Sub 37 to send midi clock to all my other gear

Everything Sub.
ChiLam

Re: Sub 37 to send midi clock to all my other gear

Post by ChiLam » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:50 am

I hear you on the cables and essential accessories, little stingers, lol!

My focus at the moment has been mainly logistic rather than musical tbh, just integrating the 37 and a Minibrute into my little setup. Before those two came along I was mostly ITB apart from an MPC. The last year or so I have made moves to expand away from the computer towards a more "live jamming, hands on" approach. The PC has become pretty much a recorder. So its been new interface, synths and a couple other bits and bobs keeping me constantly busy what with connecting them up and making templates which can support this workflow.

The last couple of hours at the end of each day when the kiddies are asleep I might get a chance to mess around a bit. Get a little drum sequence and some synth lines going - play a little piano over the top. Its more just getting to grips with how these new bits work and what they can do though ATM.

My taste runs the gamut from Jazz to Techno via Dub, Disco, Electronica, Funk, Soul and Reggae so anything goes - I prefer to just start jamming from scratch in a more experimental way and see what comes out. I never seem to approach music making in a conventional planned bar chorus and verse way, i'm certainly not proffesional. How about you?

Have you heard any demos of the Roland JD-XA yet? I have only seen what it looks like so far.

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 am

Im told the xa does sound good, but that was a prototype so who knows.

Yeah I'm just forcing myself to turn things on and just make noise, sometimes it's really enjoyable and I learn something, mostly I find a new problem and try and fail tackling it.

I'm staying away from the daw completely for now. But with my new set up I will have to create a new template with named tracks and experiment... And probably discover latency issues or crackles from bad cables... I'm avoiding it! :oops:

I'm really trying to get to know the gear I've accumulated, some of it I know really well, but for example I don't know how my poly 61 sounds with the sub 37 or microbrute... What are the limitations and strengths of each, what kinds of patches do I want for each different synth. That kind of hurts my head to think about.

So I might just stick with jamming and saving sounds as I go.

I'm into "I don't play keys very well" indie electronic. And some real avant garde electronic too. I do love to write songs but that's usually guitar, on keys I like to just see what happens! I'm definitely getting the hang of basic synthesis. Might even start to master LFO next! We will see! Gotta keep it fun right?

Usually I'm so tired I get to play my synths about 4 times a year, and the other weekends are sleeping or chasing gear.. God I wish I worked part time.

Hafhaf

Post by Hafhaf » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:29 am

I also just want to send clock from my sub 37 to tempo sync volca beats to the 37. That's all. It works when ARP is on. But not when ARP is off. I am an old school dude. Do I need to explore the 37s midi parameters or the volca.

I can sync the Delay Timeof my tc electronic m350 to the ARP SPEED without any menu digging. BTW.
I'll be getting a used Microkorg too and will want to sync tempo of that too all the gear.

Ann help welcome. Thank you.
:D H

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:15 am

lushr wrote:Im told the xa does sound good, but that was a prototype so who knows.
Yeah, i'm interested to hear what it can do. Wasn't too struck by the little JD-Xi and I wish Roland would revise their "futuristic from an 80's perspective" aesthetic they seem to have adopted since the Aira stuff - just a personal taste thing though.
lushr wrote: mostly I find a new problem and try and fail tackling it.
Ha, yep, they say we learn alot from tackling problems - I should be a master by now then.
lushr wrote:I'm avoiding it! :oops:
Don't blame you - I went straight into the integration aspect and it has been a slow headscratching experience. Too much time akwardly reaching behind the "stupidly placed by me" interfaces trying to read the upside down labels get the right cables in the right holes only to realise that they were in the right places I just hadn't known to activate the channel or turn up the level in all the 3 different software utilities. :roll:
lushr wrote: What are the limitations and strengths of each, what kinds of patches do I want for each different synth. .
Seems like we both noticed how much the bass dissapears when adding resonance on the 37? I noticed the Minibrute doesn't have this behaviour on the filter - i'm going to try feeding the 37's output through the input of the Brute to see how she sounds with high resonance AND low frequencies present, maybe deep and squelchy is possible after all, hmmm!?

lushr wrote: Gotta keep it fun right?
Well said, luckily the 37 and Brute are nothing but. Never going back to all ITB that's for sure, precisely because of the fun factor.
lushr wrote: God I wish I worked part time.
I'm back at Uni and wishing I could work full time so I could afford the gear i'm lusting for. Your probably right though, time and energy would likely become scarce instead of cash. Always a price.. :wink:

What gear are you chasing now apart from maybe the XA?

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:47 am

"Futuristic from an 80s perspective" so true!

I think it's to do with the fact that Japan's hey day was in the eighties, they were the leaders in technology and the economy was at its peak.

I prefer "futuristic from a 50s/60s perspective" either the big chrome knobs, or the minimalism of space odyssey 2001.

My next piece of gear... Yep Nup, I'm prett happy, jd-xa and beatstep pro, those will fill big gaps.

In a dream world, I'd love the White arp odyssey, but I don't need it, same goes for the pretty coloured microbrutes. I'm avoiding modular with all my strength. But things like MS-20s or MonoPolys well, they're hard to resist.

It seems like synth heaven these days, I'm sure something else I MUST HAVE will appear at musikmesse. Like this behringer synth... Sounds interesting Midas... It's all about polyphonic analogue now and who can do it well. Frankly I think moog are the best at analogue.

I'd love to see more volcas come out though. CHIPTUNES volca, glitch volca, granular volca, ...triple tiered pipe organ volca?

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:54 pm

Great taste sir - 2001 is my favourite movie of all time! It still amazes me how no other scifi has come close to its magnificence.

I don't think I will be able to resist going modular for much longer - It just appeals on so many levels. New wonderful modules seem to be released on a daily basis and once you have the foundations in place i'd be able to satisy the GAS in relatively cheap way - so much flexibilty and all the pretty lights... :twisted:

Do you think the Behringer Midas will be a poly? Synth heaven = Savings hell.

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:45 pm

Synth heaven = savings hell.

Amen..

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:35 am

Hafhaf wrote:I also just want to send clock from my sub 37 to tempo sync volca beats to the 37. That's all. It works when ARP is on. But not when ARP is off. I am an old school dude. Do I need to explore the 37s midi parameters or the volca.

I can sync the Delay Timeof my tc electronic m350 to the ARP SPEED without any menu digging. BTW.
I'll be getting a used Microkorg too and will want to sync tempo of that too all the gear.

Ann help welcome. Thank you.
Totally missed this @hafhaf sorry!

It must be the arp that sends the trig? It should do the same with sequencing? I dunno....

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:20 am

Perhaps try cv gate out to volcas instead? But I suspect the sub 37 will only send clock when it's using it, maybe it's a menu setting? I've definitely read something about this myself.