sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Everything Sub.
evileye
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by evileye » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:48 am

It would probably be wise to have both a SysEx and app based update if at all possible. This would alleviate any complaints about OS support or software bugs that might accompany the new update app.

Personally I've had no issues with the current update model but I'd hate to think that myself or others would miss out on all the great features of the forthcoming update just because the update app doesn't work with their OS.

User avatar
Omaroo
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by Omaroo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 pm

C'mon Amos - a timeline update, please!
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

lushr
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by lushr » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:02 am

It'll come when it's ready and not before. As it should be. I don't want to brick my nicest synth!
___________________________________________________
LP Stage II, LE Sub37

Sihaz
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 4:54 am

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by Sihaz » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:43 am

lushr wrote:It'll come when it's ready and not before. As it should be. I don't want to brick my nicest synth!

Wise words lushr

Dapifer
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Northern Ireland/Leeds, U.K

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by Dapifer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:21 am

Amos sent me the beta last week. I guess they're just getting that all polished off before release. It's a lot of fun though and will be well worth the wait.
Last edited by Dapifer on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GregVDS
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 am

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by GregVDS » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:34 am

Hi,

as a late and very new beta tester for the v1.1, I refrained a few times to comment and express myself around it/its release time/its lot of new features/bugs and so on, for I think there is a kind of agreement between Moog and any beta tester to do so. We test, we report and comment to Moog only(mainly, and me only, to Amos), and Moog does what it wants to do with it (I think Amos does his utmost to correct and fix everything, takes note of the suggestions, sometimes tries his best to implement directly what seems to be the most interesting/useful ideas and so on). As I think it's really a one (amazing) man job, I specially respect it, and the time that passes, I know is a time well spent towards the best firmware update possible. I don't try here to tease anyone about the v1.1, just to temper the best I can the heat that quite understandably can build up around this release. v1.1 is already amazing, will be even better than the last week last release candidate, will come with a simpler uploading installer for MS Windows and Apple OS X.

So please, if you are waiting possibly for a long time now for this firmware and maybe need it for good pre reason, I urge you to keep calm and carry on, the wait will be worth it a thousand times.

That's it, I won't make other comments around this, I hope everyone understand I do this with the best intentions in mind for us users aswell as for Moog, which truely offers us an amazing support and user/client experience, even not speaking about the instruments and that incredible Sub37.

All the best to all,

Greg

User avatar
Omaroo
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by Omaroo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:26 am

lushr wrote:It'll come when it's ready and not before. As it should be. I don't want to brick my nicest synth!


What you need to remember, is that this is not a hobby to some people, including Moog. It is a business, with paying customers who wish to be kept up to date - without being subjected to the silent treatment for weeks on end after the expected date has well and truly passed. If the business makes a time-based promise to its customers it's in the business's interest to keep it or provide periodic updates that aren't (literally) weeks apart. I have the utmost respect for Amos, Moog and its employees, but it's not fair to their customer base if updates, or lack of, are not released on time after building people up with an expected delivery date. It's smarter and better to say nothing up front until it's ready, and then announce it to the world. I do not wish to be seen as the bad guy here because I dare to complain. I'm in this for the long haul and expect promises to be kept. As an enterprise software designer, I suppose that I am against "leaking" new features to the customer base before I know that they are deliverable.
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

ChiLam
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by ChiLam » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:45 am

To be fair - I don't remember a "promise" ever being made regarding the release date. I believe that it was intended to be ready rather than promised to be available for a set date. I can assure you that those working on the update are doing their utmost to have it ready ASAP - poor fella's been working weekends and holidays. You must understand that it is impossible to forsee what difficulties may lie ahead when developing a firmware with so many new features.

To have purchased an item for serious work based upon it having ceratin features that have not yet been finalised is a huge risk to take if that work is time critical. I feel for you that you find yourself compromised and I understand the frustration of things not happening when you had expected but it cannot be blamed in any way on Moog IMO. It certainly wasn't the intetion to be behind schedule but alas unaviodable.

Which features particulalry are you needing to complete your project?
Last edited by ChiLam on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toine
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by Toine » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:47 am

Omaroo wrote:
lushr wrote:It'll come when it's ready and not before. As it should be. I don't want to brick my nicest synth!


What you need to remember, is that this is not a hobby to some people, including Moog. It is a business, with paying customers who wish to be kept up to date - without being subjected to the silent treatment for weeks on end after the expected date has well and truly passed. If the business makes a time-based promise to its customers it's in the business's interest to keep it or provide periodic updates that aren't (literally) weeks apart. I have the utmost respect for Amos, Moog and its employees, but it's not fair to their customer base if updates, or lack of, are not released on time after building people up with an expected delivery date. It's smarter and better to say nothing up front until it's ready, and then announce it to the world. I do not wish to be seen as the bad guy here because I dare to complain. I'm in this for the long haul and expect promises to be kept. As an enterprise software designer, I suppose that I am against "leaking" new features to the customer base before I know that they are deliverable.


