MiniMoog Voyager vs Sub 37 - sound quality

Everything Sub.
Mike37

MiniMoog Voyager vs Sub 37 - sound quality

Post by Mike37 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:36 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about ordering a Sub 37, and I was wondering what you people think about it's sound quality (oscillators and filters) vs. Voyager? (In other words, does the Sub 37 have its own sound character vs. the Sub Phatty?)
I had a Voyager some years ago, but sold it for practical reasons. It sounded amazing of course, but it lacked some of the aggressiveness of the original Model D. On the other hand, the Voyager has a very rich and "expensive" sound. :) Any comments/comparisons would be great!
Thanks. :)

Blackout

Re: MiniMoog Voyager vs Sub 37 - sound quality

Post by Blackout » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:05 am

i totally get what youre saying about Voyager losing some of its aggressiveness. the "failings" (as i would call it) of the Voyager's sound is most obvious here on this comparison video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cTZo0qUlK8

the Voyager just sounds less dangerous....less "i could blow up at any second when you let go of this key.."...more stable. More ..."safe".

well Moog have learnt a lot since the Voyager. i can proudly say the Sub37 has that same special something and danger in its sound that the Minimoog possesses. that special MAGIC is back!

it doesnt sound exactly like a Minimoog. but i think you are asking a different question. whether the modjo is back. well its back baby!

you will not be disappointed with the Sub37 :)

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:43 am

Blackout wrote:...the Sub37 has that same special something and danger in its sound...
^Sub37 stole the show last week with huge tone and strikingly handsome looks. It turns me into a Rock Star! 8)

Something about Dou Mode that gets me playing the Sub37 like it's an organ, with slurs and distortion and "feel" to the phrases, rather than the notey-runs and scales of my typical proggy Moog solo.

Mike37

Post by Mike37 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks for the comments and the youtube video link, I hadn't seen that one before. Wow, pretty big difference...

I went ahead and ordered a Sub 37 today. Everything I've read about it, seems like this is "the one". :) The local store told the Sub 37 is selling particularly well, so I'm sure Moog has their hands full meeting the demand. I tried the Little Phatty a couple of years ago, but it fell a bit flat for me - maybe I didn't spend enough time with it. On other hand, the Sub 37 looks great, and has a brilliant hands on interface. Youtube videos give me the impression that the Sub 37 is closer to the vintage Moog sound character, and that really made me exited! Being a fan of 70s bands like Return to Forever/Chick Corea, ELP, Gentle Giant, Atoll, Automatic Man etc., the Voyager's more subdued sound character didn't quite get me all the way there. I actually started to consider buying something like the Macbeth Micromac instead, but Moog is Moog... :) It seems like Moog is finally moving in the direction I was hoping for, can't wait to get my Sub 37 and start making music with it! :)
Last edited by Mike37 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:14 am

congrats on your purchase. Solid, solid solid. they are already calling the Sub37 the "synth of a generation".

only thing you will regret is that you didnt buy a second one and put it up in the attic for the future, like i have ;)

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:45 am

Blackout wrote:congrats on your purchase. Solid, solid solid. they are already calling the Sub37 the "synth of a generation".

only thing you will regret is that you didnt buy a second one and put it up in the attic for the future, like i have ;)
How long will you resist the urge to pull it down and try out the Poly-chain mode? :shock: