Sub 37 clicks?

Everything Sub.
Jeffery&wayne

Sub 37 clicks?

Post by Jeffery&wayne » Sat May 09, 2015 7:17 pm

is there something wrong with my sub37? It seems to always have a clicking noise when sequenced or midi information is used. Here is a video to demonstrate what happens

http://youtu.be/5PZJob9LU6I

Subber37

Re: Sub 37 clicks?

Post by Subber37 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:11 am

Have you tried moving the attack up (amp env) very slightly? could just be the super-fast envelopes, lots of analogs click like that ( a sign they are fast and can actually do very fast/sharp sounds like kick drums etc) - for sounds that don't require that 'click' you just up the attack on amp a small amount and - click goes!

If you try that and it still clicks all the time - then yes maybe a fault!!

Jeffery&wayne

Post by Jeffery&wayne » Mon May 11, 2015 9:16 am

Yes I have, still get the clicks, the only way I can stop the clicks is to have the release way up, but maybe that is just the nature of the mood envelopes. Just want to be sure that it is normal and not something wrong.

Draks

Post by Draks » Sun May 17, 2015 4:37 pm

I have not had a chance to try what you have demonstrated yet , but I wonder if the clicks are due to the resonance being turned up.

Try reducing the resonance to zero

bernard

Post by bernard » Mon May 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Jeffery&wayne ,
nothing's wrong with your Sub37.

Clicks occur when a waveform isn't continuous. With the (vca) envelope you change the level of the signal. With A=0, D=0 and S=0 the signal level will rise from 0 to maximum in a very short time (about 1ms) and goes back to 0 with the same time. This peak is - thank god and Mr. Fourier - a high frequency for the time of 2ms, which is recognized as a "click".

If you extend the times of attack and/or decay, the slew rate of this level change gets lower and thus the frequency of the "click" too. It gets less audible. The richer the frequency spectrum of the input signal, the less the "click" will be audible too.

In this range of very short times, the pots of the envelope must be adjusted carefully and precise, with consideration of the waveform of the oszillator(s), the filter cutoff and at least - in case of running a sequence - the sum of the attack and the decay times must be shorter than the played note, otherwise another "noteoff"-click occures. (keep in mind that the notes are played only the half time of the steplength (if the gatelength is still set to 50% like default).

However, even if the attack time might be very long, if the decay time is very short (and the sustain level lower than maximum of course), there will be a *jump* in the waveform at the end of the attack phase, which produces a click, so you have to extend the decay time and - in case of sustain unequal zero - the release time too.

This reminds me on several discussions between synth-developers about the waveform of envelopes. From time to time some call for S-shaped envelopes to prevent jumps at the transitions of the different env-phases. But no manufacturer heard it 'til now. (In video editors for instance, S-shaped transistions are very common).
But in the end it's always a question of times and velocities if we experience a *click*.

cheers,
Bernard

profan

Post by profan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:13 pm

bernard wrote:Jeffery&wayne ,
nothing's wrong with your Sub37.

Clicks occur when a waveform isn't continuous. With the (vca) envelope you change the level of the signal. With A=0, D=0 and S=0 the signal level will rise from 0 to maximum in a very short time (about 1ms) and goes back to 0 with the same time. This peak is - thank god and Mr. Fourier - a high frequency for the time of 2ms, which is recognized as a "click"
So far i'm with you.... but what when all is put down? i mean all OSC are off, Mixer volumes down, Cutoff and Resonanz are down nothing is running. Then i start the Sequencer and i still have a click sound. Is that normal too?