NI Massive Sqr has more bass than Sub37 Sqr

Everything Sub.
Backbeatdeano

NI Massive Sqr has more bass than Sub37 Sqr

Post by Backbeatdeano » Fri May 15, 2015 9:56 am

Hey folks. Just an observation. I was making a track using Native Instruments Massive for the bassline, and I thought I'd swap duties to the Sub37. However when I did this there seemed to be noticeably less bass. Under further inspection it turns out that the raw Square wave in Massive has more low end than the raw Square from the sub.

Does anyone know why this would be? I was a little surprised as I was sure the Moog was Gona have more bottom to it!

bichuelo

Re: NI Massive Sqr has more bass than Sub37 Sqr

Post by bichuelo » Fri May 15, 2015 12:13 pm

do you have a Minitaur, or maybe a Taurus III to compare it with?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

torinkrell

Re: NI Massive Sqr has more bass than Sub37 Sqr

Post by torinkrell » Fri May 15, 2015 1:04 pm

The Sub 37 is an excellent synth for bass duties, however it's raw waveforms with its filter wide open will not emphasize the bass unless you program it to sound bass heavy. Lowering the filter setting and adding in the sub oscillator will increase the low fundamental in the sub37's tone giving it the bass heft that you are likely striving for. If you drive all the oscillators hard and add the overdrive you will be creating a lot of overtones which will often reduce the perception of pure deep bass. So actually reducing the level of all the oscillators and backing off on the overdrive will increase the perception of the bass fundamental. Of course it would be best for you to post what type of bass you are trying to get so this forum can provide more detailed and specific programming info.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)