37's Audio input patching

Everything Sub.
ChiLam

37's Audio input patching

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi,

Pretty new to the world of hardware synths and i'm wondering about ways of using the external audio inputs on synthesizers.

I have (or will have when it returns from repair) a Minibrute and a Sub37 both of which have external audio inputs.

I'm curious about doing the following and whether it is a creatively useful thing to do -:

Patch one of the audio outputs of the Sub37 into the external input of Minibrute, then take the output of the Minibrute and patch it back into the external input of the Sub37?

Would this let me use the Minibrutes HP/BP/Notch Filter on the 37's Oscs and at the same time let me use the Minibrutes Oscs (1+Sub) as extra Oscs together with the 37's?

Can you see a benefit to this config or am I asking for trouble?

Any advice much apprecieated.

_DemonDan_

Re: 37's Audio input patching

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:46 pm

ChiLam wrote:Patch the HEADPHONE OUT of the Sub 37 into the AUDIO In of MiniBrute, then take the MASTER Out of the MiniBrute and patch it back into the AUDIO IN of the Sub 37?

Would this let me use the MiniBrutes HP/BP/Notch Filter on the 37's Oscs and at the same time let me use the MiniBrutes Oscs (1+Sub) as extra Oscs together with the 37's? Can you see a benefit to this config or am I asking for trouble?
The answer is both. You will get benefits as well as the potential for screaming feedback (which may or may not be desirable).

Start simple:
Take the MASTER Out of the MiniBrute and patch it into the AUDIO IN of the Sub 37.

Connect MIDI OUT of the Sub 37 to the MIDI In of the MiniBrute.

Set MiniBrute Filter to initially be out of the way (like LP with Cutoff fully up).

Set MiniBrute AMPLIFICATION ENVELOPE to Min, Min, Max, Max.

Now you can use the Sub 37's FDBK/EXT IN knob (with button lit) to add MiniBrute Oscillators.

Play with this setup until you fully understand the implications.

Then reverse all the audio (Sub 37 AUDIO OUT to MiniBrute AUDIO In) and play with that.

Only then should you try a complete loop of Sub 37 -> MiniBrute-> Sub 37.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:15 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Start simple:
Take the MASTER Out of the MiniBrute and patch it into the AUDIO IN of the Sub 37.

Connect MIDI OUT of the Sub 37 to the MIDI In of the MiniBrute.

Set MiniBrute Filter to initially be out of the way (like LP with Cutoff fully up).

Set MiniBrute AMPLIFICATION ENVELOPE to Min, Min, Max, Max.

Now you can use the Sub 37's FDBK/EXT IN knob (with button lit) to add MiniBrute Oscillators.

Play with this setup until you fully understand the implications.

Then reverse all the audio (Sub 37 AUDIO OUT to MiniBrute AUDIO In) and play with that.

Only then should you try a complete loop of Sub 37 -> MiniBrute-> Sub 37.
Many thanks once again good sir! Sounds as though it was astute to enquire before attempting this :)

I shall follow your recommendations and experiment in a controlled manner before attempting the "complete loop" configuration.

Just out of interest, is there a common term of reference for this type of "complete loop" config that others might recognise?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:19 pm

ChiLam wrote:Just out of interest, is there a common term of reference for this type of "complete loop" config that others might recognise?
Yes, it's commonly known as The Triple Lindy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDMMYT3vkTk
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:08 pm

:D !

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:50 pm

:lol:

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:54 am

That movie is sooo funny! Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

Inspired by this thread, I spent last night using the Audio In as an effect processor for the small-but-mighty Dr. Synth DS-330. Sent a Synth String Pad thru the Sub37 and used its Filter and MODs to create a syncopated "wah" type effect (using a S&H sync'd to the clock-beat).

Also had a MicroBrute going, and sent half the drum signal thru its Audio In for processing. Never got around to patching up The Full Lindy. Some Brave Day, perhaps.

FWIW: I have dedicated Bank16 entirely to Audio Input patches.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 am

Good news = Got a new Minibrute back today!
Bad news = It has the same issues as the one I sent back

Nevertheless I intend to work my way towards the Full Lindy by the end of the week!

Would love to hear some examples of using the Audio inputs of their synths :D