Sub37 Preset Best Practices

Everything Sub.
jeffsebring

Sub37 Preset Best Practices

Post by jeffsebring » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm interested in learning how some of you who are more organized that I are managing your presets. Also, what is your method of initiating a new patch which originated from an existing one?

With all the ways we can operate it, using our own presets, DAW device panels, automation, and of course the physical controls, I think it will take a fair amount of discipline to get the most out of the Sub37.
Minitaur -> Sub 37

MoogProg

Re: Sub37 Preset Best Practices

Post by MoogProg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Great thread idea! I hope this topic persists with active updates and ideas from us all. I'll certainly try, but I'm also still working out what works for me, and there are so many different ways to use the Sub37

Creating a New Preset:
Too often, I start with an INIT Preset, and make immediate changes to one or both MODs, zeroing out the Mod Wheel and/or Aftertouch. Best practice, create one or more template presets with everything just where I like it.

PRESET VOLUME is one place I have not yet mastered. Presets vary in volume significantly, but maybe I just am shy about using really-low preset volumes for my really-loud sounds. Open to ideas.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:55 pm

As above, I have begun to populate the empty preset slots from BANK16 backwards from the end (no.16) with starting point presets to suit particular needs.

So far I have one for routing another synth in through the 37's Audio Input, one for Drums being sent into the Audio Input, one for Step-Sequencing, Arpeggiations, and various ones for the most typical modulations I use.

It definitely aids the workflow when inspiration strikes to have some standard "template" presets ready with those settings and changes already made (especially those that require some menu-diving).

Following DemonDan's great tip about setting CTRL AMT4 to 70% so that the MOD Bus's have a much smaller range allowing for much finer adjustments to be made I have created a preset with this already prepared.

Likewise, I would love to hear what others are finding usefull. :wink:

jeffsebring

Post by jeffsebring » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:16 pm

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. I also hope this thread becomes a good resource.

Not exactly on topic, but something I have done is turned off the midi send for the panel, and program change. This is useful when controlling my Minitaur with the Sub 37 midi.
Minitaur -> Sub 37

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:15 am

I fill up banks starting from bank 16 backwards... each bank holds patches of a certain type (leads, basses, seq, arps, drone, etc), patch 16 and 15 are starting patches for a bank (for example, saw bass and pwm bass). Bank 10 is a scratch pad bank that holds all sorts of different uncategorized patches.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:25 pm

mmh,

I, full of sheer joy, filled the first init preset I found free bottom up... Surely not the wisest way to do it. Don't know if I saved bass, drone, lead or fx, only what I achieved and what was pleasing just then. Suddenly a sequence, then an amazing noise of an entire steaming production line, then a bi-propeller at 20.000ft, then the lead sound from Shine On Your Crazy Diamond pt. I, then...

That's surely because I only play alone and only truely fuss around. I don't have to be organised to gig with other musicians.

Greg

deanross

Post by deanross » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:15 pm

I only save the patches in a bank that I'll be gigging with, to make it easier to switch between those sounds. Otherwise if I arrange by type i.e. Leads, FX etc then I have a preconceived idea of what I'm going to use that sound for and how I'm going to play it, which I find limits me because of the (predictable) way I'd normally use it. On the other hand if I'm looking for inspiration and hit upon a random patch I've created, then I'm much more likely to surprise myself and think and play outside my comfort zone.
DKR