Sub 37 through effect: volume loss

Everything Sub.
willemw

Sub 37 through effect: volume loss

Post by willemw » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:35 am

Hi guys,

My set-up is:

Sub 37 => Behringer xenix 1204usb

When I add an effect (Sub 37 => EHX Memory Boy/TCE Hall of Fame => Behringer xenix 1204usb) there is a considerable amount of volume loss. I have to crank up the amp on the mixer so much that the background noise becomes annoyingly noticeable. Is this volume loss normal? I just don't seam to get a clean tone on a normal volume level.

Cheers!

Willem

breun

Re: Sub 37 through effect: volume loss

Post by breun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:05 am

Guitar effect pedals expect a high impedance instrument level signal, while synthesizers typically output a low impedance line level signal. This impedance mismatch may or may not be your problem. Google will probably have some reading material for you when you search for 'synthesizer effect pedal impedance'.

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:46 am

I agree totally with the above. I use guitar effects pedals but in order to match the impedence i use a reamp box. This takes a line level input and outputs at guitar level. They are really designed for taking a clean guitar recording so it can be put through a guitar amp allowing for remixing later on but also work just as well with synth and guitar effects pedals
you could also use a passive DI box in reverse but i haven't tried that. I doubt whether it would give as good results. But i could be wrong. I'm sure someone will correct me on this.
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 am

Good guitar pedals can accommodate both types of signals -- I'm using TCE Flashback delay and TC Hall of Fame reverb with Sub37 and a bunch of other analogue synths and they all work perfectly. There is a good reason for that: guitar pedals are typically chained, and output of a guitar pedal is a low impedance signal, so unless you want to design pedal that is always placed first, you have to make it compatible with wide impedance range.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

breun

Post by breun » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Some pedals definitely handle this better than others. Reordering effects might help.

JonLukas

Post by JonLukas » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:42 pm

I found that my Strymon BigSky reduced the audio quality of my Sub 37 a bit...it may be partly because I had to turn down the output of the Moog a bit in order to not overload the BigSky input.

I have now switched it so that I have the Sub 37 plugged right into the mixer, and the BigSky is hooked up through an aux send/return. Better sound quality, and now I don't have to worry so much about the Sub 37 output level. I can set the aux send to the BigSky to whatever level it needs without compromising the output level of the Sub 37. And I think it's better having the synth go right to the mixer rather than through the BigSky (even if the BigSky has an all analog path for the dry signal).
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

willemw

Post by willemw » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:32 am

Ok, thanks guys, I'll check that out.

paramnesia

Post by paramnesia » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:22 pm

+1 fx on mixer aux send & returns, or use a spare channel for effects return then take advantage of built in feedback loops (sending the effect out to the input), eq, and insert points for additional processing (midi gate, compression, dynamic eq)
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843