Eurorack CV in Pitch Issues - Sub Phatty

Everything Sub.
scrichton

Eurorack CV in Pitch Issues - Sub Phatty

Post by scrichton » Sun May 10, 2015 7:46 am

Hi Guys,

I've finally got round to making up cables to get CV in to the sub phatty from my eurorack system, gate / filter / kb etc all seem fine, however pitch CV seems to be a little weird.

I've tried 3 sequencers ( MFB 03 , Intellijel Metropolis and the Makenoise Rene ) which all adhere to the 5v per octave standard and all produce the same issue.

When plugging into the CV the sub phatty shoots up to the highest note it can get to, no matter what pitch is sent it will never return, pressing a key on phatty will not change this nor will attenuating the CV in.

Further to this when I remove the cable ( I've tried 4 different ones now to rule out a cable ) the pitch remains at the highest playable note and in many cases I need to turn the Sub Phatty off to get it to return or at least change patches a couple of times.

Any help here would be really appreciated, as I've spent the money on a roland SBX to allow the midi > cv on the outbound of the sub phatty and really would like the eurorack to sequence the sub phatty to make my little studio a complete little humming / screetching and bleeping hive mind :)

Steven
Last edited by scrichton on Thu May 21, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_DemonDan_

Re: Eurorack CV in Pitch Issues - Sub Phatty

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon May 11, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Steven,

Try: GLOBAL MENU / CALIBRATION / PITCH CV CAL / USE DEFAULT
and press SAVE button.

If that doesn't calibrate to your satisfaction, perform the RECORD 1V and RECORD 4V operations.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

scrichton

Post by scrichton » Mon May 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try tonight.

Is this done from the software or can it also be accessed through the shift functions? I didn't see any indication of it in the manual hence the questions

scrichton

Post by scrichton » Mon May 11, 2015 4:21 pm

I've been through the software and the manual now and there's no global calibration for CV with the Sub Phatty.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Could it be a mis-calibration on the firmware update? The only other thing I can see is the option to re-run the initial calibration routines.

I've also used a beatstep now as well with similar results, so I can rule out the other hardware at fault unless I have 5 sequencers all out of whack perfectly together :D

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon May 11, 2015 4:50 pm

"D'oh!" Sorry, I missed that it was for the Sub Phatty.

Those are Sub 37 instructions. :oops:
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

scrichton

Post by scrichton » Thu May 21, 2015 4:56 am

Well, if the Moog guys read any of this forum I hope they see this as emailing the support team has been useless. Any kind of response would be helpful for a product within warranty and one that is definitely a premium product in it's market. Not just a dead end.

This is the 3rd sub phatty I am on now and 3/3 have issues. Not a happy customer at all.

So if anyone at Moog sees this please message me with some kind of advice, resolution or I go back to the distributor and ask for yet another one.

Steven

TBN

Post by TBN » Thu May 21, 2015 6:47 am

Could it be that you are sending a negative voltage to the phatty?
IfI remember correctly th "sub-series" only accepts voltages from 0-5V.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Thu May 21, 2015 10:26 am

scrichton wrote:...which all adhere to the 5v per octave standard...
Is this the issue? AFAIK Moog products confirm to a 1v per octave spread (with many discussion threads about it being slightly greater or slightly less than 1v depending on the specific product). Seems like 5v would send the signal up to the highest note, as you are experiencing.

But! I'm not a CV guy, just trying to help here.

scrichton

Post by scrichton » Thu May 21, 2015 12:03 pm

Even a 0v input ( I've tried minus attenuated too) it goes to the highest pitch and locks. The cv cable unpatched to anything else causes it too.

All the CV sources are doing this. The roland SBX is specifically designed not to go above 5v too. So it's either hardware or firmware. I've tested with far too many devices and cables for it to be anything else.

scrichton

Post by scrichton » Thu May 21, 2015 12:05 pm

MoogProg wrote:
scrichton wrote:...which all adhere to the 5v per octave standard...
Is this the issue? AFAIK Moog products confirm to a 1v per octave spread (with many discussion threads about it being slightly greater or slightly less than 1v depending on the specific product). Seems like 5v would send the signal up to the highest note, as you are experiencing.

But! I'm not a CV guy, just trying to help here.

Sorry I meant all adhere to the 1v per octave here. Not non-linear standards like korg.

scrichton

Post by scrichton » Thu May 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Another thing to say is in another thread its stated by a moog tech the max controllable value is 5v , but they will accept upto a 12v signal with no damage to the input. However, when you remove the cable, so no input at all the signal is locked up there until I turn the sub phatty off then back on again.

There is also a moog official video of the sub-phatty working with a moog modular sequencer and that according to what I have read utilised a 0-10v range too.

Final example is there is a few youtube videos of the doepfer dark time sequencing the sub phatty too over CV and these adhere to the same ranges as my atlantis / beatstep / SBX and CVPal.

scrichton

Post by scrichton » Thu May 21, 2015 12:20 pm

I also just checked the sequencer I have in Euro and tried with first, the Intellijel Metropolis.

If you look in the manual. This is 100% in spec with Moog's Sub Phatty requirements.

Page 2:

"3 - PITCH output jack
The pitch control voltage (CV) is produced here. This would usually be patched to the 1V/Oct or
PITCH/FM inputs on a VCO. This signal is in the range of 0-5V and scaled to 1V/Oct."

http://www.intellijel.com/wp-content/up ... l-v1.0.pdf

My MFB Seq 03 in 5 octave quantization ( my chosen poison of quantisation ) is 0-5v

Makenoise Rene::

11. CV: An unquantized Control Voltage of the currently selected location will appear at this output. At
the CV OUT, the location potentiometers are always “live.” Value 0 to 4.5V

So everything should in no way cause any issues. Once again .. Moog support guys, anyone listening? 8 days I've been waiting on a response

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Thu May 21, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi Guys,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here!!!

My apologies for any long delays in email replies as we have been having a little bit of trouble with our email server.

Also, while we occasionally monitor these forums, we can't feasibly monitor every thread that gets posted.

Please feel free to contact me directly via email at [email protected], or for an urgent matter please call tech support at 1-(828)-251-0090 xt. 221, 217 or 204.

Please tag in the subject line FORUM POST ISSUE so I can easily differentiate it from the hundreds of other inquiries I receive each week, and please flag it as urgent.

In the body of the email, include your Forum User Name so I can easily track back to the original post, and also a link to the forum where you were posting.

My thanks for your patience and understanding.

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.