Sub 37 Case?

Everything Sub.
someones_ghost

Sub 37 Case?

Post by someones_ghost » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:46 am

So I'm looking into a case for my Sub 37, and the options seem pretty limited--either the molded case, or the ATA case. Considering the price and quality difference, it seems like a no-brainer to go the ATA route, but I'm not sure how I feel about "MOOG" being so large and prominent on the side--I'll be taking it to and playing in some less than reputable areas of town...

Any recommendations on alternatives? Or does anybody love the ATA case so much they'd be willing to convince me it's the best option?!

Thanks!

aroom

Re: Sub 37 Case?

Post by aroom » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:56 am

Hi,

Iv'e got the ATA case, and one thing is sure : it's solid, but heavy as hell.

I've tried the molded case but I wasn't satisfied with the build quality. I've got a gig bag also, but the straps broke after 5 minutes walking to the railway station... it sucks big time.

Now I'm stuck with the expensive - but well built - ATA case. I've bought a foldable trolley to help me carry the case. But it's not perfect. It's so heavy...

Anyway, I really hoped that the gig bag was a lot more reliable, cause it's the easy way to carry the synth. But damn it's not, at least if you want to use it as a back pack... It's a way to fragile.

So at least with the ATA case, I don't worry about my synth, but just about my hernia :)

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:43 am

I too am interested in opinions - considering the moulded case because I need something protective and preferably not so bulky as a flight case but the flight case is only marginally more expensive and presumably is the most protection a case can offer... is the ATA overkill for general use? I mostly bring my 37 to studio sessions and tour a bit but always pack our own gear (back of van, sometimes trailer) and fly out maybe once or twice a year and I seem to remember the moulded case previously (though not currently) was described as meeting ATA spec (unless I've confused that with something else I read?)

mostly I don't want to deal with dragging a big ol' flight case around town if I don't need to...
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:13 am

if money is not the issue...then theres a fairly easy way to decide.

if you are taking the Sub37 on FLIGHTS...get the flight case.

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:48 am

I purchased the Flight Case first. It is very heavy-duty! Then I had to carry it up a narrow staircase in my bandmate's apartment just to rehearse. Yikes!

So I purchased the soft case. Very nice quality. Not a ton of protection but enough to keep the Sub from any damage under normal conditions. The velcro straps inside are generically placed as the case is also used for the Phatty. Not a bad purchase though.

So; Bag for rehearsals and light, easy gigs. Flight Case for scarier situations.

Here's one negative my buddy pointed out; Written on the Flight Case is "Steal Me First". Written on the bag is "Grab Me And Run". Funny though. Each sentence is spelled the same. "Moog" : D
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:55 am

RE: MOOG logo on case.

Played a gig in April where the bassist in the other band used a Little Phatty, and also had the same soft-case I use with the same MOOG stencil on the side. Come load-out time, my lovely wife decides to help, and as you might guess, picked up the wrong case and walked right out the door! :shock: I noticed immediately, and the other guy was right there in pursuit of his gear. We laughed and joked that he almost ended up with the better deal!

someones_ghost

Post by someones_ghost » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks for the input, guys.

I wouldn't say money is an issue, but having MOOG written on the side of the ATA case, and also not having any sort of a locking mechanism are somewhat of deterrents. I'd prefer to just get a generic ATA case--is it easy (and even worth it) to custom order from somebody? Anybody have experience with such a thing?

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:03 pm

@ OP

You could always get some black spray paint or less permanent black duct/gaffers tape. You could also paint over the Moog bit and stencil over the paint patch your contact info.

araucaria

Post by araucaria » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:33 pm

I ordered this case from Germany some time ago:

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Moog ... 003161-000

The build quality is excellent, the Sub fits snugly, and it has no "advertisements" on the outside ;)

Recommended.

cheers,
Michel

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:34 am

I got one of these from ebay. very quick delivery and wanted a few extra bits of foam from them once it arrived - they were sent free and arrived the next day. going on the road with it next week.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moog-Sub-37-K ... 27fdd5b113

i got the one with room for cables and effects pedals on the side. also paid extra for the light weight materials. very portable if a bit heavy once fully loaded.

Flareless

Post by Flareless » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:43 am

someones_ghost wrote:Thanks for the input, guys.

... and also not having any sort of a locking mechanism are somewhat of deterrents. ...?
There is a very sturdy ring on the cover closing clamp that allows you to put a padlock on the case. It might keep someone out for the length of time it takes to work a bolt-cutter :wink:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart