Sub 37 to send midi clock to all my other gear

Everything Sub.
lushr

Sub 37 to send midi clock to all my other gear

Post by lushr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi guys,

I'm really not a midi expert, but I've finally decided to get everything synced up so that it all plays at the same tempo. I'm choosing midi for the most part to do this (not everything I own has cv gate)

Ok so... Right now if I send midi out to a few devices using chaining. They are all getting note information as well as clock. But really I only want to send clock.

Is there a setting to make this happen? Is there a special channel for sending clock?

My final ideal will be to make the (coming in April) Beatstep Pro my clock device, it will send midi clock out, din sync clock out and cv gate (and actual cv sequencing of one or two devices) to everything through a midi quadra (4way splitter) and maybe some stuff by midi usb through the iConnect.

But I figure I need to learn the basics now and using the sub 37 which I find pretty intuitive might be the best way to discover if I can just send clock to some things, not note messages etc...

Sorry long email to ask a simple thing.

Eg right now I'm experimenting with sending midi out to the volca beats and the microkorg. The volca feats no problem, it ignores note messages. But the microkorg doesn't...

Help :oops: :oops: :oops:

Marcie609

Re: Sub 37 to send midi clock to all my other gear

Post by Marcie609 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:34 am

Just change the midi channels on the gear you don't want to receive notes

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:58 am

But will they still recieve clock?

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:30 am

I've been reading the manuals for most of my gear and while I think I know how to change my microkorg to take only clock, the sub 37 manual isn't that specific.

If sending it midi from say the beatstep pro, how do I get it to only take the clock? Not the notes?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:16 am

I'm not a MIDI guru but I think the clock messages are not sent through a specific channel. Instead they are kind of global.
Anyone correct me.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:42 am

You are correct, the clock is not channel specific.

If you are connecting many MIDI devices you may want to consider getting a MIDI interface. I use a MOTU MIDI Express XT. It has 8 ports and you can route anything to anything. You can remap channels and apply MIDI filters as needed for each device.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIExpXTUSB

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks @baldeagle it's funny how much is assumed. I've read so much about midi today and manuals for gear and learnt next to nothing new because of assumed knowledge!

Looks like that interface is a step up from where I am mentally, at the moment my acceptance of midi into my life is a huge step which I have resisted for 16 years, all I want is to clock most things... Then sequencing something's is the next step...

IConnect is pretty handy at routing though for now, it manages up to 8usb devices and has another two din port sets.

It does most of the problem solving automatically which is nice.

Ok I'll play with channels and come up with a plan

Thanks HEAPS for the advice, I know it's not a pure sub 37 query.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:16 am

I recommend the Iconnectmidi4+ for this kind of stuff!

It is a fantstic central midi breakout box that does advanced routing, filtering, merging, transforming and can operate over USB, PC/MAC/iOS, DIN,Ethernet....standalone operation too. If your using multiple midi devices together and want full control over what gets sent where its a pretty neat solution. :wink:

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:26 am

Yeah I bought the original iconnect midi when I got sick of waiting for the 4 to come out. It has most of the same functionality, I figure I'll upgrade when I need to which might be a while yet. The advantage of the original is the price is significantly lower.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:36 pm

So how's it going with clocking everything from your 37?

Is it working well with good tight sync? :)

lushr

Post by lushr » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Haha , yeah, tight sync, but frankly I've got more gear that uses triggers, so Ive been playing the sub37 freehand while sequencing the trigger stuff. Just looking for the best ways around problems at the moment!

Once the beatstep pro comes that will change my life with din sync, cv and midi clocked all out of the one device! I don't even need it to be a sequencer!

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:25 am

Look forwards to hearing how the Beatstep Pro performs for you - using it as a master clocking device sounds interesting - like those 8 CV outs too!

I'm actually curious to see if Arturia come up with an analogue drum machine to pair with it. There has been rumours of something coming this Musikmesse, hmm! :wink:

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:48 am

Yeah I don't have a drum kit with separate outs, so no need yet. It's one of those things, if I find a need, great, I'll be able to sequence it!

As long as arturia do a better job than Akai, who are so bad they actually give me a good laugh. The 606 is my ideal, perfect sequencing, perfect sound, I just wish it were midi and had a bpm clock display! Lol.

Jammed with 606, sub37 and microbrute last night, comparing the little phatty and sub 37 tonight.

I'm definitely going to use the beatstep pro to sequence my little phatty, I can't wait to get into that!!

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:06 am

Lol, I'm guessing you won't be rushing to get that majestic poly, The Timbre Wolf, then?

Sounds like you have great jamming rig going there - I really want to expand mine in the coming years but boy this game is £££'s. :roll:

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 am

We both have years of frustration and $$$ spending ahead.

This last couple of weeks I've bitten the bullet and bought stuff that will make things connect. Spent a few hundred on cables alone. Splitters, joiners, blah, it never ever ends.

And then musikmesse comes in April and I have to replan everything, I'm thinking the new jd-xa from roland will become my poly go to.

Which might mean selling off some old gear. If I can part with it!

What's your music focus at the moment?