Sub37 Expression pedal MIDI output

Everything Sub.
stewdio

Sub37 Expression pedal MIDI output

Post by stewdio » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:56 am

Just curious if I'm missing something - my Sub37 works great with my EP3 but I can't get any DAW (Logic or Pro Tools) to record the expression pedal movements as MIDI. Is that normal? All of the panel moves I make are recorded and played back correctly (including if I move the filter cutoff by hand, just not when I move it by expression pedal)

Is there a setting that I can't find?
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

Amos

Re: Sub37 Expression pedal MIDI output

Post by Amos » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:37 am

that's normal. The filter input jack isn't even scanned digitally (which would be needed in order to output a changing MIDI value); it's just an analog input directly to the filter cutoff. So you are wiggling a voltage and you can hear the result but it's nothing you can output as MIDI in that case.

In the case of the other CV input jacks on the Sub 37, the default is not to output MIDI but they will in the next firmware update if you map the CV inputs to control parameters which have a CC number (the MIDI output will be just like turning the corresponding knob, in that case). That will result in MIDI from expression-pedal movements.

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Amos wrote:that's normal. The filter input jack isn't even scanned digitally (which would be needed in order to output a changing MIDI value); it's just an analog input directly to the filter cutoff. So you are wiggling a voltage and you can hear the result but it's nothing you can output as MIDI in that case.

In the case of the other CV input jacks on the Sub 37, the default is not to output MIDI but they will in the next firmware update if you map the CV inputs to control parameters which have a CC number (the MIDI output will be just like turning the corresponding knob, in that case). That will result in MIDI from expression-pedal movements.

super good - thanks Amos!
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

Rene K

Post by Rene K » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:31 pm

Amos wrote: In the case of the other CV input jacks on the Sub 37, the default is not to output MIDI but they will in the next firmware update if you map the CV inputs to control parameters which have a CC number (the MIDI output will be just like turning the corresponding knob, in that case). That will result in MIDI from expression-pedal movements.
Wow great 8-)
i'm a hardcore Expression pedal user. i use one Moog pedal, but a Boss VF500L ist possible too. it's a little bit smoother.