New user here, two questions about firmware 1.1 sequencer

Everything Sub.
GregVDS

New user here, two questions about firmware 1.1 sequencer

Post by GregVDS » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi,

I just finally ordered my sub 37 and await it. It should be here next tuesday or friday according to the shop. Let's hope it's as they say.

That will be my very first synth ever, and hope not to be totally lost (or maybe I hope to be ;-). I got a few questions about the new sequencer functionality added by the firmware 1.1:

I see one can easily enter 16 notes, edit each at will by designating it and playing another one. I see also that some of the notes can be silenced easily by switching them off.
Ok first question: is it possible to have a given note skipped, instead of silenced?

Next, I see one can easily also limit the length of the sequence. Amos showed in a demo video at the NAMM a 1-2 sequence limit, another 1-2-3-4, and another 1 to 8 limited sequence.
Second question: Is it possible to limit sequence beginning somewhere else than the first note, let's say 3-4, or 5-6-7? So it should be needed to point at the first and last note of the subset sequence...

These two features are present on the Doepfer Dark Energy, and seem quite useful to play with the sequence

A more generic question: I understand by reading how-to's and subjects here that firmware update is not the same kind of stuff than for a camera. I should install (Mac Os X here) some kind of sysex reader/loader application, that will play/load files into the sub 37, being careful not to loose connection between files playing/loading, not to go too fast for the sub 37 to cope with the file/sysex info sent to it. Kind of scary for the total noob I'm with this, but that sequencer new features call for update as soon as possible.
I understand also that v1.1 is still beta, distributed only on request to Moog, right?

I got already C6 and Sysex Librarian that are recommended for Mac Os X users. Which one seems to be the less error prone?
Do some of you totally bricked down their synth, or is it always a recover manipulation? I'd like not to crash my very irst Moog and synth just being rash and noob.

I begin to struggle finding youtube videos I still haven't seen about the sub 37, time to receive it :-).

Many thanks for your answers already.

Best Regards,

Greg

Hafhaf

Re: New user here, two questions about firmware 1.1 sequence

Post by Hafhaf » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi
My first post to this forum. My 37 manufactured February 15 arrived Friday. Love it. It already has the new update. But I have emailed moog support asking for written information on how to use the new features. Can't figure the mod assign shortcuts I saw Amos demonstrate in the pre namm YouTube with Nik from sonic state. Can't figure the sequencer stepping either. This fab synth will keep me occupied for months and more exploring. Prefer it's sound and adsr s to those of the Voyager OS I used to have. Maybe your 37 will come with the update.
Cheers

Howard
:D H

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Congrats - your going to love it! :D

Skips and rests are both possible. Yes.

Change Start Step and end Step. Yes.

Rotate the Steps and Ratcheting too! :D

Sorry I can't help you with the Sysex transfer on Mac but on PC with MidiOX I followed the instructions and it went very smoothly first time. :wink:

charbot

Post by charbot » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:47 pm

I wouldnt sweat the FW upgrades to much.
I think that Ive used both C6 and Sysex Librarian on a mac for FW upgrades, never had a problem. Once sending one of the file didnt work properly... but no bricking- I just resent the file and it worked. ( think that I sent the file too soon after the previous ended, just wait a few seconds between transfers for good measure)

breun

Post by breun » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:01 pm

GregVDS wrote:A more generic question: I understand by reading how-to's and subjects here that firmware update is not the same kind of stuff than for a camera. I should install (Mac Os X here) some kind of sysex reader/loader application, that will play/load files into the sub 37, being careful not to loose connection between files playing/loading, not to go too fast for the sub 37 to cope with the file/sysex info sent to it. Kind of scary for the total noob I'm with this, but that sequencer new features call for update as soon as possible.
I understand also that v1.1 is still beta, distributed only on request to Moog, right?

I got already C6 and Sysex Librarian that are recommended for Mac Os X users. Which one seems to be the less error prone?
Do some of you totally bricked down their synth, or is it always a recover manipulation? I'd like not to crash my very irst Moog and synth just being rash and noob.
General recommendation: just follow the upgrade instructions bundled with the particular firmware update to the letter and you should be fine. The instructions will tell you what program to use, what buttons to press in what order, etc. Moog used to recommend C6, but seems to have switched to SysEx Librarian for their most recent firmware update instructions for OS X. Moog might release a completely integrated updater (not requiring a third-party SysEx tool) in the future, who knows, but I'd just always read the bundled instructions carefully and do as you're told. :) Personally I've never had any issues upgrading my Sub Phatty or Sub 37.

For extra reassurance you might want to hold off on updating your synth the day a firmware update is released, wait a while and see if other users are reporting any issues. I know it's hard with all the new features coming up...

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:18 am

Thank you all for the answers about sequencer new functionalities and firmware updates.

Shall the manual be updated to cover the sequencer evolution, or the 1.1 release will be accompanied by one?

Instructions seem quite clear and easy to follow for the 1.07. I suppose I'll receive more info from Moog once I registered the Sub 37 (Maybe tomorrow, better take a day off wednesday...).

I know, always wait for the first bugs to show off :-).

Thanks again,

Greg

PS: I just watch the three parts of "Moog / A documentary" and that's a rather moving insight about Bob Moog philosophy and belief. I was touched to hear the man say stuff so simple and so intent about the importance of playing music for an audience, of interaction between the musician and its instrument. One of the most beautiful thought though was its conviction, or feeling that something of him, some kind of record of him was inside the instruments he conceived. I like that idea.

SuccessiveBeats

Post by SuccessiveBeats » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:39 am

Hi, Any news when the 1.1 will be released?
Can't find the 1.1 on the moog site... maybe I'm not looking @ the right place?

perkowitz

Post by perkowitz » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:59 pm

I've just gotten my Sub 37 as well, and I'm wondering if anyone knows when the new firmware is likely to be available? I'm really excited about the new features!

SuccessiveBeats

Post by SuccessiveBeats » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Is the 1.1 already available for download?

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Only beta at the moment, shouldn't be too long until it arrives but until then if you send a message to [email protected] he can send you a beta version to test out! :wink:

klay

Post by klay » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:43 am

ChiLam wrote:Congrats - your going to love it! :D

Skips and rests are both possible. Yes.

Change Start Step and end Step. Yes.

Rotate the Steps and Ratcheting too! :D
Hi, so it can do ratcheting! Can you explain how it works, I always wanted to be able to do tangerine dream sequencing. I want that firmware :D

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:45 am

It sure can! :D

At the moment you can choose which step/steps to apply it to and with a key press combo set the number of ratchets you desire (0-8).

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:48 pm

SN 3763 here! Amazingly happy with it. Couldn't we also begin a list of Sub37 SN users/location for the fun, like the little phatty list?

I just upgraded to bêta 1.0.13 without problem with the Mac Os X app that was in the zip file, through USB. Tomorrow, I'll play more with it.

Hafhaf

Post by Hafhaf » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Loving this forum and learning how from you folks. Moog rocks!
:D H