sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Everything Sub.
Omaroo

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by Omaroo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Agreed m10k, wholeheartedly. :) I certainly didn't intend to start arguments over this. I understand their position better than most - my company is very small too (three people), and we develop highly depended-on advertising workflow software for major international newspaper and magazine publishers. I know all about delivery and deployment scheduling when you're sitting there sweating to get it out on time. There are many, many other dependancies that need to be positioned and in place for the big day, so failure to deploy on the promised day is a company-ending problem for us. A day missed by a newspaper group due is potentially millions gone in lost revenue. Gulp -pressure. A month missed by a music company is hardly the same.

This is a different kettle of fish, I know. My music business is off to the side of my main vocation, but still, it's business for me. I did sell a project to a client which was somewhat based on the new sequencer features promised here, but I'm getting around it by using a Doepfer Dark Time instead. Would have been nice though.. :)

The Blofeld? Great little wave synth, but horrible, horrible company to deal with in my experience - unless you're living in Germany. Living in the antipodes is a nightmare if you have to deal with them from here in Australia - even though they have a small level of local representation. Waldorf were going through all sorts of internal struggles for a long time and simply refused to support their customers throughout it. I had hardware issues and was completely ignored. I was going to buy one of their new Pulse 2 units, but reconsidered. Their designs are excellent - very Germanic, and because I was drawn into synthetic music creation by the likes of Klaus Schulze et. al, their machines are ideally suited to old school electronica. The Blofeld is a great little box sonically (I have the non-keyboard standalone desktop version) but it's the complete antithesis of the Sub 37 in terms of playability in real time. There are 7.7 quadrillion menu levels to get through and remember to change deeper parameters. I may be exaggerating a little, but you get my drift. The interface is complex, and though easy enough to navigate when you have the time, would be difficult if you're on stage.

Thanks for your candor - I appreciate it, as does everyone.
Last edited by Omaroo on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

m10k

Post by m10k » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and giving me a little insight into the Blofeld! I definitely don't intend on using it live. It will be more for sound design and drum synthesis in the studio. I'm no stranger to menu diving either...been using/buying gear since the late 80's/early 90's. It looks relatively intuitive based on the videos I've watched.

When buying instruments I don't typically factor in dealing with customer service, although I probably should. :oops:
That said, if I read reviews and it's one person after another telling horror stories of dealing with customer service then I steer clear! That leads me to believe that there's probably some inherent flaw in a particular product or series of products. I know there were some issues with the Blofeld but they seem to be resolved with the latest update. At least that's what I've read?

I'm really just looking for a piece of hardware on the cheap that can make gritty, "other worldly" sounds. And drum sounds as stated previously. I know this stuff can be done with software VSTs, but I just can't get into them. I've been trying for years...I need that hands on approach. Even with a midi controller, it's just not the same.

Thanks again! :D

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm

The latest updates solved a few issues for most. Mine was a hardware issue, and it's a common one. The output levels are so low as to be, on occasion, useless. This is true on both line out levels and headphone. There is a small surface mount resistor that requires replacing on the logic board, but this is where Google helped me and Waldorf didn't. It was a big problem with the synth in general. Some work, others don't very well. I think that if you can try before you buy, then all good. That's hard todo via eBay...
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:34 am

I have blo keys and i do use it live. I have my sounds saved as presets for mainly pad type sounds and lead sounds that don't require tweaking. The interface is based on a matrix system which i find OK. Not the most intuitive but it works fine. There are a few issues that i have encountered, volume pot sometimes doesn't work and changing presets using the panel controls sometimes freezes the synth requiring a reboot. I have also knocked one of the encoders and its now a bit wobbly but still works fine. Overall build seems reasonable with the metal case being a really heavy gauge steel. Key action is pleasant too. Very playable.
i got it because i wanted to add wavetable synthesis to my arsenal. I don't regret it either, its deep
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

m10k

Post by m10k » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:00 am

Omaroo wrote:The latest updates solved a few issues for most. Mine was a hardware issue, and it's a common one. The output levels are so low as to be, on occasion, useless. This is true on both line out levels and headphone. There is a small surface mount resistor that requires replacing on the logic board, but this is where Google helped me and Waldorf didn't. It was a big problem with the synth in general. Some work, others don't very well. I think that if you can try before you buy, then all good. That's hard todo via eBay...
Ahh...see, this exactly the type of information I'm looking for. I haven't seen anything about this issue while researching the Blofeld. Looks like I need to investigate this a little bit further. Thanks, Omaroo!

