Least used feature on the Sub 37?

Everything Sub.
JavaLaurence

Least used feature on the Sub 37?

Post by JavaLaurence » Sun May 17, 2015 5:00 am

Hi,

I've got my Sub 37 nearly 6 months now, and love it... but I'm wondering whether I'm missing out on some things by not using some of the synth's features.

Personally, I've yet to exploit the Delay/Hold/Vel Amt/.. alternative functions in the Filter EG section.
Other features which haven't (yet?) found a good home in my bag of tricks are:
* Glide type
* Noise (yeah.. I know..)
* FDBK (use it sometimes, I find that only a very small part of the full knob range produces interesting effects)
* the new firmware features for the sequencer are very welcome, but I'm having difficulty memorising them (no labels, overloaded button functions.. don't make it easy).

Maybe this thread can help us share replies like "So you don't use X yet? Just try this... and then I'm sure you'll know how to use X from now on."

GregVDS

Re: Least used feature on the Sub 37?

Post by GregVDS » Sun May 17, 2015 8:13 am

FDBK is nicely welcome to compensate when resonance eats up too much volume, as Multidrive too.
Noise is great for wind, shores, stuff like that.
The new sequencer functions are great. I found an interesting trick: place the end note before the first note, and one can alternate to parts of the sequence around a pivot step:
Let's have a 4 steps seq; define the step2 as the last step, you have 1-2-1-2-...; define now first step as step 4, you have instantly 2-3-4-2-3-4-..., again define step 1 as last step, you come back to 1-2-1-2-... :-)

In the EG, I used KB TRACK to mimick the way piano notes are shorter and shorter up you go.

I seldom go to PWN, usually sticking between square and sawtooth, I know, shame...

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:50 am

I can't really see a purpose for the added envelope stages, delay and hold. The alternate glide functions are nice though, exponential is great when using glide without legato enabled. That said, I'll probably never use the arp. and seq. functions.

To go off topic, the most missed feature on the Sub 37 for me is Voyager's BP filter, which can create some very musical sounds.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Sun May 17, 2015 9:33 am

VEL AMT gets used for almost everything, as does Aftertouch. Delay and Hold not so much.

What I really truly ignore is the sequencer. :shock: Even with its new functions, I never use it. Instead all sequencer functions are handled by an outboard MIDI sequencer, that does most everything found in the new firmware.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sun May 17, 2015 9:42 am

Ive not plugged in the USB port yet....after over 6 months of daily use...

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Sun May 17, 2015 10:14 am

Mike37 wrote:I can't really see a purpose for the added envelope stages, delay and hold ...
I have never used envelope delay, however hold is essential for those punchy sequencer lines and certain bass sounds.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 am

kvitekp wrote:
Mike37 wrote:I can't really see a purpose for the added envelope stages, delay and hold ...
I have never used envelope delay, however hold is essential for those punchy sequencer lines and certain bass sounds.

/Peter
Envelope delay is useful for me when layering with other synths ... Makes for some nice pad type sounds.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Sun May 17, 2015 1:43 pm

The OFF switch :D

R.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:44 am

I can't really see a purpose for the added envelope stages, delay and hold.
Extremely useful when using the envelope as a mod source and when looping and/or droning.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Mon May 18, 2015 11:42 am

As silly as it sounds A: the headphones jack and B: the keyboard.