Sub 37, Fine Tune

Everything Sub.
dwetmaster

Sub 37, Fine Tune

Post by dwetmaster » Tue May 05, 2015 11:34 am

Hi MOOG.
I'm quite excited with my brand new Sub37 and looking forward to know all the insides of this beast. I can now say confidently that I don't regret having sold my Little phatty for this great upgrade.

NOW:
Can somebody explain me a bit better the fine tune knob as a tuning control? on the Little phatty it could be enabled or disabled. But I don't see the parameter now.

Also, is there a quick way to bring back the pitch to "440Hz"? There is no center detent on the pot so I'm never certain that it's back to 440 just by looking at it.

Kollektor

Re: Sub 37, Fine Tune

Post by Kollektor » Tue May 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi D,

I found your post interesting and did a simple experiment. I had this theory that there was this dead zone around 12 o'clock where the synth would always be in perfect tune. As it turned out that didn't seem to be true. I tried a couple of tuners. The first being my Korg Chromatic Tuner but the resolution isn't fine enough to determine that. Then I tried a tuner on my iphone which was a bit laggy but much more detailed and it pretty much disproved my theory about the dead zone.

Then I started thinking about it and realized dead zone / notch or not, the synthesizer is a living instrument and the environment will most likely affect tuning to some, however small, degree. So, my conclusion is that if you need it to be perfectly tuned there is now way around using a good tuner.

The tuning on mine was just a little bit off at center position but I could probably only hear it if playing with other instruments. I have never retuned mine so it might be possible that tuning might be improved.

One way of bringing it back to 440 would be to start with an init preset and save it occasionally so you can reload it in tune if you happen to accidentally touch the fine tune knob.

/Andy

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Wed May 06, 2015 2:06 am

Hi dwetmaster,

It's the nature of the beast that a centre detent wouldn't necessarily be in tune. That what ears are for :-)

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Wed May 06, 2015 4:00 am

I checked yestereve with a guitar chromatic tuner what was the sensitivity of the fine tune knob. Basically, you have +/- 1/2 tone, and the 'flat' area where my tuner was not discerning any changes was rather large around 12 o'clock. So basically, I think we have enough precision to be in tune with others.

I confirm, that's what ears are for.

dwetmaster

Post by dwetmaster » Wed May 06, 2015 2:02 pm

It may be "That's what ears are for" but the listening environment is not always ideal. So it's nice to be able to rely on electronics a bit.

What the enable/Disable like the little phatty. Is there such a feature on the Sub 37? To NOT accidentally change it without noticing?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:06 pm

There is no 440 reference on the Sub37 and no way to turn off the fine tune knob. The fine tune knob doubles as a parameter knob in some edit functions, but will always revert to fine tune when not in edit mode.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed May 06, 2015 5:11 pm

dwetmaster wrote:...is there a quick way to bring back the pitch to "440Hz"?
There is no center detent on the pot so I'm never certain that it's back to 440 just by looking at it.
Hi dwetmaster,

Although there is no parameter to disable the FINE TUNE knob, it's not right next to a busy VALUE knob like it is in the Little Phatty.
So, hopefully, you'll be less likely to inadvertently move it.

It's probably worth it to at least learn where your FINE TUNE knob needs to be for 440Hz.
Let the Sub 37 warm up a little and then use an external tuner to get it exactly in tune.
Be sure to use an INIT PRESET (MW all the way down) so that you know you're only using one OSC with no modulation.

If the FINE TUNE knob is perfectly straight up, then great! It'll be easy to remember.
If it's off to one side or the other, you can use a small sliver of colored electrical tape to show exactly where to point it.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:34 pm

That's a good tip :)