Everything Sub.
ImNotDedYet

Re: Sub 37 Firmware 1.1 coming - Video demo with Amos

Post by ImNotDedYet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:53 pm

Science wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:
Science wrote:
mmarsh100 wrote:Without explicit permission from Moog, I would say no
Ridiculous! Moog is giving it out freely and already stated that it is a beta and and can not be responsible for errors. as
As someone who has owned over 45 synths in the past 35 years (counting doubles) i would say i can handle it.
Not ridiculous.

It's typical that beta users agree to specific things in order to be a beta tester - such as how to and perhaps how often to submit bug reports, agreements from a legal standpoint that it's beta, could screw up your system and as such you accept the responsibility, etc.

In this litigious age, I don't see anything ridiculous about it at all.
Very Ridiculous.

well we will have to agree to disagree on what is and is not Ridiculous.
I have a degree in Engineering and my very first Engineering class was a stupid class about Engineering ethics in which we learned why that ever-popular sticker is on lawnmowers that says "please keep hands and feet away from blade while it's in motion." Now, one would think that most anyone capable of reading the sticker would also have the common sense to keep their hands and feet away from a moving mower blade, but there was once this guy who didn't and as a way to CYA by the lawnmower making companies, they put this sticker there from that point on. Because guess what...the company lost the case. Moral of the story: as an engineer you need to try to envision all ways possible that someone might use your product.

I don't know if Moog does this for betas - I mean, it's a synthesizer. But I could envision a scenario where some professional studio has a Sub37 and a patch ready to record for an upcoming deadline, but installs the latest beta which bricks their Sub and now either they have to come up with a patch on a different synth which isn't as good or blow the deadline. And now they lose some contract yada yada yada. And...they sue Moog.

Ridiculous? Yes. Realistic possibility? Yes. Ridiculous that someone would consider suing in this case? Yes. But unfortunately, that's the way things are here in the States. Perhaps you live in a country that isn't so sue-happy, but I work for a hardware company (not music hardware) and we have a beta program. And people have to sign up for it because they have to agree to terms for it.

Just remember that in the morning when you're drinking your freshly purchased coffee contained in a cup that has a warning that the contents inside are hot either on the cup itself or on the lid.

subq

Post by subq » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Amos has stated not to do any testing before you are about to use your Sub for production. :)

I use mine in a home studio so...no problemo.

Science

Post by Science » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:21 pm

well a few emails was definitely worth the effort! this update is an upGRADE. the only thing i see is that after you learn a destination the mod page does not update the parameter information until AFTER you have saved the patch and come back to view the parameter. Other than that the seq is so much more fun than it already was. can you assign the source in a similar way that the destinations can be assigned?
Current setup: 2 Prophet 08 Modules, Analog 4, Slim Phatty, Blofeld, FA-08, Pulse 2, Sub 37

lushr

Post by lushr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:33 am

Litigation is much easier and more affordable in the States than most other countries. Which is a relief for the rest of us.

The moog manual for the sub 37 is full of fun tidbits and facts that it seems they gave to say so they do it with style and meaning. Like humans rather than lawyers.

Yet another reason to love moog.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:05 pm

Science wrote:well a few emails was definitely worth the effort! this update is an upGRADE. the only thing i see is that after you learn a destination the mod page does not update the parameter information until AFTER you have saved the patch and come back to view the parameter. Other than that the seq is so much more fun than it already was. can you assign the source in a similar way that the destinations can be assigned?
'
Really curious to find out if the new way to edit sequences using the bank buttons is limited to 16 step sequences only or is it possible to scroll through and edit all 64 possible notes somehow?

Science

Post by Science » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:12 pm

]Just remember that in the morning when you're drinking your freshly purchased coffee contained in a cup that has a warning that the contents inside are hot either on the cup itself or on the lid.
i dont live in fear of coffee or litigation. if i did i could imagine getting sued for almost anything and it would be a complete waste of my time. as was any worry about maybe having to reinstall an older version of the firmware. i have done betas and update to many times to worry about it. the only deterrent would have been reports of testers sub 37's becoming bricked which did not happen.
If you are going to make an argument from authority then i will as well. I have been a software developer for about 22 years and the beta has always been handed out with a disclaimer and no worries of law suits. because it would be ridiculous after a disclaimer that is standard for someone to expect any remedy at all. Moog is not the only company that releases betas to the public.
DSI does for example and they're synths DO have a chance of becoming bricked in an update unlike the sub 37.
Current setup: 2 Prophet 08 Modules, Analog 4, Slim Phatty, Blofeld, FA-08, Pulse 2, Sub 37

Science

Post by Science » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:17 pm

ChiLam wrote:'
Really curious to find out if the new way to edit sequences using the bank buttons is limited to 16 step sequences only or is it possible to scroll through and edit all 64 possible notes somehow?
i am trying to figure out how to scroll right now. if i can ill post the results.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Science wrote:
ChiLam wrote:'
i am trying to figure out how to scroll right now. if i can ill post the results.
Brilliant, thanks so much :D

Science

Post by Science » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:36 pm

its pretty easy. you just hold the bank button then press the right octave button to scroll to the next set of 16 notes. the left button goes the other way. the only problem is once again there is not any indication of your position in the LCD. i would like more feedback from the LCD esp when changing parameter values. previewing them would be nice too. like holding bank and turning a knob would not edit the value but show the current position in the LCD.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Science wrote:its pretty easy. you just hold the bank button then press the right octave button to scroll to the next set of 16 notes. the left button goes the other way. the only problem is once again there is not any indication of your position in the LCD. i would like more feedback from the LCD esp when changing parameter values. previewing them would be nice too. like holding bank and turning a knob would not edit the value but show the current position in the LCD.
Exellent! Good suggestions too, I agree that the LCD display has not been utilised enough for feedback on paramaters - would be a waste if this was not dealt with imho!

Thanks again for the info - i'm now even more excited by the upcoming release :D

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:35 pm

Science wrote:2 Prophet 08 Modules, Analog 4, Slim Phatty, Blofeld, FA-08, Pulse 2, Sub 37
Loan me yer rig for a bit, eh? :mrgreen:

subq

Post by subq » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Science wrote:its pretty easy. you just hold the bank button then press the right octave button to scroll to the next set of 16 notes. the left button goes the other way. the only problem is once again there is not any indication of your position in the LCD. i would like more feedback from the LCD esp when changing parameter values. previewing them would be nice too. like holding bank and turning a knob would not edit the value but show the current position in the LCD.
I believe the LCD indicates what page you are on, I will need to boot up when I get back to the studio but I seem to remember it being there.

Amos stated that if you have suggestions on better key combinations let him know...I haven't been able to come up with better ones, he has it pretty nailed. :)

DiScO197

Post by DiScO197 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:46 pm

damodafoca wrote:Nice !!! Firmware's update for my Sub Pha...

Oh....

Sorry. :roll:
That's exactly what I thought...

MemorY

Post by MemorY » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:22 pm

It looks pretty awesome!
Ableton Live 9 - Ableton Push - Maschine 2.2 - DDJ-SX2

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:47 am

Eagerly awaiting
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303