SUB37-Digital Stepping noise when sweeping filter with M/W

Everything Sub.
Backbeatdeano

SUB37-Digital Stepping noise when sweeping filter with M/W

Post by Backbeatdeano » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Hey guys, this isn't something i have noticed before, but yesterday i heard this digital stepping noise when sweeping the filter with the mod wheel. It actually sounds really bad, and i'm not sure if my Sub has developed a fault, or if this is just what happens when controlling things with the Mod wheel?

Does anyone else experience the same thing? To replicate turn all Osc and noise off, set Res to full. In the Mod 1 section turn filter Mod all the way up and then sweep with the mod wheel. Are you getting this stepping noise too?

This doesn't happen when sweeping the filter with the actual Cut off filter knob so im wondering if it might be a problem with the Mod wheel not sending smooth enough data to the filter?

Amos, if your there maybe you could shed a bit of light on this subject?

Anywho i've attached a wav file so you can hear what im talking about.

Audio example - https://www.dropbox.com/s/51cixzxj8t9b8 ... e.wav?dl=0

Cheers peeps
Dean

Backbeatdeano

Re: SUB37-Digital Stepping noise when sweeping filter with M

Post by Backbeatdeano » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:17 pm

BUMP!

Anyone fancy firing up their Sub quickly and seeing if they can replicate this behaviour?

cheers now :-)

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:06 pm

i hadn't noticed that before either... but there may be some filtering on the cutoff pot that is not applied to the mod wheel. The filter cutoff is the widest-range parameter on the entire synth... it covers the entire audible range from 20Hz to 20kHz... so of all parameters it's the one that can highlight any stepping the easiest.

I will have a look at this tomorrow and see if I can make some improvements.

Backbeatdeano

Post by Backbeatdeano » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:00 am

Thanks very much Amos! Your hard work is very much appreciated!

I end up using the mod wheel quite a lot as I'm usually controlling several parameters at the same time whilst playing a note with my other hand so to get the Mod wheel a bit smoother would be great! Can't wait for the next update 8)

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:29 am

interesting - i noticed a bit of stepping when driving my sub 37 with an old akai ewi - i map the breath pressure to mod wheel on the akai, then have the sub map mod wheel to filter cutoff. i thought it might be low res mod wheel info from the akai, but was a bit suprised when my minibrute can sweep the filter with the akai without any stepping at all - doesn't sound a patch on the moog though :-) would be amazing if you could tweak it amos - thanks as always for your efforts!