Moog Sub 37 No MIDI in or out

Everything Sub.
soulsun69

Moog Sub 37 No MIDI in or out

Post by soulsun69 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi,

I sincerely apologize if I'm asking a redundant question here. Unfortunately, this forum doesn't allow you to search for anything using "common" words, so my searches resulted in all the words being ignored "MIDI" "Issues" "In", "Out", "Problems", etc. Not exactly sure how one is expected to find anything given these constraints, but enough with the rant that's not why I'm here.

I can't seem to get MIDI messages in or out of my SUB 37. I have the MIDI In and Out Channels set to 1 on the Sub 37 (also tried other channels), have the ports set to Both (tried DIN as well). On my other devices I have tried setting my MIDI In and Out channels to 1 and ALL to no avail. Have tried multiple MIDI cable that work on other devices, so that's not the issue. I just got this synth today so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm overlooking something here, but then it may be a hardware issue for all I know.

Also on a side note I updated the Firmware to 1.07 earlier today with no issues.

Would appreciate any insights, because this synth is bad ass and would hate to have to send it in for service already. Thanks

seanpark

Re: Moog Sub 37 No MIDI in or out

Post by seanpark » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:10 am

Do you have any kind of MIDI analyzer? There's probably something for computers. I have a Kenton Pro Solo that can boot in analyzer mode. This helped me resolve some issues that were downstream from my 37.

Also check your Out Filters. By default they should be set to a "working" setting but it's worth checking.

evileye

Post by evileye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:40 pm

It might help to tell us what kind of MIDI messages you are trying to send/receive and what devices you are trying to communicate with. When MIDI data is received by the Sub37 a red light comes on. Do you see that?

Make sure the reason you aren't hearing the Sub37 isn't because of some audio issue or a sound parameter. The most obvious one would be volume too low. Filter cutoff, oscillator mutes, oscillator volume, VCAs and other can also play a role. Focus on either sending or receiving data instead of trying to fix both at the same time.

If you have other MIDI devices, connect it to that same cable/port. Does the other device work?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:48 pm

If you've successfully updated the firmware, then we know that MIDI over USB works. I'm assuming you mean the MIDI over 5 pin DIN does not? This is most likely a setting issue, assuming as well that you have MIDI out of the Sub37 going to MIDI in of your interface, etc. A little more info from you might help us out, exactly what is connected to what for starters.

*EDIT* I just tried searching the phrase "MIDI doesn't work" and got several hits including this topic.

soulsun69

Post by soulsun69 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Issue is resolved, don't know how or why.

For additional clarity, I was simply trying to play midi notes on a Novation Supernova II rack unit and a DSI Evolver desktop unit. Both of these units were set to receive MIDI on Channel 1 which was the send channel on the Sub 37. I also tried sending MIDI data from the arpeggiators of both units to the Sub 37 but MIDI light was not lighting and Sub 37 wasn't making any sounds, which is to be expected given MIDI light wasn't coming on. USB obviously worked because I was able to update firmware as was mentioned.

I eventually tried using another controller I had laying around as part of my problem solving and both units worked fine. Here's where it get strange, once I plugged the MIDI cable back into the Sub 37 it started working. Didn't make any changes or adjust anything on any unit. Just plugged MIDI cable back in.

I know this is going to come up but the MIDI out port of Sub37 was definitely going to MIDI in ports of my devices and cables were seated properly, this was the very first thing I checked.

Problem solved, mystery remains.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:42 pm

At least it's working :D now onward with the music!