S37 - Ladder Filter Collapsing!

Everything Sub.
Tyler

S37 - Ladder Filter Collapsing!

Post by Tyler » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:24 am

Okay, this is a sad day! Rapidly approaching the end of the 6 mth. warranty date... I've just discovered that the Ladder Filter is crapping out on my "New" Sub 37 in and around the 320 - 1.2 Hz range. Mainly, at about the 500 Hz mark (but the problem seems to move from point to point within the parameter range described above). It's as if the filter is being affected by some other aspect of the synth but unfortunately this phenomenon is inherent over every one of the preset settings as well. When the filter knob moves over the 500 Hz mark it just simply starts to collapse and warbles or skips around to a different frequency, even to the point where there's no sound at all. It only occurs within the rage I've described and effectively diminishes the power or function of the filter. I hope this isn't starting to sound too emotional, but it's like driving a new Lamborghini with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere! Anyone else having this problem? Please, tell me it's a software issue?!? I live a million miles away from Asheville, NC and am right in the middle of a paid recording project. This couldn't happen at a more crucial time.

MoogProg

Re: S37 - Ladder Filter Collapsing!

Post by MoogProg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:42 am

Tyler wrote:When the filter knob moves over the 500 Hz mark it just simply starts to collapse and warbles or skips around to a different frequency, even to the point where there's no sound at all.
Happened to me on Wednesday night. Of course, I am concerned. Been so busy I have not had time to investigate this further.

I do live in Asheville, so if it persists I'll probably head downtown and see if I can make it happen in 3D.

Update 5pm: Filter knob functions perfectly right now, with zero signs of any issue. One thought I had was that the glitch may have come from the EP-3 pedal plugged into the Filter CV Input, but again, I have no symptoms and so nothing to test or demonstrate. Happened once, for a second and was gone...

lutlei

Post by lutlei » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Sounds like the problem I described in this post

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?t=22910

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:04 pm

MoogProg wrote: Happened to me on Wednesday night. Of course, I am concerned. Been so busy I have not had time to investigate this further.
Hey thanks for the support! I'm envious of your proximity to the Moog Factory. I've had a couple minor issues so far with this synth but all of them have been easily rectified - mainly user error. This however, really is deflating since one of the great powers of this and other Moogs is the ladder filter. I've continued to trouble shoot today but with no resolve. I dropped a line to tech support at Moog (not that they need to be bugged on ever front). I'd like to know if it might possibly be a software issue. I'll wait to hear back... before I start boxing it up. I really don't want to have to do this though. I live in the Northwest Territories, Canada. Don't ask! It's been home now for the past 25 years up here in the Sub Arctic. I wouldn't even have a this synth if we hadn't just got electricity a year ago... (just kidding). No really, shipping time and cost is prohibitive enough just crossing the border.

seanpark

Post by seanpark » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Moog's warranty is 1 year from date of purchase so don't sweat the 6 month mark.

What firmware version are you running? You can check it at the bottom of the global menu. Current version is 1.0.7.

SonicVI

Post by SonicVI » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:03 pm

You've got a bad filter cutoff pot. It's happened to many Sub37 owners, including myself, but fear not, Moog will repair it for you. Give Andy Hughes a call or email.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:44 pm

SonicVI wrote:You've got a bad filter cutoff pot.
Thanks for the reply. Nice to know I'm not alone! I've contacted Andy and am just awaiting his response. "Good thing I kept the packaging"!

Asymetrical

Post by Asymetrical » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Just got my Sub37 ATA road case!

Anyone got shipping suggestions?

I'm near Sacramento CA and Asheville is a long way away.

I'm filting with the idea of flying it to Asheville myself, checking out the factory and music scene, and flying home with baby 100% (I hope)

Anyway your not alone! my Filter knob is almost completely detached :(

I hope maybe just maybe I can get a black metal back casing! Darth Vader Sub37 with red LED's!!! I'm dreaming now......

Toom

Post by Toom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:55 pm

Same issue here! Due to so many costly reasons, I couldn't ship it to get it fixed so I fixed it myself with a pot Andy sent me. Works great now!

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:08 am

Asymetrical wrote:I'm filting with the idea of flying it to Asheville myself, checking out the factory and music scene, and flying home with baby 100%
This is a good plan! Moog Inc., is pretty much downtown, so if someone stayed in Asheville they could very easily walk to the factory. I live out in the surrounding country, close to the Tennessee border.

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:17 am

Yes it's been a problem for a lot of users including me. I spoke with Andy from Moog and he said they have now re-visited the entire circuit board for that part to be replaced with a new one which he is sure will eliminate the problem for good. Given that it's a problem they're aware of, I can't imagine them not taking care of it for you, their customer support is very good.

6 months seems like a very short warranty, where did you purchase from?

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:01 am

Asymmetrical wrote:I'm filting with the idea of flying it to Asheville myself, checking out the factory and music scene, and flying home with baby 100% (I hope)
That sounds like a great plan! Just give Moog a call up before you make any final arrangements to be sure they can accommodate your repair when you're in town.

pedrofloyd

Post by pedrofloyd » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Dapifer wrote:Yes it's been a problem for a lot of users including me. I spoke with Andy from Moog and he said they have now re-visited the entire circuit board for that part to be replaced with a new one which he is sure will eliminate the problem for good. Given that it's a problem they're aware of, I can't imagine them not taking care of it for you, their customer support is very good.

6 months seems like a very short warranty, where did you purchase from?
Hey, this mean that potentially all S37 sent till now could be affected by the problem.
I'm very worry about that!
If there is a defect on the circuit I think that it should be corrected on all the synths. This should be a must for a serious company like MOOG.
Greetings from Italy.
Hi,
here are some infos:
notebooks: thoshiba and Dell both dual core
Audio interface: Echo firewire

OS (inc. 32/64 bit), DAWs, moog equipment and audio interfaces used in your setup.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:19 pm

seanpark wrote:Moog's warranty is 1 year from date of purchase so don't sweat the 6 month mark. What firmware version are you running? You can check it at the bottom of the global menu. Current version is 1.0.7.
Thanks, "seanpark". I guess it's better that this happened sooner rather than ladder. Anyway, I'm running the latest firmware as advised, and I guess this was my hope that if Ladder Filter collapse was software related... and that it could be rectified in the next firmware update. But my gutt feeling was (as others are indicating) this problem is a hardware thing. Ouch!

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:56 pm

I expect a Sub 37 (fresh from the factory) arriving at my local store the upcoming week. Do these units also have this flaw? Should I rather wait for the next batch/shipment 4-5 weeks from now? Even if the filter cutoff knob doesn't break during the first few months, this hardware defect could pop up at any time after the warranty period... :(