sub 37 bass

Everything Sub.
torinkrell

Re: sub 37 bass

Post by torinkrell » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Franklinstower - best of luck with your music and your band. One of the reasons that its hard to synthesize the sound of a Rhodes Bass Piano on any analog synth is that the harmonic intervals of struck metal rods are different from most acoustic instruments and analog synth waveforms. This is especially prominent with the bright overtones produced when a note is first struck. Yes you can offset the oscillators and use other tricks but even the emulation of a piano sound (where strings are struck) has some of the same challenge. I hope you truly enjoy your new Rhodes Bass Piano!
Last edited by torinkrell on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:22 pm

torinkrell wrote:Franklinstower - best of luck with your music and your band. One of the reasons that its hard to reproduce the sound of a Rhodes Bass Piano is that the harmonic intervals of struck metal rods is different than most acoustic instruments and analog synth waveforms. This is especially prominent with the bright overtones when the note is first struck. Yes you can offset the oscillators and use other tricks but even the emulation of a piano sound (where strings are struck) has some of the same challenge. I hope you truly enjoy your new Rhodes Bass Piano!

Thanks a lot man. A Moog is still in my future though having had this one for the last couple of weeks its been just amazing-- cant justify the purchase though when I still need my staple instrument.

I notice a bunch of effects pedals that Moog offers but do they have one more expensive unti that does a lot of effects for bass? I really need wah which comes from envelopes but would also want more than that.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:19 pm

Hey Franklinstower. Congrats on your decision to get the Vintage Vibes :) I must say their pianos make me sweat, as well as the Vibanet...

If you're sold on analogue synths -I know we're on a Moog forum- maybe you could check out other brands; they may have something more compatible with your new acquisition. Arturia Minibrute? Used Little Phatty? Just saying :)

If you plan to plug your VV directly in a mixer, you can still consider the Tech 21 VT Bass or any other model in their Character Series.

Please, please demo your VV when it arrives :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:17 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:Hey Franklinstower. Congrats on your decision to get the Vintage Vibes :) I must say their pianos male me sweat, as well as the Vibanet...

If you're sold on analogue synths -I know we're on a Moog forum- maybe you could check out other brands; they may have something more compatible with your new acquisition. Arturia Minibrute? Used Little Phatty? Just saying :)

If you plan to plug your VV directly in a mixer, you can still consider the Tech 21 CT Bass or any other model in their Character Series.

Please, please demo your VV when it arrives :)
I am not set up to demo the VV-- sorry. Really looking forward to getting it- six weeks out after you order it though... What I really want to do is be able to make psychedelic sounds with it for the more spacey parts of our music. I will check out those synths you recommend and see what fits -- any other suggestions would be great. I saw a demo recently with like five moogerfooger pedals all set up with a bass guitar and it sounded really good and trippy.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Sun May 10, 2015 3:02 pm

I ended up not getting the VV piano. I opted with the sub 37 instead. I just could not get the sub 37 out of my head for some reason so I reordered it.

I found a bass setting that seems to fit perfectly into the mix of the music I play even though it does not sound like a bass guitar. But it sounds perfect.

Filter is at 320Hz

Both oscillators at 16 and are hard synced, triangle wave and set at 5

No feedback, no sub oscillator, no resonance and no multidrive.

Eg amount is up just a little.

Attack is max and no release or sometimes I run it with the tiniest release you can get.

Keyboard tracking is 1:1

This setup sound amazing for any rock and roll bass and it is better than passable while playing with acoustic instruments. I was having dreams of all the sounds I had been getting out of the sub after I took it back.......

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun May 10, 2015 5:30 pm

franklinstower wrote:I ended up not getting the VV piano. I opted with the sub 37 instead. I just could not get the sub 37 out of my head for some reason so I reordered it.
[...]
I was having dreams of all the sounds I had been getting out of the sub after I took it back.......
Excellent :lol:

Glad you're glad!

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Sun May 10, 2015 8:20 pm

^^^^^^

I must be pretty weird to want to play bass in a folksy jam band on a freaking Moog synth but, well, that's the instrument I want to play on. :D

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon May 11, 2015 8:38 am

"Pretty weird" sometimes rhymes with "invention" :)

DaveBee

Post by DaveBee » Tue May 12, 2015 11:23 am

As a bass player the moog bass sound is my favorite synth bass. I often go to the Rezzo Bass patch (or variation of it) ... it works great for lead sounds too in the higher octaves.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue May 12, 2015 2:19 pm

The Little Phatty and my left hand form the bass player of one of my bands too.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Tue May 12, 2015 10:22 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:The Little Phatty and my left hand form the bass player of one of my bands too.

That's good to hear man. When I first had the sub 37 I couldn't get the right bass out of it as far as it fitting in perfectly for the music I like to play. What I found is that the release on the envelope was set to last too long and it was somehow changing the tone of the bass setting I was using. It makes it sound kind of like its in a can or else like its ringy?..... Anyway cutting the release to almost 0 and then getting a better speaker has made me feel like I may never need another bass instrument.

Its been great getting phat rich smooth bass tones out of this thing. I like how you can go from totally smooth creamy bass-- change the filter setting a bit, adjust slope, use feedback and multidrive and get lots of nice distortion out of it. Also the LFO's are great for tremolo and are really suitable for lots of scenarios for the music I like to play.

All in all I am pretty impressed with this thing and its only growing on me over time.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun May 17, 2015 9:56 am

About the LFO, precisely, I sometimes use it as a rythmic trick: using the saw down wave form on the filter cut off frequency and/or amp, you can get kind of a eighth note pattern just keeping the key pressed. A bit lazy but I've got my reasons :)

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Mon May 18, 2015 5:20 am

If in the future you decide you really need that metalic sound, you could always go for either a wavetable synth like blofeld or an FM synth. DX7's are quite cheap but a pig to program. Other alternatives are analogue synths with FM. Check out things like Novation bass station2 or other Moog stuff with FM.
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 pm

mattyp wrote:If in the future you decide you really need that metalic sound, you could always go for either a wavetable synth like blofeld or an FM synth. DX7's are quite cheap but a pig to program. Other alternatives are analogue synths with FM. Check out things like Novation bass station2 or other Moog stuff with FM.

I don't know what you mean by metallic sound-- I'm pretty brand new to synthesis and also pretty new as a musician..

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Tue May 19, 2015 1:17 am

Hi francklinstower,

That's a nice turn you did :-). Please can I ask you to contribute to this thread, just for the records: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23186?

It helps us all to track down whatever problem (or no problem at all) to render a better picture of the Sub37 forces and weaknesses if any.

All the best with that new Sub37 :-)!

Greg