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:30 pm

Omaroo wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:
Moog, nor Amos never promised anything. Amos merely said he'd hoped to have it wrapped up a weeks after NAMM.

You may not wish to be seen as a bad guy, but you essentially are because you're making statements that simply are not true. Moog never promised this update would be out on any given date.
Hey! I'm as keen as the next guy here, and as I said, I love the product (or I wouldn't invest in it) and the company, but I don't like promissory statements that aren't delivered on. I don't wish to be accused of making things up, so I beg to differ. Here are some videos announcing the feature on YouTube.

The exact words @ 14:25 were - "some time in February, this will be available to the public" (key words - "will be available" and "in February") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwSMW08BNA

Again @7:55 - "Available some time in February": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZg2XJw7484

Yet again @7:05 - "Some time in February": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2aHwao3yk

These are public announcements, so sorry if your interpretation isn't the same, but three of them in a row constitutes somewhat of a promise, would't you say? Yes, I would.
actually at 14:14, the exact words were "available, probably in February ... have to put in the finishing touches"

"should be available as a free download sometime in February"

and finally...

"you'll get an email ... probably sometime in February"

So no, I apologize but I don't see what you're seeing in a promised date in February. Rather, I see a hoping it gets wrapped up at some point in February, which obviously hasn't been the case.

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:22 pm

I reported a bug to Amos a few months back whereby a manually entered tap tempo in the arpeggiator would not get saved to a patch. Anyone know if this bug is addressed in the 1.1. release?

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:55 pm

I can understand if someone were upset because there was a major bug in the current version that made it unreliable or unusable, but I can not understand being upset about waiting for a free major enhancement of features and easier use of controls.

Whenever it is released, I really appreciate all the brilliant firmware design work Amos has done at Moog over the years and I think it is really great that he is so active in implementing user requests.

Even as originally released with the original firmware the Sub 37 is a magnificent Masterpiece and it will become a new legend for Moog. If there were never another update issued, I would love it just as it is. Thank you Amos and all the others at Moog who absolutely ROCK!

Amos at Moogfest 2010. Shows you what a brilliant visionary he is and the Sub 37 is the realization of that vision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGdLbMCYp5k
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

seanpark

Post by seanpark » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:31 pm

What a cool talk. I will not miss another Moogfest.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:45 pm

seanpark wrote:What a cool talk. I will not miss another Moogfest.
I was so impressed by what he said, I realized they could not have a better person for the job.
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks, to everyone sticking up for me here :) and my personal apology to everyone who is upset that we didn't deliver the new update in the stated time. I will try to be much more careful with such estimates in the future.

There really is a point before which it's impossible to make an accurate prediction of when something will be finished, and unfortunately NAMM came before that point, with respect to Sub 37 v1.1.

In any case it's done now and will be out ASAP. The new manual is being released to the printer's today, we're testing v1.1.0 on the production line now. I cannot say exactly when registered users will get an email with the official announcement, so I won't make that prediction. ;) It is imminent, though.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:40 am

mrberger wrote:I reported a bug to Amos a few months back whereby a manually entered tap tempo in the arpeggiator would not get saved to a patch. Anyone know if this bug is addressed in the 1.1. release?
<facepalm.jpg>

I don't think I got to this, to my chagrin. There have been so many things. I'm making certain it's logged in the proper place for follow-up ASAP. thanks again.

RafaSalvador

Post by RafaSalvador » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Amos wrote:Thanks, to everyone sticking up for me here :) and my personal apology to everyone who is upset that we didn't deliver the new update in the stated time. I will try to be much more careful with such estimates in the future.

There really is a point before which it's impossible to make an accurate prediction of when something will be finished, and unfortunately NAMM came before that point, with respect to Sub 37 v1.1.

In any case it's done now and will be out ASAP. The new manual is being released to the printer's today, we're testing v1.1.0 on the production line now. I cannot say exactly when registered users will get an email with the official announcement, so I won't make that prediction. ;) It is imminent, though.

Thank you, Amos!

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Amos wrote:
mrberger wrote:I reported a bug to Amos a few months back whereby a manually entered tap tempo in the arpeggiator would not get saved to a patch. Anyone know if this bug is addressed in the 1.1. release?
<facepalm.jpg>

I don't think I got to this, to my chagrin. There have been so many things. I'm making certain it's logged in the proper place for follow-up ASAP. thanks again.
Hi Amos, thanks for the update. And here's hoping it makes it into V1.1.1.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi Amos,

Will it be possible to order printed updated manual from the website?

Thank you so much for all the effort and dedication you put in this, that is quite unique and must be said and said again.

All the very best,

Greg