Because it is a business, Moog should wait as long as it takes to provide a flawlessly working update!
It is not uncommon that an update is released later because of unexpected delay. It is a actually a project and every project can have delays which bypass the initial release date. With all due respect, it's your choice to start a project which relies on software/firmware that is not available yet so you knew and probably calculated that there could be a risk that the update was not available in time.. I don't think it's fair to complain about this to Moog.
I own Nord, Yamaha, Korg, Roland and Hammond stuff and none of these companies communicate as much and directly to the customers as Moog does..

ImNotDedYet
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by ImNotDedYet » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Omaroo wrote:
lushr wrote:It'll come when it's ready and not before. As it should be. I don't want to brick my nicest synth!


What you need to remember, is that this is not a hobby to some people, including Moog. It is a business, with paying customers who wish to be kept up to date - without being subjected to the silent treatment for weeks on end after the expected date has well and truly passed. If the business makes a time-based promise to its customers it's in the business's interest to keep it or provide periodic updates that aren't (literally) weeks apart. I have the utmost respect for Amos, Moog and its employees, but it's not fair to their customer base if updates, or lack of, are not released on time after building people up with an expected delivery date. It's smarter and better to say nothing up front until it's ready, and then announce it to the world. I do not wish to be seen as the bad guy here because I dare to complain. I'm in this for the long haul and expect promises to be kept. As an enterprise software designer, I suppose that I am against "leaking" new features to the customer base before I know that they are deliverable.


Moog, nor Amos never promised anything. Amos merely said he'd hoped to have it wrapped up a weeks after NAMM.

As an enterprise software designer, you of all people should know better than to plan on completion of projects based on upcoming software updates.

The last update I can recall seeing was Amos mentioning that they decided to include an easier update mechanism which was now causing additional delay. If the status hasn't updated, I see no reason why Amos, nor Moog should have to come in and give a status update on regular intervals with no status changes. It's not like Moog is doing Agile development with daily standups with all of its customers.

You may not wish to be seen as a bad guy, but you essentially are because you're making statements that simply are not true. Moog never promised this update would be out on any given date.

ununseptium
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by ununseptium » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Oh dear, my heart sank when I read that a new piece of software for delivering the update is being written. I just hope that it's written to be compatible with older Operating Systems. :(
Please keep a sysex version for us computer dinosaurs.

User avatar
Omaroo
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by Omaroo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:29 pm

ImNotDedYet wrote:
Moog, nor Amos never promised anything. Amos merely said he'd hoped to have it wrapped up a weeks after NAMM.

You may not wish to be seen as a bad guy, but you essentially are because you're making statements that simply are not true. Moog never promised this update would be out on any given date.


Hey! I'm as keen as the next guy here, and as I said, I love the product (or I wouldn't invest in it) and the company, but I don't like promissory statements that aren't delivered on. I don't wish to be accused of making things up, so I beg to differ. Here are some videos announcing the feature on YouTube.

The exact words @ 14:25 were - "some time in February, this will be available to the public" (key words - "will be available" and "in February") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwSMW08BNA

Again @7:55 - "Available some time in February": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZg2XJw7484

Yet again @7:05 - "Some time in February": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2aHwao3yk

These are public announcements, so sorry if your interpretation isn't the same, but three of them in a row constitutes somewhat of a promise, would't you say? Yes, I would.
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

m10k
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 am

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by m10k » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Good lord, let it go Omaroo. It will be ready when it's ready. I'd prefer that they get it stable before releasing it into the wild. And honestly, if you're not able to get amazing things done on the Sub 37 NOW without the new firmware update, then you're not doing it right. :wink:

User avatar
Omaroo
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by Omaroo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:56 pm

To complain is an obvious character flaw, and in mind of that, I sincerely apologise for having an issue with being kept in the dark. Got it.

Moog, respectfully, simply fix the problem by keeping those you've revved up over the past few months with promissory statements on what's happening from time to time.
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

m10k
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:02 am

Re: sub37 version 1.1 release date?

Post by m10k » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Omaroo, I understand where you're coming from. Just look at it from Amo's side though...he's one guy trying to do many things, and I'm sure he's overworked and underpaid. Having customers hound him about this doesn't make him work on it any faster and probably becomes somewhat stressful. Moog is an incredibly small company and perhaps sometimes they bite off a bit more than they can chew...BUT they really try to provide great products and customer service. Having visited the factory, I'm honestly surprised they get as much done as they do with such a small work force.

Be patient, brother. :D

Sub 37 aside, I've been looking at getting a Waldorf Blofeld recently. I noticed you have one listed in your signature. How do you like it? Worth the small investment?

Post Reply