Sub 37 - Keyboard quality and playability

Everything Sub.
Fuzzykeys

Re: Sub 37 - Keyboard quality and playability

Post by Fuzzykeys » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm interested to hear if there are any updates on this as well. I'm thinking about buying a Sub 37 to pair with my Virus TI2 (which has a great keyboard) but this thread has definitely given me pause.

scarletseason

Post by scarletseason » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Just got my Sub 37 in the mail yesterday and was sad to find a defective key. Took a bit of exploring and playing to discover, as its behavior is inconsistent-- sometimes plays fine as expected, sometimes seems to send a note off message while I'm holding it down. Moog wants me to send it in for repair, which means a LONG wait. Having read this thread, I'm wondering if there might be another option. The keybed is indeed uneven, which I could live with, but a defective key, not so much. I'm crazy about the synth already, and really don't want to send it right back out. Anybody else have a similar issue and/or think that a replacement keybed would be a likely solution? Opinions welcome! :)

ron00

Post by ron00 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:06 pm

A digital piano is better than a keyboard. A digital piano can use as a digital keyboard, concert piano, acoustic piano etc.

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Control_Voltage wrote:Hi Guys,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here!!!

To all above discussing the tension on the keys of the Sub 37, I have provided this feedback to our engineering department for future revisions of the keyboard, and I am attempting to source lighter tension springs for this keybed. Once I have these in sufficient quantities, I will post here and you guys can request these springs for changing out on your Sub 37.
@Control_Voltage,

did you get anywhere with the lighter springs?

I love my Sub 37, but I'd still prefer lighter springs to max out the playing feel of my little Moog :)

Baker83

Post by Baker83 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:33 am

If you just need realistic keys, you probably want to check out this setup:
https://www.allpianos.com/digital

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:50 pm

Baker83 wrote:If you just need realistic keys, you probably want to check out this setup:
https://www.allpianos.com/digital
I don't think anyone wants or expects piano action. We're just discussing the finer points of the Sub 37's synth action keyboard.

Some of us would like a little lighter action, so that it gets less springy and more snappy/bouncy, or a bit more Fatar like. It can be improved in that direction with a set of lighter springs. Then there is the somewhat uneven feeling where the black keys are stiffer than the white ones. That can probably bet balanced by using the lighter springs on the black keys only (I intend to try that one of these days...).