[Sub 37] Pitch wheel mis-calibrated?

Everything Sub.
Blackout

Re: [Sub 37] Pitch wheel mis-calibrated?

Post by Blackout » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:43 am

i wonder if the easy way to recalibrate via hardware is not an alternative if you are getting driven completely mad (or until the bug is tracked down)...loosen the screws for the pitch mod plate...lift up and see the wheels underneath, using an allen key you loosen off the pitch wheel from the pot and spin the pot until its centered?

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi guys,

Andy from the Moog Tech Lab here.

If recalibrating the pitch wheel(and other pots) is not permanently correcting the issue, and it does not appear to be an EEPROM issue as described by Amos above, then it is entirely possible that there is a defective or damaged potentiometer in the pitch wheel.

We will be happy to assist you with setting up and RMA to get your synth repaired under warranty, and we apologize for the trouble. We test all of our gear very thoroughly before it leaves our factory, but despite our best efforts at due diligence sometimes the types of situations happen.

Rest assured, Moog will stand behind our products, and we will do our best to make the repair process as quick and hassle free as possible.

Please contact me directly for assistance in setting up the RMA: [email protected] or by phone (828) 251-0090 (tech support extensions are 221, 217, and 204).

Thank you,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:02 am

Ok, after a month an half in repair, I got my sub37.
Apparently, many sub 37 had the same problem, they had to change the pitch wheel and the cutoff too, I bought my Moog 7 month ago in a store in Paris, it was new!!!!!

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:49 am

Ok, after 1,5 month repairs at Mesi in Paris, got my Moog yesterday, everything was ok....until today....same problem.......and Im very far to be the only one, pitch wheel problem and cut off problems on a lot of these machines, very very bad keyboard.....
Moog sub 37 returned to the store today;;;Bye bye moog first and last time i buy.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:10 am

I believe that this is software related. After updating my Sub 37s to the latest firmware, they both exhibited the same issue.

After performing the entire calibration routine (Low, Hi, Center) on both, they both work fine consistently.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:09 am

Yes but unfortunatly....only for a short time, you will have the same problems soon, and big troubles with the cut off too!!!!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:27 am

Iscariah wrote:Yes but unfortunatly....only for a short time, you will have the same problems soon...
Hi Iscariah,

If that's true, and the Pitch Bend issue really does come back, it's still just a firmware issue.

I've been using one of my Sub 37s for over a year now and the PB issue only happened right after the last update.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Iscariah

Post by Iscariah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:25 pm

sorry but this is a hardware problem, we had this problem long before upgrading newest firmware.
i was at the repair station store, many moog sub 37 were there with problems too, the store ordered a big quantity of pitch wheel and the same for the cutoff....
this is not serious from Moog to release such a keyboard with so bad issues and with a 30 dollars keyboard made in China....if Bob was still here he wouln t have let that thing happen....

autoprod

Post by autoprod » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:02 am

Blackout wrote:i wonder if the easy way to recalibrate via hardware is not an alternative if you are getting driven completely mad (or until the bug is tracked down)...loosen the screws for the pitch mod plate...lift up and see the wheels underneath, using an allen key you loosen off the pitch wheel from the pot and spin the pot until its centered?
Hi - You're on to something..

I've encountered this issue with several different synths through the years - and for the subphatty and sub37 as well, a problem lies in the wheel's grip on the potentiometer. When the pitch wheel bounces in place, the pot might not follow all the way, and so the shaft moves a bit each time, not returning to the mid position. This is a construction involving glue, and can be remedied with the same:

* Remove the pitch and mod wheel board
* Remove the little metal bracket that holds the top of the pot to be fixed
* Adjust so that center position fits the mid value of the pot (around 5K from centre to side pins), apply a drop of strong glue where the top of the shaft meets the plastic of the wheel, carefully, so it doesn't spill into the pot itself and doesn't leave residue that can cause friction once the bracket is in place again

File under general advice, proceed at own risk etc...
- S. Jantti

brandonbv

Post by brandonbv » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:38 pm

My first issue with the SUB 37 was not being able to update to the new firmware automatically. I tried multiple times using my MAC connecting the USB directly to my iMac. I was able to update it the alternative manual way as provided with the downloaded instructions.

Since updating to the new firmware, my pitch wheel simply does not work no matter which direction I move it. I do not really know how to recalibrate it at this point and am wondering if I've gotten a faulty unit. I am a novice when it comes to Synthesizers, but this doesn't appear to be normal. I'll continue to try to find answers and keep playing around with it but I think I'm either missing something or I've got a faulty unit.

Nyarlothep

Post by Nyarlothep » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi,

I have a brand new Sub 37 on hand that seems to have the pitch wheel issue - it can't seem to stay in tune. Now I'm not a synth hound I'm just a bass player that dabbles (but is very interested in) synths. I am very disappointed that this issue exists on this machine and not my cheepo volca keys. Right now as it stands the thing has lost all pitch wheel functionality; this happened as I was double checking for the thousandth time as I was writing this. The odd thing is that it seems this has sort of fixed the tuning issue as the tuner I used endlessly prove to myself that something is wrong is now registering correct notes in the initial preset patch. Like I said no pitch wheel functionality - I am on the newest firmware 1.1.0. What do I do now - warranty? I live In Turkey and I did buy it from a reputable seller but I'd like to make sure there isn't something afoot like some setting I am not aware of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi guys,

Andy from the Moog Tech Lab here.

If recalibrating the pitch wheel(and other pots) is not permanently correcting the issue, and it does not appear to be an EEPROM issue as described by Amos above, then it is entirely possible that there is a defective or damaged potentiometer in the pitch wheel.

We will be happy to assist you with setting up and RMA to get your synth repaired under warranty, and we apologize for the trouble. We test all of our gear very thoroughly before it leaves our factory, but despite our best efforts at due diligence sometimes the types of situations happen.

Rest assured, Moog will stand behind our products, and we will do our best to make the repair process as quick and hassle free as possible.

Please contact me directly for assistance in setting up the RMA: [email protected] or by phone (828) 251-0090 (tech support extensions are 221, 217, and 204).

Thank you,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

brandonbv

Post by brandonbv » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Can someone advise on how to recalibrate the pitch wheel (and other pots)? I would really like to try the above suggestion before sending off to get repaired.

Thank You.

dhocks76

Post by dhocks76 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:01 pm

ok.. seems i have the same issues.. :(
I did calibrate a few times (properly!) but it didn't solve the problem.

But before I send it away for repairs, did the replacement did the trick for anyone? :?:

(to answer the last post: contact support, they will send you the calibration sysex's)

chicovinko

Post by chicovinko » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:21 am

Hello. I am having the same pitchwheel calibration issue. Has there been any updates to this?
(I just updated to firmware v1.1.0, and it is still an issue)

Here are a few other things I have noted:

- The pitch goes farther out of tune the more you increase the range of the pitch wheel. For example, if it's at -0, there is no detuning. If I set it to -24, it detunes around 6 semitones. The pitch up is not affected by this.

- I can get it to reset sometimes, but as soon as I bend the pitch wheel down, the same problem returns.

Another issue I found is that if I change my Pot Mode in the Global Settings to THRU, then the next time I turn it on, the volume control doesn't work. (Even if I sweep it across the whole spectrum)

If I set it back to ABS, the volume control works again.

Any updates/answers would be appreciated.

Thank you