[Sub 37] Pitch wheel mis-calibrated?

Everything Sub.
michaelforrest

[Sub 37] Pitch wheel mis-calibrated?

Post by michaelforrest » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:36 am

I have a new Sub 37 and I've noticed when I use the pitch wheel the pitch bend range is off - the whole pitch bend range seems to be controlled by pushing in the 'up' direction and pulling in the 'down' direction does not do anything. This has the additional effect that when I use the pitch wheel, everything gets stuck two semitones too low, because it thinks that the center position is all the way 'down'. Does that make sense? Is this a hardware, configuration or firmware problem?

breun

Re: [Sub 37] Pitch wheel mis-calibrated?

Post by breun » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:22 am

See page 37 of the manual for the BEND UP and BEND DOWN parameters. These parameters can be set independently and are saved per patch. It could be that BEND DOWN is set to 0 for your current patch? That doesn't explain your problem with everything getting stuck two semitones too low though.

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:05 am

Hi there,

Andy Hughes from Moog Tech Support here.

It could be a simple matter of the pitch wheel being miscalibrated. If you will contact me at [email protected] I can send you some .syx files and instructions for calibrating all of the pots on your instrument, including the pitch and mod wheels.

I suspect this will likely correct your issue.

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

rupect

Post by rupect » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:17 pm

I have the same problem. It only arose after re-calibrating the pots to address another issue.

When I recalibrate now, the pitch wheel behaves as it should, however, every time I power the synth back up, the problem returns.

I've been in touch with a great service tech at Moog, who thinks the eprom may need to be replaced, but having just stumbled on this thread, I thought I'd chime in before sending it in for repairs.

Any chance this was resolved or further investigated to know what the issue is?

Thanks.

rupect

Post by rupect » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Just a bump... Was this resolved?

Thanks.

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:55 am

I have exactly the same problem, pitch wheel down doesn t do anything and in normal position i m 2 semu tone below
Is it a firmware problem?
anybody have informations?

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:42 pm

Incredible, i ve pluged a master keyboard in midi to control the sub 37 and the pitch wheel of the master keyboard works perfectly and suddenly the pitch wheel of the sub began to work good, may be the midi has recalibrated the sub 37!!!!!
Now it works ok, but i d like to have the explanation

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 am

Too bad this morning it doesn t work!!!!!!

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:14 pm

I will look into this, sounds like there may be a subtle calibration bug in the pitch wheel.
I would recommend against replacing any EEPROM until I've had a closer look.
More soon...
-Amos

edit: I checked this morning and I don't see any problem in the code.. I am able to do a wrong calibration and I get the same symptom as reported here... but if I then do the calibration correctly, the correct calibration is saved and is reloaded correctly when I turn off the power and turn it back on. everything looks like it should.

I will contact folks on this thread to see if they want to try a calibration using the newest firmware, to see if the problem is really fixed or not.

If you suspect a problem with EEPROM, here is a test: save a preset to memory, with a changed name. If the name change is correctly saved (you reload the preset and it has the new changed name) then the EEPROM is basically working. In this case there is some other problem with the calibration... maybe it's your technique. If you do the calibration incorrectly it will definitely cause problems... for example if you forget to hold the pitch wheel all the way down while sending the "pot cal low" sysex.. or if you do what I did and forget to turn the Master Volume down when doing the pot cal low... problems. :) One must be careful.

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:32 pm

Thank you Amos, apparently it s not an eprom problem, well i ve never tried to calibrate the pitch wheel by myself because i don t have the sysex files.
Now it seems to work correctly but sometimes not....
May be the next firmware will solve the problem?

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I m a bit fed up with my problem, i wrote an email to Andy tu get the sysex file and the procedure to calibrate mod wheel but I have no answer!

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Ok i received the sysex files, i did the calibration, but finally the result is the same, sometimes it works sometimes not.
It s really boring because when it doesn t work and i use the pitch wheel, the the wheel comes back to the center position, the moog is out of tune!!!

kleindrums

Post by kleindrums » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:09 am

I have the same problem! When I only touch the pitch wheel, the whole synth pitch modulates up, and stays on this pitch, which makes it sounding out of tune, and impossible to play with other instruments...!
What can I do?

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:35 am

Well it seems many of us has this problem and this is noe EEPROM problem and recalibrating does nothing.
For the moment it seems there is nothing to do.

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:35 am

Now the pitch is blocked to semi tone up as i touch the pitch wheel.
I m really fed up