ONYX 1640i

Subber37

Post by Subber37 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:35 pm

Tell me guys, do you have your USB cables plugged in when this is happening?

If so unplug and retest.

This is a common trait on any modern USB synth as you pick up RF noise via USB from the computer. You can buy a cheap isolater that sits on the cable to stop this. I had USB noise and noticed it in a quiet recording. Unplugged the USB cable and it went! :)

Other than that I can't say I've noticed or gone looking for high noise floor so don't think I'll start ;)

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Please, can you both contribute to the Sub37 SN thread, just to help track down the main problems the Sub37 can be subject to vs SN?

I'll check mine for noise, but in my current configuration (Sub37 > MF-104m > Strymon BigSky > Edirol UA-5 > Yamaha HS7) I didn't noticed a rise of noise floor when upgrading to FW1.1.

Many thanks already for your contribution.

All the best,

Greg

Chemishev

Post by Chemishev » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:58 am

Subber37 wrote:Tell me guys, do you have your USB cables plugged in when this is happening?

If so unplug and retest.

This is a common trait on any modern USB synth as you pick up RF noise via USB from the computer. You can buy a cheap isolater that sits on the cable to stop this. I had USB noise and noticed it in a quiet recording. Unplugged the USB cable and it went! :)
USB noise is a bit different and it is most likely to happen if you use an USB hub. I've tried your suggestion though, but no result.
Out of curiosity, you can make a quick test to see if you've got the same noise floor. I'm trying to figure out if that noise is just from my unit or it is something that everyone else has.. will appreciate your time!

Has anyone tried it with a DI box???

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Looking at the graphs you posted, the noise shape is pretty much identical for both synths. This indicates to me a problem with your signal path, not with the synths themselves. I would check everything *after* the synths in your chain. Let us know what you find, if anything.

telemason

Post by telemason » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:44 pm

To no avail, when unplugging USB cables, I still have a noise floor issue. My problem isn't when keys are triggered. If you aren't playing anything, the noise floor is acceptable, quiet. It's only when pressing a key, or turning latch on, does it exhibit this problem (basically sounds like hiss).

This is especially noticeable when I play a key and have the filter cutoff turned all the way down, at a 24db slope. This should be filtering any high frequency noise, hiss, etc... out, but it doesn't. This seems to be amplified by turning the volume knob up. It basically is a hiss that only happens when a note is triggered or "on". Otherwise, everything is nicely quiet... Never noticed this before... maybe it was always there, but not sure... Maybe something in the amplifier circuit, post filter? The hiss is affected by the ADSR values, so it seems to be between these two stages in the signal path...

Trying to create low sweeping sub-bass notes, but the hiss is driving me nuts. I know I can EQ around it, but then I would lose all the delicious harmonics and moogy snarl buzz as the filter sweeps higher...

What's also interesting, is when I plugged in the Sub 37 in the studio this morning, cold... I didn't notice any hissing... It was only after 10-20 minutes that it started to become noticeable... Which makes me curious if this sort of thing happens only after it "warms up"...

Maybe I'm being too picky... If this is a common thing, it might just be the synth, and that's that... Which I could be fine with... But if it isn't, I sure would like to figure out a solution... This may actually need to be a different thread from the OP.
MacBook Pro, 2.6Ghz i7, 16GB RAM |OS X El Cap, 10.11.3 | Live 9.6 Suite | Push2| Sub 37 | Theremini | DSI Prophet 12 | Nord Stage 2 | MOTU Traveler | ONYX 1640i

Chemishev

Post by Chemishev » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:38 pm

my signal path is as follows: Sub 37 goes directly to through an 1/4" balanced jack cable to Universal Audio Apollo then it goes to a Mac through a Thunderbolt cable. the Sub 37 is also connected to the Mac through an USB cable. I've already tried different jack cables, different USB cables.

It turns out this region 5-20kHz is the audio card's noise floor. It's just the audio card, with no synth plugged in.
UAD Apollo's noise floor
UAD Apollo's noise floor
When I plug the synth in the 60Hz hum/noise appears.
Sub 37 plugged in
Sub 37 plugged in
The only solution I've found is to keep the audio card's input level very low, and the Sub 37's output gain at Max
when Sub 37's Output Gain is at Maximum and UAD Apollo's input is very low
when Sub 37's Output Gain is at Maximum and UAD Apollo's input is very low
In that way I get a healthy recording, because the SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) is good enough.

I've noticed that when I record with Sub 37's output gain at max while have a low input gain on the Apollo, the sound is somehow punchier. And when having the Sub 37's output at about 3 and higher input gain on the Apollo, the sound is a bit more round.

Does that mean when I drive the Sub 37's Output gain at max I get a distortion, because I can't really hear one? But I remember someone saying that on the Sub 37 you can get a distortion not only from the Multidrive and FDBK/EXT IN, but from the Oscillator levels in Mixer section. Do we get a distortion from the Main Output Volume too?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Hmmm, that's almost exactly my setup except that I use Firewire not Thunderbolt. Which input are you using? The HiZ in front or one of 4-8 round back? Also, do you have everything plugged into the same outlet in the wall? If not, this can sometimes cause that 60 cycle to appear in the signal.

Chemishev

Post by Chemishev » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:28 pm

Mine is Apollo Twin actually, that's why I'm using the Thunderbolt :)
I'm using the Mic/Line input and yes the same outlet as I don't have the option to use a different one, that explains the 60Hz hum..
but anyways, have you got that noise at 5-20kHz from your Apollo?

Has anyone else got it?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:33 pm

No noise in mine. I have the Sub37, Sub Phatty, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, MS-20 Kit, and a few DIYs connected...

Chemishev

Post by Chemishev » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 am

mmarsh100 wrote:Which input are you using? The HiZ in front or one of 4-8 round back?
I'm using the Mic/Line inputs at the back. I'm not sure if I can use the HiZ input for a synth..? Do I need a DI box in order to do so? And do I need an Active or a Passive DI box? :roll:

d3n5ity

Post by d3n5ity » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:24 pm

telemason wrote:I too am having an odd noise floor problem with my Sub 37 after upgrading firmware to 1.1.0. Never noticed it on the previous firmware, so maybe someone else here has had a similar experience...

I've noticed that when no notes are being played, no sound comes out of the synth, totally fine as expected. When any keys are played, there's an audible white/pink/whatever noise that comes out in combination with the oscillators. I've turned off all oscillators, and even swept the LPF to its lowest point at full counter-clockwise, which should (in theory) filter the noise out. The noise is quite audible, and becomes more audible when the volume knob is turned up... This leads me to believe the noise is coming after the filter in the signal path...

This may be similar to Chemishev's OP, or it may be something different alltogether. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Again, no noise issues before upgrading to 1.1.0

Thanks everyone!

PS: I am absolutely in LOVE with my Sub37.

I have this exact problem! Has any progress on this issue been made?

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:17 pm

I find a passive DI box works great for eliminating noise problems.
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

cts006

Post by cts006 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:20 am

Op mentioned using a balanced cable. I would recommend trying a TS/instrument/unbalanced cable; IIRC using a balanced cable in a situation like this could cause a ground loop.